Brewer Fanatic

30 Greatest Shakespeare Movies (Rottentomatoes.com)

TooLiveBrew

After much thought, I figured this could use its own thread, as opposed to adding it into another of the movie threads. Rottentomatoes.com has put together its list of the 30 Greatest Shakespeare Movies. It's a 'slide show', so here they are, broken up into two posts so it's not insanely hard to read. RT.com score is boldfaced for each film:

1. Henry V (1989) -- Dir. Kenneth Branagh; Kenneth Branagh, Derek Jacobi, Ian Holm; 100%

2. Ran (1985) -- Dir: Akira Kurosawa; Tatsuya Nakadai, Akira Tereo; 96%

3. Hamlet (1996) -- Dir: Kenneth Branagh; Kenneth Branagh, Derek Jacobi; 96%

4. Throne of Blood (1957) -- Dir: Akira Kurosawa; Toshiro Mifune, Isuzu Yamada; Macbeth; 97%

5. West Side Story (1961) -- Dir: Rob't Wise/Jerome Robbins; Natalie Wood, Rich'd Beymer; R & J't; 94%

6. Richard III (1995) -- Dir: Richard Loncraine; Ian McKellen, Annette Benning; 95%

7. Romeo & Juliet (1968) -- Dir: Franco Zeffirelli; Olivia Hussing, Leonard Whiting; 97%

8. The Lion King (1994) -- Dir: Roger Allers/Rob Minkoff; Jeremy Irons; Hamlet/Henry III; 92%

9. Henry V (1944) -- Dir: Laurence Olivier; Laurence Olivier, Robert Newton; 100%

10. Forbidden Planet (1956) -- Dir: Fred M. Wilcox; Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis; The Tempest; 94%

11. Much Ado About Nothing (1993) -- Dir: Kenneth Branagh; Denzel Washington, Emma Thompson; 90%

12. Hamlet (1948) -- Dir: Laurence Olivier; Laurence Olivier, Jean Simmons; 92%

13. Othello (1952) -- Dir: Orson Welles; Orson Welles, Michael MacLiammoir; 90%

14. Macbeth (1948) -- Dir: Orson Welles; Orson Welles, Jeanette Nolan; 90%

15. My Own Private Idaho (1992) -- Dir: Gus Van Sant; Keanu Reeves, River Phoenix; Henry IV; 85%

16. Macbeth (1971) -- Dir: Roman Polanski; Jon Finch, Nicholas Selby; 86%

17. The Taming of the Shrew (1967) -- Dir: Franco Zeffirelli; Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton; 85%

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

18. Hamlet (1990) -- Dir: Franco Zeffirelli; Mel Gibson, Glenn Close; 71%

19. Strange Brew (1983) -- Dir: Dave Thomas/Rick Moranis; Dave Thomas, Rick Moranis; Hamlet; 70%

20. Twelfth Night (1996) -- Dir: Trevor Nunn; Helena Bonham-Carter, Ben Kingsley; 70%

21. Romeo & Juliet (1996) -- Dir: Baz Luhrmann; Leo DiCaprio, Claire Danes; 70%

22. The Merchant of Venice (2004) -- Dir: Michael Radford; Al Pacino, Jeremy Irons, Joseph Fiennes; 70%

23. Prospero's Books (1991) -- Dir: Peter Greenaway; John Gielgud, Micheal Clark; The Tempest; 67%

24. Othello (1995) -- Dir: Oliver Parker; Laurence Fishburne, Kenneth Branagh; 68%

25. Titus (1999) -- Dir: Julie Taymor; Anthony Hopkins, Jessica Lange; Titus Andronicus; 68%

26. A Midsummer Night's Dream (1999) -- Dir: Michael Hoffman; Kevin Kline, Michelle Pfeiffer; 68%

27. O (2001) -- Dir: Tim Blake Nelson; Josh Hartnett, Mekhi Phifer, Julia Stiles; Othello; 63%

28. Scotland, PA (2002) -- Dir: Billy Morrissette; James LeGros, Maura Tierney; (Macbeth); 59%

29. 10 Things I Hate About You (1999) -- Dir: Gil Junger; Heath Ledger, Jul. Stiles; Taming o.t. Shrew; 57%

30. Hamlet (2000) -- Dir: Micheal Mareyeda; Ethan Hawke, Julia Stiles; 55%

-- Any/all abbreviations in either of the first two posts was to keep each entry to one line --

I'm a big Shakespeare lover, and know that not everyone is. If you are, or even if you've just seen the films in question, I'd love to hear your thoughts on them. What did you like? What sucked? What performances/direction/editing?

