Brewer Fanatic

Yankees acquire Nady and Marte

twobrewers

Jose Tabata looked like a huge prospect until this season. His OPS in A+ last year was .763, but he was only 18. He's cratered this year in AA though. They say he's a bit of a clubhouse cancer and that he likes McDonald's a little too much, but he's a guy I'm worried about a division rival having.

If the Brewers had Tabata, I wouldn't have wanted them to give him up in this deal as his upside seems too high to waste on two average-ish guys, but the Yanks will get to keep Marte and Nady in 2009 if they want and Tabata could wash out (some would say he's in the process of doing that now).

Marte is just a typical LOOGY at this point (and no don't quote his ERA/WHIP to me without looking deeper). Nady has never been anything other than a mediocre OF until this year which to me is most likely a fluke.

I don't really see the issue here, the Pirates got plenty for a couple of mediocre guys.

Marte is just a typical LOOGY at this point (and no don't quote his ERA/WHIP to me without looking deeper). Nady has never been anything other than a mediocre OF until this year which to me is most likely a fluke.

I don't really see the issue here, the Pirates got plenty for a couple of mediocre guys.

I have no idea who the kids are that the Yanks gave up, but i don't think Marte is just your typical LOOGY. He has for his whole career been solid vs righthanded hitters and great vs lefties. Shouse is what i'd call a typical Loogy, a relief pitcher who is good vs lefties, but not a guy you want facing righthanded bats. Marte has averaged a K per inning and less than a hit per inning vs righthanded batters over his career, as he is doing this year, few if any LOOGY'S in baseball can do that. He does walk to many batters though In fact, besides Torres, a solid case could be made that Marte would be our second best relief pitcher.

The Brewers play the Pirates 9 more times, the Cubs play them 6, and the Cards only play them 3 more times, so I guess this is the an advantage to the Brewers. Taking Nady out of that lineup and if The Pirates trade anymore guys like Wilson and/or Bay this is really good for the Crew.

Good, get Nady and Marte off that team and out of the league...we play them three more times than the Cubs do the rest of the way out.

Unfortunately this makes life harder for the Rays

Yeah it's good news for us in that we don't have to worry about Nady's bat or Marte's arm when we play the Pirates which is HUGE! But I do feel bad for the Rays, I have a bad feeling we will see the Yankees and Sox once again both come out of the East. But maybe the Rays can keep it up and not fall off.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I have no idea who the kids are that the Yanks gave up, but i don't think Marte is just your typical LOOGY. He has for his whole career been solid vs righthanded hitters and great vs lefties. Shouse is what i'd call a typical Loogy, a relief pitcher who is good vs lefties, but not a guy you want facing righthanded bats. Marte has averaged a K per inning and less than a hit per inning vs righthanded batters over his career, as he is doing this year, few if any LOOGY'S in baseball can do that. He does walk to many batters though In fact, besides Torres, a solid case could be made that Marte would be our second best relief pitcher.

For his career his OPS against is .140 points higher against righties. In the past 3 full seasons he has had OPS against of .756, .781 and .817 against righties. While maybe LOOGY is a bit too strong he certainly isn't someone I want on the mound facing righties late in a game. Lefties are his bread and butter.

i was thinking Tampa Bay might eventually fall out of the race to begin with, and this obviously can't help. I bet there's going to be a good push in Tampa to acquire somebody now.

Pittsburgh finally makes the right move. these were two guys who are definitely replaceable. now trade Jason Bay! (just not to St. Louis)

The original reports that two other two minor leaguers were George Kontos and Phil Coke were false. Substitute those two with Daniel McCutchen and Jeff Karstens. I'm no expert on minor league prospects, but apparently this upgrades the haul for Pittsburgh.

Archived