Brewer Fanatic

Fielder to the Angels in the offseason?

The Angels need hitting and the Brewers will need pitching. The Angels have a lot of good pitchers on their team and in their system. Other than the Royals who also have good pitching prospects and guys on the MLB club who could be traded for Fielder. If Fielder were to be traded to the Angels what would we get for him?

I would think Adenhart and one or two players to be named later? I might be over valuing Adenhart though.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this only makes sense. There are other possible candidates, but the Angels, in my mind are the perfect match.

I'd try to get Saunders or Santana in the deal, but if they don't budge, Adenhart or Wood would be nice with a combination of other prospects. Casey Kotchman wouldn't be a bad option to look at either.

You dont trade your most popular clubhouse guy who produces quite well for minor league pitching, especially when you are a contending team and you control him for 3 years on the relative cheap.

On the relative cheap? Is 10 million dollars cheap? That's what we will be paying him next year.

Is Billy Beane not smart? He's trading his best players for minor leaguers. It's the model you have to follow if you're a small market team. That doesn't apply for everyone on the team, but it applies for players who have Boras as an agent and don't seem to want to sign long term.

You dont trade your most popular clubhouse guy who produces quite well for minor league pitching, especially when you are a contending team and you control him for 3 years on the relative cheap.

You are forgetting that Sheets and Sabathia will be gone at the end of this season. Having Fielder on the team is not really productive for the Brewers. It would be best to trade him when his value is high. His value will be the highest at the end of this and the end of next season. I don't see why the Brewers need to keep Fielder. He will be leaving the team once he hits free agency and will be with an AL team anyways. Why not get the maximum amount from Fielder when we can.

I don't want to trade Fielder but it is something that is going to happen. Adenhart isn't just a minor league pitcher he is the Angels stud prospect kind of like LaPorta was to the Brewers. The Angels need someone who can hit for power in their lineup and who they could put at 1b or DH. Fielder fits that bill for them. The Brewers need MLB pitching and minor league pitching to replenish the farm with. Adenhart and other pitching prospects on the Angels would be a great addition to the Brewers if the Brewers could get Howie Kendrick also in this move and then move Weeks for some minor league pitching prospects I would love it since it would help us more for the long haul than it would from us keeping Fielder.

If we trade Fielder who replaces him at first base?

You're probably gonna say Gamel be he has never played that position before and would be worse defensively than Prince. Plus the guy hasnt even been to AAA yet.

How about this for an offseason plan? Resign one of Sheets or Sabathia and keep the rest of the team intact. With the increase in attendance we should be able to afford it with little problem.

I dont understand why some of you are so eager to push Prince out of the door when we have one of the best 2-3-4-5 combos in baseball umder contract for the next 2 years atleast so why would you wanna blow it up? Trade Hardy if anyone because we only have 1 more year of arbitration left with him and the demand for short stops is at an all time high. Hardy would be one of the best if not the best short stop in the A.L. so his value is incredibly high.

@WiscoSportsNut

I suppose it depends on what they're offered, but I really don't think Prince will be traded after this season. He's still years from free agency, and there's no obvious replacement ready for him - what's the rush?

No rush. I just would like to land Kendrick, Adenhart, and a player to be named later for Fielder. I just don't want to see the Brewers fall to far behind in developing the team. I believe Gamel could be plugged into the lineup in a year or two and we could make another run at the playoffs. With Adenhart and Kendrick you add younger players and you can then trade Weeks for some minor league pitchers and some bullpen help.

I believe the Brewers could survive with Nelson at 1B next year. Plus having a rotation in 2010 of Gallardo, Parra, Adenhart, Free Agent/other minor leaguer, and Jeffress would be a nice rotation for the Brewers. I just like what we could have two years from now for our pitching if we trade Fielder this offseason. I have said this before I don't believe Fielder will be traded this offseason it will probably be more than likely Hardy who gets traded.

No rush. I just would like to land Kendrick, Adenhart, and a player to be named later for Fielder.
For one, why would LA do that? And secondly, if they would, there is no reason to doubt that the Brewers could get a similar deal in the 2009 or 2010 offseason. Look at what it took to get 3 months of Sabathia, there is no doubt in my mind that teams will pay handsomely for Prince even if it's just for 2-3 months of him in 2011.

I dont think that the brewers would get alot more if we traded Prince this off-season, as opposed to next, so I would rather have Prince for 2009, and get a huge deal after 2009. If you move Prince this off-season than Gamel is probably the first baseman, where he does not have the power to be an elite first baseman, at third he could be one of the top 5 players. I know Gamel is not ready yet, but I have heard from many posters here, and reports on Gamel that he has the range to play third, which Braun never did, and a strong arm. So to give up a chance on having one of the best thirdbaseman in the game, just to move arguably your best hitter, to complete a deal that you could do after next season seems a bit foolish.

relative cheap... 10 million for 1 year with options for the next 2 years is relative cheap for a guy who hit 50 hrs last season.

Billy Beane has kept good players before. See Eric Chavez. You just have to pick and choose. Maybe they will sign Fielder long turn.. maybe not. But its not worth trading him yet.

Think of it this way. Would you rather have CC Sabathia for the next three years or just be a couple month rental? If you trade fielder now, his value is the highest its going to be because teams still would control him for the next three years. You could get a lot more back in return.

Prince won't be making $10 mil. I believe Ryan Howard is getting $9 mil and Fielder is not putting up the numbers that Howard has as of yet so maybe Fielder gets in the $7-8 mil range. The Crew should put every resource they can into gettting Sheets or CC back. I would prefer CC, and think they should offer him 5 years @ $100 mil right now. Remember Gagne's $10 mil comes off the books and you could also lose Cameron's $7 mil and Sheets $11 mil so why not? A rotation next year of CC or Sheets, Parra, Gallardo, Bush or McClung, and Suppan would compare nicely to the current rotation and the offense should only get better next year.

