Brewer Fanatic

Does Brian Anderson not get it?

aracko
I personally think there's a right and wrong way to handle broadcasting a no-hitter. Obviously an announcer can't jinx it or anything, it just is annoying when they say "He's got a no-hitter going" or something like that. When Dave Bush had his going into the eighth at Miller Park, Jim and Bob were alluding to it, reading off the linescore and pausing on the "no hits" for the Blue Jays or saying "The only runners to reach were on the walks..."- things like that are necessary so the audience understands what is going on. But to blatantly blurt it out just is annoying to me.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't believe I know this, but he said, "with the crack of the bat", which wasn't wrong.
Maybe I just misremembered because of the timing. At any point during Hall's at bat Prince should have been taking off with the crack of the bat, but he waited until the count was full to indicate that Fielder would be getting an advantage. To his credit, maybe he started to say what I thought he said but then realized his mistake and bailed out by saying "with the crack of the bat."

(edit: nested quote --1992)

while we all watch the games from start to finish a lot of the time, there are many viewers who don't do that. For them, something we've heard before is a fresh and interesting piece of information.

It'd be really interesting to know how extreme my baseball viewing is. Obviously, I know that the vast majority of people are not watching nearly every inning of (probably) 85% of the games, like me...but how many do watch that much or more. I'd estimate I spend probably 350 hours per year watching the Brewers, then add in a handful of other games of interest that I watch during a season and then playoffs and I'm sure it's over 400 and maybe up around 450 hours total. I just wonder how small the percentage of people that watch that much or more is.

I really can't expect B&B to fill 350 hours per year with interesting commentary. I did find Matt V and Sutton to be more entertaining, though. During the free MLB extra innings thing, I got a chance to catch a bit of each of them. The highlight was Matt V said something like: ...I'd rather have that line up than what we have out there...oh, did I say that out loud...I fogot my filter. I had wondered if Matt was still Matt, because he plays it so straight in his network gigs.

Brian always seems to jinx the brewers, or at least in my eyes. I can not stand when he will sit up in the booth and say A long ball will tie it here. No duh Brian, any casual fan can tell if your down by 1 and someone is at bat, all they need is a homerun to tie it were not idiots. The topic of talking about the no hitters is also something that an announcer should not do. I dont care if you believe in the superstition (like myself) or not, Brian should say something like, "Something special is going on tongiht" but not mention the no-no. Both times he mentioned it in the Bush game going into the 8th inning Dave gave up a hit, and after the 5th inning of CC's game the other night he mentioned it and Ryan got a hit in the 6th. So thats my two sense about BA.

I wonder how much of this non-issue is down to the fact that it's hard to razz on Yost too much, what with having the second best record in the National League. Bill and Brian just happen to be the dog greeting some at the door after a bad day at work.

In my opinion I understand the superstition factor but that only relates to the players on the field. Not the broadcasters or the fans. We all have little superstitions when it comes to the game. My brother has to sit in the same chair and drink the same drink for home games. He "thinks" it helps. As kids we were taught that rally caps work. In the whole scheme of things none of this really affects the outcome and deep down we all know it, but it still remains a part of being a fan and I love it. On another note, joepepsi you are 100% correct. I also have extra innings and some of the other teams announcers are dreadful. NESN is great along with FSN Arizona IMO. YES Network is terrible, but the worst, by far, are the Mariners announcers. Just utterly horrible. No emotion just monotone. We are lucky to have the broadcasters that we do. Believe me folks it could be a ton worse.

I think anyone who complains about Bill Schroeder should be forced to watch a ARZ game with Mark Grace to get proper prospective. Bill is pretty decent. Mark Grace is like a half-drunk urban redneck.

On another note, joepepsi you are 100% correct. I also have extra innings and some of the other teams announcers are dreadful. NESN is great along with FSN Arizona IMO. YES Network is terrible, but the worst, by far, are the Mariners announcers. Just utterly horrible. No emotion just monotone. We are lucky to have the broadcasters that we do. Believe me folks it could be a ton worse.

Yeah, I thought it was Seattle with the announcers that never say anything. I think their broadcasts are also the ones that have no sound from audience. Beltre hits a home run at Safeco and it's like everyone is in line for a frappe mocha at the Starbucks stand.....all you hear is a cricket chirping as he rounds the bases.

Now onto the grammar comments. My wife and I moved to Wisconsin in 1990, (from Iowa of all places!). We get a kick out of some phrases from the locals. People here don't "mow the lawm", they "mow lawn", or "cut grass". My uncle doesn't "drive a truck" for a living; he "drives truck". But the worst phrase, the one that I hear otherwise intelligent, articulate people say, "I borrowed him my lawn mower". No, you loaned him you lawn mower, he borrowed it from you.

