Brewer Fanatic

Déjà vu Cubs v Brewers

nate82

It feels as though I am having déjà vu here with this up coming series with the Cubs. Didn't the Brewers and Cubs play a series last year about this time of the year where the Brewers were coming into Chicago in a funk and the Cubs were streaking. I believe the Brewers were only a couple games ahead of the Cubs or the Cubs were ahead I can't remember exactly.

But I have this feeling that we have seen this before. I know the Brewers came into Chicago last year on a 4 game set against the Cubs if the Brewers would win 3 out of 4 they would pull ahead of the Cubs by a nice margin. On the other hand if the Cubs would win 4 games or 3 out of 4 they would be ahead of the Brewers by a game or 2 I can't remember exactly what it was.

Now we come to this years 4 game set and the Brewers and Cubs are almost at the exact same records and at about the exact same spots in the division. Will the Brewers be the 07 Cubs and take this upcoming series and send a message to the Cubs and their fans like the Cubs did last year to the Brewers?

The worst thing for the Cubs on this 4 game series would be for the Cubs to get swept and the outcome the Cubs are looking for is for them to win 2 out of the 4 games. The Brewers need to win this series a sweep would be nice but the Brewers have to at least win 3 games out of the 4 games to gain some more momentum against the Cubs and have them press like the Brewers did near the end of the 07 season.

This will be a big series, but a split would be fine with me. There are going to be some serious pitching matchups, and realistically, there will still be 50 games left when they leave town, so the only thing that would really hurt the Crew would be a sweep by the Cubs. Obviously I want to see a series W to get into 1st and put some distance between us, the Cards, and the NL East, but a split would not be the end of the world.

It feels different to me this season because of the wild card race. Last year, it didn't feel like we had a shot at the wild card and beating the Cubs was our only hope. This year, I definitely want to beat the Cubs and win the division. However, the wild card chances look good too just in case the Cubs end up pulling this one out.

It feels as though I am having déjà vu here with this up coming series with the Cubs. Didn't the Brewers and Cubs play a series last year about this time of the year where the Brewers were coming into Chicago in a funk and the Cubs were streaking.

I'm not saying this is going to happen, but if you get swept by the Astros and we sweep the Marlins, who would be streaking and who would be in a funk.

Don't you think you ought to play this weekend first?

Wow, I would expect 2-2 and be content with it. 3 out of 4 would be awesome and sweeping is unimaginable (though any talk of this puts up right in jinx mode). I would be a little disapointed about 1 out of 4 and getting swept would set up back but not knock us out by any stretch.

Also, we have a series against Houston first.

2 best teams in the NL going at it. I agree on the pitching matchups...

Lilly v. CC - big edge Brewers

Z vs. Sheets - Classic

Dempster vs. Parra - Classic undercard

Harden vs. Bush - big edge Cubs

Let's not forget about the 'stros. They've got some guys like Lee & Berkman that can do some damage...its not like we've won these last 8 by 10 runs each. No CC or Sheets this weekend either. Focus people, focus.

It would be huge to have CC going for the Webb's streak on Monday...the town might explode!!!

I'm not saying this is going to happen, but if you get swept by the Astros and we sweep the Marlins, who would be streaking and who would be in a funk.

Don't you think you ought to play this weekend first?

A funk is more than one series. The Brewers are on a hot streak like the Cubs were in 07 when the Brewers went down to Chicago last year for a four game set. It is eerily similar to the same series as last year. The Brewers were in a funk at the time and the Cubs are currently in a small funk of their own at least it is a funk when they are not playing at home.

In any case, given the 2 schedules all the Brewers need to do is split the head-to-head matchups and make up the difference with other teams. You don't *need* a series win when it's a 4-gamer and you're only 1 game back.

It feels different to me this season because of the wild card race. Last year, it didn't feel like we had a shot at the wild card and beating the Cubs was our only hope. This year, I definitely want to beat the Cubs and win the division. However, the wild card chances look good too just in case the Cubs end up pulling this one out.

I feel this sentiment completely. Given a 3 game cushion now in the Wild Card race, I have this "hold on" mentality that it doesn't matter if we can catch the Cubs, just dont play 4 games worse than the Cards the rest of the way and that'll be good enough. Last year, it was catch the Cubs or else. Therefore, this year, I think a split against a team that is better, in that a better winning percentage, is completely acceptable. If for some reason, we win the division then great, but I just dont have this "must-win" feel in the series vs the Cubs. To me, the Cardinals, Phillies, and Mets series will be bigger.

It's not like the team is going to play worse because a few fans are looking forward to the series after the next one. Yeah, I wouldn't want the players to be looking past the Astros, but what the fans do has little impact on how the Brewers perform versus Houston. So if some want to look forward to it, I say let them.

Archived