Brewer Fanatic

Does Branyan need a couple weeks in Nashville?

3TO has been a huge addition to this team and had some big moments in kick starting the team, but with Bill Hall starting to rake and the muscle not getting the ABs...I wonder if a 2-3 week trip to Nashville would help. We are going to need the muscle before the year is out, but he has really cooled off without the regular ABs.

And I think that Hall is playing a little too much as Yost is trying to catch lightning in a bottle. I think you've got a good idea here, but I doubt it happens. I feel more comfortable with Branyan out there than Hall.

No they shouldn't because there are going to be some matchups where Hall has done really bad against a pitcher and Branyan has done rather well against a pitcher. Branyan is still going to get his chances to play I believe he will play more in the Cubs and Astros series. I believe Hall will get a day or two off in those series along with Rickie.

Even if a player is just raking out there you can still find spots for a player who has been sitting on the bench. Just take Kapler for instance he has been relatively hot for the Brewers the whole year as a pinch hitter or as a spot starter in the out field. I could see Fielder getting a day off in the Astros series probably on Saturday and having Branyan play at 1B on that day. I believe Branyan will play the first 2 games against the Astros relieving Hall and Fielder for one day. Wolf pitches on Sunday so Hall will definitely be in the lineup on that day. For the Cubs series I believe Branyan will play against Zambrano, Dempster, and maybe Harden. It depends though on what Hall does during the weekend though. If he is still hot you have a problem and a hard decision to make. I would rather have Branyan play the majority of the time against the Cubs but then you have a weak bench that doesn't have a left handed bat. But if you don't have Branyan in the lineup you have a weak left handed lineup against Zambrano and Dempster. Tough decision for the Cubs series not so much against the Astros I believe Branyan will start at least 2 games against the Astros.

I will probably be wrong with this but it seems like th logical thing to do in these next two series.

he'd have to be DFA'd and would be snatched up in a second. even if he doesn't play much, he's an awesome LH pinch-hitter off the bench. the opportunity to throw in a LH here and there to our rightie lineup is pretty important. plus Branyan is a vet and likely can handle not playing as much than someone like a Gwynn could.

My question is, why is Hall playing so much? I realize he hit two amazing late game homers in the first two Cardinal games. But he went 0 for 8 the last two games; both games the Cards started a RH pitcher. since the All Star break Hall is 4 for 24 with 8 strikeouts. On July 9th he was hitting .231/.290/.431. Right now he's hitting .231/.293/.434 . I'm not seeing the hot streak.

It's hard to argue with any managerial decisions when the team just completed a 4 game sweep and is sitting a game out of first, but Branyan should have started at least two of those games. Hall is not hitting that much better against righties than he was earlier in the year.

joepepsi wrote:

It's hard to argue with any managerial decisions when the team just completed a 4 game sweep and is sitting a game out of first, but Branyan should have started at least two of those games. Hall is not hitting that much better against righties than he was earlier in the year.

I agree that Hall has been playing to much. I liked the stats you threw out. Kind of puts what Hall's contribution the past couple weeks has actually been into perspective. Looks like he hit 2 timely HR, but has otherwise been a drag on the team.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

My question is, why is Hall playing so much? I realize he hit two amazing late game homers in the first two Cardinal games. But he went 0 for 8 the last two games; both games the Cards started a RH pitcher. since the All Star break Hall is 4 for 24 with 8 strikeouts. On July 9th he was hitting .231/.290/.431. Right now he's hitting .231/.293/.434 . I'm not seeing the hot streak.

Hall's stats from July

By Day/Month AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB HBP SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
July 50 11 17 6 0 4 13 4 0 14 1 0 .340 .389 .700 1.089

To make a comparison

Hardy

By Day/Month AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB HBP SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
July 79 17 31 6 0 8 18 7 0 14 1 1 .392 .442 .772 1.214

Hall, Hardy, and Braun have been the hottest hitters on the club in July.

Still doesn't mean Hall should be starting over Branyan against RHP.

Yes and No. Branyan has been in a slump since the end of June. Hall has been hot in the month of July. You start Hall because he has a hot bat and you ride Hall until his bat starts to get cold. Which it looks like it is starting to happen.

I don't think Branyan will slump for the rest of the season and I don't believe Hall will continue his hot streak of this month for the rest of the season either. Branyan will get his fair share of starts in the next couple of games. I wouldn't be suprised to see Branyan starting a couple of the Cubs series over Hall. The fact is Hall has been producing at the plate this month while Branyan has not.

It's true Hall started July on fire. Here's his rates for the first 10 games, going right up to the All Star break: .394/.429/.758 1.187 OPS. Pretty incredible 10 game stretch.

Here's what he's done in the 5 games he's played since the All Star break: .190/.292/.476 .768 OPS. That .476 slugging is due to the two home runs this week, which have been his only extra base hits. I'd say this hot hand done been rode.

