Brewer Fanatic

Brewers to miss Harden?

CportBadger

Lou Piniella has no concept of how to properly handle his pitching staff. He overworks & abuses arms, including Harden. Instead of planning out how he wants to use a P beyond the game he's in, he makes awful decisions like making Harden throw too many pitches & leads to arguably their best SP (potentially) missing one of the most important series of the year. If anyone wants to start pointing out that we're fortunate to have Ned (at least in one aspect), now would be a good time to make that case.

Then again, it is the Sun Times

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

TooLiveBrew wrote:

Instead of planning out how he wants to use a P beyond the game he's in

He was thinking ahead last year when he pulled Zambrano early in the first game of their playoff series. I did like that move. The Brewers might actually have the best manager in the NL Central.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Speaking of Zambrano - he threw 125 pitches last night, and moving Samardja (however it's spelled) to the starting rotation may be pushing Z back a day, too. Last time Zambrano went for 125, he had 2-3 crappy starts followed by a DL stint.

That would mean Z would pitch the 3rd game of next week's series instead of matching up against Sheets.

Yost the smartest in the NL Central? Let's not get carried away here! Although I do agree that Lou is over-rated, he seemed like such a chump bailing on the Rays and I've never figured out what he does that's so amazing other than go crazy now and again--"Oh ha-ha! 'Mount Lou' is exploding again!!!" He's had some great lineups on his winning teams.

Anyway, Samardzija did get called up: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3505155

Personally I wouldn't do that, BUT if I did, I would start Marquis on Sunday anyway, and then

Harden (on 7 days), Lilly, Zambrano, Dempster (each on 6 days) and I would really like those matchups.

Do you still like the matchups considering it would be

Sabathia vs. Harden

Sheets vs. Lilly

Zambrano vs. Parra

Dempter vs. Bush

There isn't a single game in the series where I think a team has a distinct pitching advantage. I would say Dempster against Bush but Bush has been so good of late I am actually fairly confident in him

Speaking of, if he didn't play football at ND, would there be anywhere near they hype around Cub Nation relative to this call up?

No kidding. It is like some weird cosmic junction of the two teams I hate most in sports the Cubs and Notre Dame. Abusing a pitcher from the two most overhyped and under acheiving teams of the last 20 years will make me down right giddy.

I think it makes sense to delay Harden. The pitching match ups no matter what are going to be exciting. I really can't imagine this series as anything but 2-2. I'm only worried about Bush and the amount of rest he got.

Archived