Brewer Fanatic

Mount Molehill

I don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill and the sweep of the Cardinals was truly awesome but there is one little hole that I saw in the Brewers this week that I don't want to see escalate into a bigger problem and that is.....

Leaving runners on base and runners in scoring position.

It seemed like every game against the Cardinals the Brewers were stranding guys on base and letting struggling pitchers work out of jams and I would just like to see a little more concentration and a little more clutch hitting and a little more in the fundamentals department and a little less in the "waiting for a three run home run" department.

I know this isn't a problem when C.C. and Sheeter are dominating hitters but in a more normal game this could be the difference between winning 6-5 or losing 5-4. Is anyone else concerned at all about this???

It wasn't just that series, though that was worse, it has been the whole year this year that they have struggled with RISP...

They have a .247 BA (26th) with RISP when they are normally .256 (20th)

They have a .758 OPS (16th) with RISP when they are normally .770 (8th)

So they do have their struggles.

there was one game that I thought the Brewers did a good job of this when they were down 3-0 and they kept kind of pecking away at the lead then Bill Hall ended it with the 9th inning home run but that was the only time in the series that I felt the Brewers were manufacturing runs. The other games it felt like they were waiting for the big bomb which fortunately has been coming.

The Brewers were very lucky that trhis funk went without damage so far. It says alot about how good the pitching has been. But yeah Hart's horrendous series and that unbelievable 0-21 or whatever needs to turn around at home.

Those differences are pretty small and if they are significantly different in a statistical sense it's not that much. As one example based solely on the batting average difference the RISP OPS should be .018 points lower, instead it is only .012. Which means they have done some combination of hitting for more power and taking more walks in those situations.

I don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill and the sweep of the Cardinals was truly awesome but there is one little hole that I saw in the Brewers this week that I don't want to see escalate into a bigger problem and that is.....

Leaving runners on base and runners in scoring position.

It seemed like every game against the Cardinals the Brewers were stranding guys on base and letting struggling pitchers work out of jams and I would just like to see a little more concentration and a little more clutch hitting and a little more in the fundamentals department and a little less in the "waiting for a three run home run" department.

I know this isn't a problem when C.C. and Sheeter are dominating hitters but in a more normal game this could be the difference between winning 6-5 or losing 5-4. Is anyone else concerned at all about this???

Over the span of a single series this is just luck and nothing more. Your average baseball game probably comes down to something like 35% luck and 65% skill.

Archived