Brewer Fanatic

What would be considered a successful homestand?

Riding an eight game win streak, likely to play in front of seven more consecutive sellouts, and concluding with a three game series against the arch-rival Cubs that should determine who leads the division, what would be considered a "successful" homestand? Assuming we go 2-1 versus Houston, and the Scrubs go 2-1 versus Flordia this weekend, we'll be a game back heading into the Cubs series. If we go 3-0 and the Cubs go 2-1, we'll bring an 11 game winning streak into the series and would be tied going into the series.

Given how well we are playing, i'll be disappointed with anything less than 5-2. However, if we go 6-1, we're assured of being tied or leading the division and I think the city would be buzzing with Brewers fever even in spite of the Packers training camp.

EDIT: 4 games series against Cubs, not a 3 gamer

4-3 would be acceptable considering 4 of the games are against the best team in the NL

How are the Brewers going to play themselves?

4-3 would be adequate, but given the opportunity in front of the Brewers, and the Cubs relative lack of success on the road coupled with the Brewers record at home, 5-2 would be succesful.

this is one of the homestands where i just don't want to loose any ground to the scrubs. Like others said 2-1 against houston and a split with the cubs would be great as that should keep us 1 back going into the next roadtrip.

7-0. This team (and its fans) need to lose the "OK if we lose this one" or "I'd take a 4-3 home stand" mentality. It's part of the reason it had been so long since they'd had a sweep on the road. How many series did they win the first 2 (or 3) games and then lack any kind of intensity for the last game.

Anything above .500 would be a successful homestand in my opinion. 5-2 or 6-1 would be a great homestand.

"It's part of the reason it had been so long since they'd had a sweep on the road."

I don't believe that has anything to do with it. Even if you say we have a .666 chance of winning a game against a team (a very generous number), we still have a .333 chance of losing. We've gotten very lucky this year in one run games and in many other situations. It's the way the game is.

4-3 should be the expectation. 5-2 is great, 3-4 is ok.

You can't expect a sweep of the Astros and the Brewers and Cubs are close enough in talent that you would probably assume a split.

7-0. This team (and its fans) need to lose the "OK if we lose this one" or "I'd take a 4-3 home stand" mentality. It's part of the reason it had been so long since they'd had a sweep on the road. How many series did they win the first 2 (or 3) games and then lack any kind of intensity for the last game.

So the reason that the Brewers hadn't swept a series on the road is because the fans are okay with a 4-3 homestand. I follow.

I never understand these types of comments from people. The difference is what is a successful homestand? 5-2 would still be a brilliant homestand with the teams we will be playing. Anything more than that would be amazing. If your comment is just about people not expecting to win, then ya, it applies, but I don't think you'd see many people here saying, we don't expect wins. And that's a big difference. Earlier in this season, I didn't go into a game expecting to see a Brewers win, Boston comes to mind. Now I go in expecting we can take the Cubs every time we face them, but realistically there are successful outcomes to this homestand if we don't go 7-0.

What, you think anything less than 162-0 isn't a wasted season? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I agree on the predictions that have the Cubs-Brewers splitting the series. An extra win would be great, but I won't freak out about an extra loss either. It would be nice to sweep the Astros (Wandy Rodriguez, Brandon Backe, Randy Wolf) to have some insurance, but I don't think one should ever expect a sweep.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived