Brewer Fanatic

Fielder to the Angels in the offseason?

I don't see the Angels pursuing Dunn, as his makeup just wouldn't click with Scioscia, and the Angels really avoid huge K, low average hitters. It also seems as though the Angels don't even know what OBA is, so Dunn's biggest strength would be lost on them.

As for Fielder being the Brewers only lefthanded bat, he obviously would be replacd by one, but thats not the important part. More importantly, the Brewers would be trading a player who's value in wins is low to the Brewers because his horrid defense is such a huge negative. The Angels would get full value of his offense, because they can DH him.

I'm guessing if Teixeira signs with Washinton, the Brewers aquire Nick Johnson from Washinton. That and Mat Gamel moves to 1B at AAA.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With the Angels losing out on Tex and saying they will not go after Manny this trade seems to make more and more sense. The problem with trading Fielder is he is our only left-handed everyday bat, so we would need to find at least one somewhere else. Maybe we could get Adam Dunn at first base or one of the other LH corner of/dh on the market. If we could get Santana back plus another player and then sign Dunn I think that would make us better.

• 3 weeks later...

I still think this is a possibility that Fielder could be traded to the Angels. I believe a trade of Ortega, Wood, Willits, and Trumbo would get it done for the Brewers. Trumbo would be the 1B for the Brewers in 2010 or 2011. More than likely in 2011 or later though. Willits and Wood would be throw ins and Ortega and Trumbo would be the two main players coming in from the trade.

The Angels are loaded with pitching talent and would make a perfect trading partner in dealing Prince. Ortega could be a #1 or #2 type of a pitcher and if Wood could show some of the hype that was made about him he could become a steal. The Angels have a full OF right now and Willits looks to be the odd man out. I would take Willits over Gwynn and Iribarren for depth. If Cameron were to be traded for more pitching help Willits would be adequate to take over in CF not an ideal candidate for it but he would be better than Cabrera/Gwynn/Iribarren.

Nate82,

If the Ortega's so good, then the Angels should be willing to give up either Saunders or Weaver. Fielder is a premium talent. No way I'd give him up for a pitching prospect who's allowed a hit an inning in the minors (Ortega), an as yet unproved 3rd baseman (Wood), a backup OF (Willits) and a righthanded hitting 1B/DH that has a .262 career minor league BA and .316 career OBP and who committed more errors at 1b last year than Fielder (Trumbo). That's the deal you are proposing and it's not a good one. That it's a lot of unproven talent doesn't hide the fact that it's still unproven talent.

The deal I'd make would be Saunders or Weaver, plus Figgins for Fielder and Cameron. The Angels do value defense. As strong an arm as Vlad has, they've been using him more at DH to preserve his somewhat gimpy wheels. They could decide to make Vlad a 1st baseman to prolong his career. That would open up a spot in RF for Cameron.

My deal would save $10-11 million this year for the Brewers, freeing up cash to sign Abreu (not Dunn), resulting in Hart moving to 1B and Abreu to RF, and replace a strikeout prone 6th hitter in the lineup with a higher average, switchitting top of the order type that can also play CF and adding a proven 2-3 type starter.

Now I'm not saying the Angels make that deal, but that's what I'd consider for Fielder, not a bunch of maybes and could be's

Archived