Brewer Fanatic

Brian Giles? (so the SD Tribune claims)

From Rotoworld:

http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif The Mets, Brewers, and Cardinals have apparently expressed interest in Brian Giles.
Giles has said he wants to play for the Padres in 2009, but would like to finish this year with a contender. He could have his 2009 option changed from a club to a player option so that he can get back to San Diego after this year no matter where he lands. That option is worth $11 million if he's dealt and he's owed another $3 million this season. The Padres would likely require a team to take on that remaining salary and would expect better prospects than those they received for Randy Wolf.

I assume this is speculation from a newspaper that wants a piece of our sweet prospect pie. Does he really fill enough of a need to be worth paying for, or can we just laugh this off?

Giles would follow Melvin's comments about the team trying to add as many good players as possible. He's not just good hitting RHPs, he's pretty good hitting LHPs as a LH hitter, and obviously has the versatility to play all 3 OF spots.

I just don't know if the team would trade for Giles knowing that the OF situation is pretty set as is. You can't take Braun out regularly, and Hart shouldn't see that much time on the bench either, while Cameron is being paid to be a starter. It would be a nice problem to have though regardless, and Giles would give the team a player that actually knows how to draw a walk at a good clip.

I really dig Mark Attanasio as an owner, but if they were to get Giles, I have a hard time believing that they will lose money this year. I'd love this as a baseball move, but he's owed quite a bit of cash. Again, I would be in favor of the move, but this would scream to me that the previous statement about the financial implications of the Sabathia trade was kind of bull crap.

I would not laugh this off, Giles still has value.

I would bet against it actually happening, if the Padres want a solid player return, and no financial obligation.

Edit: Prepare yourselves, if the Brewers really are pursuing Giles, there are only two logical candidates to drop from the roster. One would be a reliever, which I don't think they'll do - the other is....Russell Branyan.

Given the fact that he has already gone public about wanting to play for San Diego in 09, it shouldn't take much to get him. I say we do it now and never look back. Branyan had his time, everyone assumed he would come back down to earth and it has definitely happened.

This guy still has some power too, it just doesn't show in the stats because of Petco Park. He's a solid defender as well. He would not only be great on the bench but would push Hart in RF.

Here's something else, though. What about compensation when he walks after the season? Wouldn't he be considered a type A guy? Trading some lower level prospects, getting his production off the bench, and then getting ANYTHING in terms of picks is a steal of a deal. I say do it now..

really dig Mark Attanasio as an owner, but if they were to get Giles, I have a hard time believing that they will lose money this year.

The team specifically said they were looking to add a bat and an arm after getting CC, so one could assume they were prepared to lose more money. This wouldn't change that at all.

Melvin could be looking at the market for arms and make the evaluation that the trade market is overpriced for what he is willing to give up right now. If he feels that Giles is available for a price that he won't regret, he does improve the team. As said above, he could easily get two starts a week by giving Cameron one day a week off and Braun/Hart one day off every two weeks. He is also insurance should something happen to the starting 3, and he is a nice PH to have when he isn't starting.

Edit: Prepare yourselves, if the Brewers really are pursuing Giles, there are only two logical candidates to drop from the roster. One would be a reliever, which I don't think they'll do - the other is....Russell Branyan.

Do you think Branyan would be more likely to go over Kapler? If Giles is on the roster, Kapler is reduced to fewer PH, defensive replacement and pinch running. I just don't think there would be any starts left for him. It is clear that Branyan's role has been reduced recently, so I understand why you would say that. That would leave us with Counsell as the only backup IF. I guess if Giles is available for the right price, you make the move and sort out the details later.

I do think Branyan would go over Kapler, we'd have Durham and Counsell as backup infielders....and Branyan could be stashed at Nashville, to be right back here if someone got hurt.

You're right, how could I forget Durham. I do wonder if Branyan wouldn't be picked up though. If Sexson can get a job this season, some desperate team might take a chance with Branyan.

The team specifically said they were looking to add a bat and an arm after getting CC, so one could assume they were prepared to lose more money. This wouldn't change that at all.

As you said, you forgot Durham. I'm not saying anything other than I really doubt that the team is going to lose money (or were at that point at that time) if they were to add Durham AND Giles after making that statement. Just my opinion. I'd love to see Giles added.

As you said, you forgot Durham. I'm not saying anything other than I really doubt that the team is going to lose money (or were at that point at that time) if they were to add Durham AND Giles after making that statement. Just my opinion.

Amazingly I remembered Durham when thinking about acquisitions and forgot about him when thinking about roster construction. My point was that the team was already prepared to make two moves after they got CC. This would be a 2nd move, so I don't see why this move would change anything.

There's no limit to how much money a team can lose in a season, and the team has been quite profitable since Attanasio has taken over the team, so there's no reason to think that money wouldn't be able to fund a somewhat significant loss this season.

Salome + Cain + Gwynn for

2.5 months of Giles

3 years of Heath Bell

2 comp picks from Giles

It'd probably take more than that.

Giles can start verse almost every RHP, taking either Hart's spot or Cameron's with Hart sliding to CF. He is definitely good enough to pepper in some time against LHP too. He would be huge in our leadoff spot. Could help Rickie too, sliding down to 6th or 7th.

I'm flabbergasted. I can't imagine they'd do this. It would have to be an absolutely perfect fit trade wise. Hart is slumping though. But if this cost us anything in terms of significant minor leaguers I'd pass.

Archived