People always talk about the money "coming off the books." Yeah, we could afford to to pay one if not both of them a lot of money NEXT year. The problem comes in years 2,3,4,5 of any potential contract when EVERYONE else is starting to get more expensive.

On the topic, I agree that it would totally depend on them getting an offer they really like, because it's not like they are in a situation where they have to move him. The question to me is, will teams even make offers unless we put it out there that he's avalable for the right price? Will we put it out there that he's available for the right price?

Brewcrew08, your signature is hilarious and classic Ueck

relative cheap... 10 million for 1 year with options for the next 2 years is relative cheap for a guy who hit 50 hrs last season.
Not when you can spend a rookie salary on Gamel at 1B and get comparable production.

Billy Beane has kept good players before. See Eric Chavez. You just have to pick and choose. Maybe they will sign Fielder long turn.. maybe not. But its not worth trading him yet.
Of course, but Beane always trades the players he knows he can't afford or sign to a reasonable deal. We aren't going to be able to afford Prince after his arbitration runs out, so why not trade him while his value is at his highest? Prince probably will flame out shortly after age 30 just like his father did.

Gamel is still a prospect. Saying he could produce at the same level as a guy that almost won the MVP last season is probably a little bit of a stretch.

Now if you said he could out produce Lyle Overbay, I'd say it's definitely a possibilty. But Prince Fielder? I dont think that is a fair estimate to put on the kid.

Gamel is still a prospect. Saying he could produce at the same level as a guy that almost won the MVP last season is probably a little bit of a stretch.

Now if you said he could out produce Lyle Overbay, I'd say it's definitely a possibilty. But Prince Fielder? I dont think that is a fair estimate to put on the kid.

If Gamel can't outproduce Overbay, then he's certainly not the prospect the Brewers think he is. Overbay's been very unproductive the last 2 seasons. That being said, I still don't see Fielder going anywhere. They are not going to leave Gamel as the lone lefthanded bat in the lineup.

Prince won't be making $10 mil. I believe Ryan Howard is getting $9 mil and Fielder is not putting up the numbers that Howard has as of yet so maybe Fielder gets in the $7-8 mil range.
I think the Phillies also only offered around $7M. I think they could have had Howard for less if they had made a more reasonable offer. I think $7-8M next year for Fielder.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I just don't see how trading Fielder makes our team better. Even if Fielder ends up making 10 mill. next season it's probably a fair deal if not a steal. I get that his value is higher with more years left under team control, but I just can't get behind trading one of the best young hitters in baseball before we need to. I'm for sure not trading him for prospects alone at this point although if the Angles are throwing back Kotchman or Kendrick and Adenhart then I have at least a reason to listen.

sbrylski06 posted this in the Long Term Rotation Ideas thread I started, I don't use Fan Graphs much so I wouldn't have found it on my own. It's their Trade Value Chart for the current year.

I liked trading Prince much better when we had LaPorta, but the organization went a different direction. If we're going to trade Prince it's reasonable to look at the guys around him on the value chart. I'm not saying the chart is 100% dead on, but it's a good place to start.

I've said it a buch of times of but TB has tons of pitching and arguably the best rotation in MLB as it stands. Niemann is expendable now, Price could be traded in the off season (1 year rule), Shields is extremely cheap and under control with team options till 2014. I like James Shields the best, who coincidentally sits right at 29... most of the pitchers people have been mentioning don't even make the list...

I think the Blue Jays and Angels also match up well. I know people like KC's pitching depth, personally I'm not interested by that system. If Prince goes for prospects I wouldn't mind a deal for a Neimann type who's MLB ready and in AAA, and a top of the rotation prospect like Price. In a deal like that we'd pickup a solid 3 type for 2009 and then a pitcher who could be ready as early as 2010 if need be. Or you could trade Prince for a Niemann type and a 1B prospect, and so on. There's lots of possibilities straight up with different organizations, and the combinations are pretty limitless if it's a 3 team deal.

Prince is going to be moved at some point, or at least I hope he is. While I like the idea of extending our bats, Fielder is way too risky a long term sign for me. People tend to view 1B as not having much defensive value but I've always held a contrary opinion. I'm not saying the 1B should have great range and a great glove, but he damn well better be able to dig some balls. Subtracting Prince defensively is the classic addtion by subtraction... just about anyone would improve the entire infield defense if they are a competent reciever at 1B... I love Fielder's offensive production, but with his weight and defensive issues he'd be a guy I'd be looking to sell high on.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

.352/.424/.528

Lyle Overbay's full season line in his first full year of AA. Now I know Gamel is putting up slightly better numbers thus far, but I think some forget that he is doing it in....AA. Prince Fielder, in his sophomore year of the majors, garnered MVP consideration and could very well have won it had the Brewz made the playoffs. I say you pay him his 3 years of arbitration and take the two picks when he undoubtedly signs a 6yr/$125mil contract.

I'd be ecstatic if Gamel hit .300 in the majors his first year.

That being said, odds are he probably wont. But can he, sure thing. So many prospects have had good minor league stints in AA and AAA.. and yes, even top prospects. I just disagree that Gamel will produce similiar numbers to Prince. It's hard to find many major leaguers in their first couple years that have.... sure some have, but less than 1% is probably a fair number. Is Gamel that kind of guy? I don't know, but let's at least be fair to the kid and not expect the moon.

Archived