I was (pleasantly) shocked to see Henry V as their #1 choice. I absolutely, fervently love that movie, but had no idea it was so highly regarded. The 'band of brothers' soliloquoy can get me pumped up any time I watch it, and that's just the one scene. I'm a big fan of Branagh's Shakepeare adaptations, though.

Directors (films on list):

Kenneth Branagh (3 -- lowest rank #11)

Franco Zeffirelli (3)

Akira Kurosawa (2)

Laurence Olivier (2)

Orson Welles (2)

I understand that this is just one group's ranking, so I expect a bit of disagreement. For example, I thought Oliver Parker's Othello (1995) was far better than #24, or a 68%. Stirring performances by both Branagh & Fishburne, & Irene Jacob is suberp as Desdemona.

I feel Baz Luhrmann's Romeo & Juliet (1996) is vastly overrated. I understand he went for a modernization of the story, but the delivery of Shakespeare's lines throughout (imho) is embrassingly bad, save one or two performances.

Ah... one of my favorite topics...

Titus and Propsero's Books should be higher... 10 Things I Hate About You is much better than O (as far as being in the spirit of The Bard as transfered to the teen set)...

I think Merchant of Venice might be better than where it is rated...

Keanu's turn in Much Ado About Nothing is worth dropping it a spot or two, but still a worthy film...

The Hamlet with Mel Gibson is actually very good, but it suffers by the comparison to Branagh and Olivier...

And, it is not derived from a Shakespeare play, but the film Shotgun Stories is downright Shakespearean... I recommend it highly... although the ending suffers a bit...

Also, if you're a big Shakespeare fan, I highly suggest reading the new book The Story of Edgar Sawtelle... It's basically Hamlet set in 1950/1960s northern Wisconsin - I'm only about 1/4 of the way through the book but it is already giving Art of Racing in the Rain a run for my favorite new book of 2008...

...and Bill Bryson's Shakespeare bio

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
19. Strange Brew (1983) -- Dir: Dave Thomas/Rick Moranis; Dave Thomas, Rick Moranis; Hamlet; 70%
What?????

I love this movie - one of my favorites from my childhood. I had NO idea it was a loose remake of Hamlet. Wow.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

C'mon Elsinore Brewery? Got to know your classical references. Here's another, Star Trek II might have a little to do with Moby Dick.

While I understand it being overlooked due to rights issues, Welles's Falstaff (Chimes at Midnight) belongs right towards the top. I'm surprised the 1930s Midsummer Night's Dream didn't make the list as well, as the art direction, cinematography, and balletic interpretation of the faeries is quite groundbreaking for Shakespeare on film.

I'd generally agree that Branagh's Much Ado About Nothing is the most successful of the adaptations of the Comedies. I'd actually put it above Branagh's Hamlet, but below Branagh's Henry V. I'd agree that 10 Things... is a little underrated. I actually prefer it to the Taylor/Burton adaptation which I think is overwrought.

I think a lot of people would like McKellan's Richard III. It's modern setting clarifies themes instead of being distracting.

Robert

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I suppose have a working memory of Hamlet would have helped me make the connection. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

And, it is not derived from a Shakespeare play, but the film Shotgun Stories is downright Shakespearean... I recommend it highly... although the ending suffers a bit...

I'll have to check that out, RKFG. Also, I edited in Much Ado About Nothing for My Own Private Idaho... thanks for the subtle hint http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I think a lot of people would like McKellan's Richard III. It's modern setting clarifies themes instead of being distracting.

Oh, I wholeheartedly agree. I watched it a few months ago for the first time. I'd gone to the video store for a 'refresher' viewing of (Branagh's) Henry V, which was rented out. So I 'settled' for Richard III. Very good. At first, the modern-to-antiquated movement is a bit off-putting, but as Robert said... it works.

I watched way too many old Shakespeare movies when I was trying to cram for a Shakespeare class years ago and all I can say is that Olivier is much hammier than is my preference and anything with Richard Burton is nearly unwatchable.

