Brewer Fanatic

Our unsung hero

Bork, you beat me to the Chad Moeller ref. I remember in 2005, Chad was Ben Sheets' Personal Catcher for at least the first half of the season, before the drain of having offensive black holes back to back in the 8 and 9 holes (and didn't we have some underperforming #7 hitters too? or was that '04 more than '05?) finally got him to allow Damien Miller to catch for him.

Put it this way... I'd see no problem with signing Kendall to a four-year extension, provided it doesn't break the bank (say $9 million over four years).

Kendall is about 3 weeks from guaranteeing a $4.25million option for next year. That option may go up to $4.6 if he gets enough games. He'll be 35 next year. He will probably be worth it next year in that none of the young catchers will be expected to be major league ready next year and that his salary will be acceptable compared to available FA.

Hopefully one of the young catchers will be ready in 2010.

Branyan without a doubt.

This team was struggling mightily before he arrived. His incredible hot streak helped the Brewers win a few games and climb back into contention.

Without Branyan sparking the Brewers for 3 weeks - I am not sure we would have been in a position to trade for CC Sabathia.

When it was first being talked about that we were close to signing Jason Kendall, I was mad. I was ignorant, and thought, "What good is a catcher that cant throw and cant hit". But the more and more I see him calling great games and seeing his scrappy play (yeah i said scrappy) the more I like him. Great sign doug.

When it was first being talked about that we were close to signing Jason Kendall, I was mad. I was ignorant, and thought, "What good is a catcher that cant throw and cant hit". But the more and more I see him calling great games and seeing his scrappy play (yeah i said scrappy) the more I like him. Great sign doug.

I'll be the first to admit, I was down on the signing. I'll also be the first to admit I was terribly wrong and say that Jason has been huge for us this season.

Put it this way... I'd see no problem with signing Kendall to a four-year extension, provided it doesn't break the bank (say $9 million over four years).

I wouldn't sign Kendall. As pointed out already, Kendall is going to get ~$4.5M next year -- and he deserves it -- however his offensive production is below average and while I am entirely grateful he is our catcher over Estrada -- there are probably going to be better options in 2010. If Kendall wants to be a backup for a couple of years -- I am all for that.

To me, it is a no-brainer, Seth McClung is our unsung hero. He has pitched well (relatively speaking) in every place that the Brewers have put him in, bullpen or rotation. He definitely allowed the Brewers to tread water and stepped up his game. If the Brewers maintain 1st place and they start getting more national attention, I suspect Seth's effort will be overlooked for the most part.

To me, it is a no-brainer, Seth McClung is our unsung hero. He has pitched well (relatively speaking) in every place that the Brewers have put him in, bullpen or rotation. He definitely allowed the Brewers to tread water and stepped up his game. If the Brewers maintain 1st place and they start getting more national attention, I suspect Seth's effort will be overlooked for the most part.

Can he platoon with Bush? Because he's been excellent for quite a while now, too, but for the most part the average fans and stuff still expect him to pitch poorly. His ERA has been under 4.00 since the start of May, but people still think he sucks.

Can he platoon with Bush?

I think the pitching platoon is silly at best. I would have rather seen Bush in the rotation and Seth upgrading Mota/Riske in our BP. I agree Bush has been pitching better -- and I think Bush is a much better pitcher than Seth. I think though, you could throw Seth in the BP, and if Suppan faltered you could put him back in the rotation.

I'd rather have seen Seth getting Mota's inning last night.

I agree, I was just saying could they platoon in regards to the unsung hero thing. Of all people, FTJ, I would have expected you to get that I was joking.

I am worried about what happens with McClung when he gets in to triple digit IP.

Archived