He played one game in San Francisco, against a lefty starter, then the next four games against righties in St. Louis. He had a great game in his first game in St. Louis. Otherwise, I think it's clear he shouldn't be playing most of the time against right handed starters.

Still doesn't mean Hall should be starting over Branyan against RHP.

Hall has been hot in the month of July.

He was hot, because he was facing primarily LHP. That brought his numbers up (expected). Of course, his expected success against LHP somehow fooled Ned (once again) into thinking it meant he could hit RHP. As soon as he starts playing against RHP again, he's hit the skids (expected).

Meanwhile, we're judging Branyan of off 33 PA's during July to say that he should be benched in favor of Hall against righties? Gotta love when season, 3-year, and career splits are thrown out the window, in favor of one month's worth of THE WRONG splits (Hall's hot streak against LHP to justify playing him against RHP).

The problem with playing guys on hot streaks is that they usually get played at least one(and probably more) games past when they should. Hall playing this month is the perfect example of playing a guy past his "hot streak." Funny thing is, people are getting back on Hall's bandwagon in the last week and he has actually been pretty cold.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Agreed. Unfortunately, Ned is using a pitifully small amount of ABs to determine that Bill Hall has magically become a better option v. RHP than Branyan. It stinks.

I posed this question after we called up Branyan and he was hot right away. What would Ned do once Branyan went into one of his typical slumps that he's always been prone to do and his batting average nosedives?

We have our answer. For whatever reason, MLB managers and often GM's have a fairly short leash with Branyan. Once he gets in a bad slump where he say goes 3 for 25 with a bunch of K's, any sort of consistent playing time just vanishes. On a plus side, even though he only has 5 hits in 31 at bats this month, Russell only struck out 8 times. He should be playing more.

Ned is doing the right thing.

3TO gets hot for a little bit then goes in the crapper for a while.. maybe a long while. It's his MO. Although Bill Hall has really bad numbers in May and June.. his July is looking up.

If you play the stock market at all, you look at trend lines. 3TOs trend is negative right now.. Bill H is in a climb despite the latest little lull.

Christ, the guy hit two game winning Hrs too... let the man play. 3TO is the back up. He will probably play once or twice a week from here on out, which is about all he should play. He's a great LH bat off that bench and is immensely valuable to us in spots where we need a sac fly or a home run. Yost needs to find his spots to use 3TO and use him, but he doesnt need to magically create them just to do it. They will come. Branyan will be boss again.. just let it come, dont force it.

I'm okay with Hall playing against some RHP but Branyan needs to stay somewhat sharp getting AB's. He should start tonight against Backe with Hall back out there on Sunday against Wolf. I still believe Branyan will get hot again and when he does look out.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

If you play the stock market at all, you look at trend lines. 3TOs trend is negative right now.. Bill H is in a climb despite the latest little lull.

That's how fools play the market. Charting recent trends as if they will continue forever is how you fuel bubbles like the housing one.

He's a great LH bat off that bench and is immensely valuable to us in spots where we need a sac fly or a home run. Yost needs to find his spots to use 3TO and use him, but he doesnt need to magically create them just to do it. They will come. Branyan will be boss again.. just let it come, dont force it.

Then for Cripes sakes what were Hall, Cameron, and Kendall doing batting in the bottom of the 9th against a hard throwing RIGHT HANDER last night with Hart in scoring position?

Let's review: What does Branyan do best? Hit right hander fastballs all the way to Wisconsin Avenue. What is a Valeverde? A right hander pitcher that throws 97 mph.

Absolutely the worst managing I have ever seen.

They won't win a playoff game if that sort of strategy keeps up.

That's how fools play the market.

I guess man, Bill Hall has been playing well. 3TO has not. It's not too hard to estimate who Yost will bat in the 9th even against a RHP. Bill has been the hot and better bat. He has 3 game winning hits this week. That is nothing to shake one's head at.

As for batting for Cameron.. I think 3TO could have hit in that spot. Situationally, 3TO is not very good unless he is given consistent ABs. Unfortunately for Russell, the better player is Bill Hall and he will play unless he slumps again. Kendall had a few clutch hits recently, so I doubt I'd have pulled kendall in that spot with the pitcher next *3to hits here. But for Cam.. yeah, I think I would have done that. But I cant recall, did Yost burn Kapler earlier in the game? Anyhow, the brewers are finding ways to win right now. Messing with it to get guys ABs more consistenly would be silly.

I love me some 3TO, but you gotta be realistic about it too.

They won't win a playoff game if that sort of strategy keeps up.

It wasnt the best bit of managing IMO either. But it's hard to argue with the results since May.

As the Joker said, "Why so Negative?"

Archived