Also, I'm surprised Julius Caesar (1953) didn't make it over some of the lesser films (O? Really?). Any film starring Marlon Brando and John Gielgud is at least interesting. Julius Caesar might not be considered one of Shakespeare's greatest works, but the film was surprisingly entertaining. It's actually probably my favorite faithful film adaptation (my two favorites are Ran and Throne of Blood, but those don't use Billy's dialogue).

Agreed with raykingsforemangrill that 10 Things I Hate About You is very watchable compared to many of the teen movies that came out in the late 90s. As a bonus, it featured Heath Ledger's first American film performance.

And count me among those who didn't know that Strange Brew was based on Hamlet. I haven't seen it since I was like 10 and at that time I wasn't really into tracing the literary threads that are present in derivative works. It's somewhat surprising that any movie where a guy drinks himself to the size of a house is based on classic literature (unless it's something by Lewis Carroll, of course).

I'll have to check that out, RKFG. Also, I edited in Much Ado About Nothing for My Own Private Idaho... thanks for the subtle hint http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Actually, you give me more credit than I deserve... I was actually referring to Keanu's near unwatchable performance in Branagh's Much Ado as Don John http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

This is what I'm saying.... Titus is actually very, very good.... people like to rag on it though...

I would disagree. I found Titus practically unbearable. I give the director some credit for trying something different with the staging but it didn't work at all for me, instead of seeming fresh, it seemed pretentious, unnecessary, and much more derivative than I was expecting. It ended up seeming like she was just throwing random things into the movie so that reviewers might praise her avant-garde sensibilities. The direction itself was vomit inducing, the director had no idea what she was doing with the camera at any given time. I also thought Hopkins gave one of his worst performances (which is saying a lot for a guy known for mailing it in. He is a great actor though, don't get me wrong).

I thought Titus was one of the worst movies I'd ever seen when I saw it in the theater and this talk of it has revived my old hatred.

This is what I'm saying.... Titus is actually very, very good.... people like to rag on it though...

I would disagree. I found Titus practically unbearable. I give the director some credit for trying something different with the staging but it didn't work at all for me, instead of seeming fresh, it seemed pretentious, unnecessary, and much more derivative than I was expecting. It ended up seeming like she was just throwing random things into the movie so that reviewers might praise her avant-garde sensibilities. The direction itself was vomit inducing, the director had no idea what she was doing with the camera at any given time. I also thought Hopkins gave one of his worst performances (which is saying a lot for a guy known for mailing it in. He is a great actor though, don't get me wrong).

I thought Titus was one of the worst movies I'd ever seen when I saw it in the theater and this talk of it has revived my old hatred.

It's a love-it-or-hate-it movie... no doubt about it...

I think I just caught an Othello reference in The Office's episode "Traveling Salesmen"...

This episode starts off with Angela forgetting to mail in the company's tax forms to the corporate office, and Dwight secretly driving the forms to NYC to cover for her.

Andy pairs himself with Michael for a traveling sales call, and spends the bulk of the travel time badmouthing Dwight. After failing to get Michael to turn on Dwight, when they return to Scranton, Andy rummages through Dwight's desk to find his car keys. He then goes into his car & finds the tollbooth receipt from Dwight's AM trip to NYC, and brings it to Michael's attention. Andy suggestively asks, 'He wasn't going to see Jan, was he?' And then asks, 'Where have I heard a story of laundry & betrayal?'

The laundry reference is Andy seeing Michael tossing his laundry to Dwight to get done (in punishment for trying to sneak around Michael & get his job by going to Jan in an earlier episode)... but the whole conniving act started to make me think of Othello, in which of course a piece of laundry (the handkerchief) ignites Othello's jealous rage. Andy certainly fits the bill of Iago in this episode.

I'd like to know if anyone else sees this, or if I'm just reaching http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Random thoughts:

I've seen 20 of these films.

Probably the biggest surprise to me, based on reputation, is Scotland, PA.

Biggest surprise of the traditional adaptations, IMO, is A Midsummer Night's Dream. It's not bad, but I don't think there's anything special about the movie either. FWIW, I'd recommend APT's version of the play this year.

I'm not a big Julie Taymor fan, but she made Titus watchable for me. That's not a play I'd ever care to see a traditional version of.

I'm hopeful that someone will run with the idea of Ian McKellan's King Lear and Patrick Stewart's MacBeth sometime in the near future. It's a shame that the McKellan/Dench MacBeth came out in the big Shakespeare film drought of the 70s/80s.

Robert

Archived