That's why radio announcers are trained to understand that you can't give the score of the game often enough. If someone tunes in, and they only have five minutes, they'd better hear the score in those five minutes or they're going to be mad.

I actually think Uke and Powell are awful about this. I've listened for an inning + before getting the score before. I've noted it more than once to whomever I'm listening with. They get talking in their stories with each other and the play-by-play fits in-between and they head out to a commercial and in from a commercial still telling the story and you get no inning/score update. It can be very frustrating.

(edit: pared back quote --1992)

I actually think Uke and Powell are awful about this. I've listened for an inning + before getting the score before.
This is true. Love Uecker, but he is really bad on this. If there's a pitching change and going to a commercial, the radio guys should always give the score. Or when a run scores. Of course at the end of each half inning they tell us the score because it's sponsored by Kohls. Maybe I should sponsor the score whenever there's a pitching change. "we'll be back after the pitching change, the score, brought to you by joepepsi, is Brewers 12 Cubs 1." That would be cool.

(edit: long nested quote --1992)

bigredrobbo 11:47a, this thread: "I wonder how much of this non-issue is down to the fact that it's hard to razz on Yost too much"

bigredrobbo 12:06p, HR ettiqutte thread: "Again, slow news day, Yost-wise, so we have 11 pages of physics and ethics discussions about the game"

Why not check out the Yost threads? There's actually been some great, rational discussions in them lately. These two comments added absolutely nothing imho but baiting.

I don't have a problem with the announcers mentioning a no hitter. To me the superstition only applies to the people on the field and in the dugout.

This is the way I understand it.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

no problem at all with Brian making no-hitter comments. none.

I'm guessing that we're at 60+ posts about this topic because there has really been very little to vent about on the field and, thus, little reason to use the vent thread lately.

And, yes, the Brewers announcers have got to be top 5 in the majors. It's hard for us Extra Inning people to say that to non-Extra inning people and get them to believe, but it really is true.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Jim Powell mentions this too on the radio, but he usually does it later in the game. I think when Bush had his great game against the Blue Jays powell mentioned it in th 7th inning. So if you want to knock BA you should knock JP too, and I think JP is a pretty good announcer.

I think each announcer has to decide how to handle it, and those two guys have decided to talk about it.

I would think information trumps superstition since we all know whatever any announcer says in the booth doesn't effect anything on the field, no matter what our tiny little brains might like to believe.

I left my sons baseball game tonight and had to wait 10 minutes of broadcast time to hear the score and found it highly annoying. I also did not get any updates on how players had done the first time through the order.

The one thing I can say about our broadcasters in general are they aren't annoying homers like the White Sox and Cub guys. I'd rather not listen to a broadcast than hear Santo or Hawk obsess over how great their team is and ignore the actual game.

People here don't "mow the lawm", they "mow lawn", or "cut grass". My uncle doesn't "drive a truck" for a living; he "drives truck".

I've actually never heard anyone speak like that and I moved here in 1985 (from the Chicago area). The borrowed thing is, I think, pretty universal but can't say that I've heard it from many "intelligent, articulate people". Maybe it's just all about the the people you happen to associate with http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif.

Really (other than the pronunciation of certain words, such as "boat", by some people) the only thing I can think of that I noticed being different here is the term "bubbler" http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif. Oh wait, there is also "grill out" and "bakery" (as in "I'm going to buy some bakery").

Really (other than the pronunciation of certain words, such as "boat", by some people) the only thing I can think of that I noticed being different here is the term "bubbler" http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

I love the term "bubbler". Maybe the other stuff is unique to the area I live.

(edit: long nested quote --1992)

Uecker is great at filling time and there is certainly a lot of ddead time in baseball. And that was especially welcome during all of the bad years of Brewers baseball. But as an actual play by play guy he's not that good at all. As stated in this thread he rarely gives the score, he rarely will tell you what a batter has done in his previous at bats. He's too busy with his amusing anecdotes. He's a funny guy but that doesn't make him a good baseball radio guy.

Anderson's problem is that he feels like he has to talk the entire time. Which is likely more a production decision but its annoying. Its baseball, there will be dead times. Even Tim McCarver can shut up for a few pitches.

Anderson's problem is that he feels like he has to talk the entire time.

I know I posted in some other thread about getting to listen to Vin Scully the other day, but this line is very prevalent to him. He's alone in the television booth and I swear he talked nearly constantly! I never noticed it before with Vin but that afternoon game in Colorado this week he rambled on and on and on about a player, the sky, the crowd, a pop fly ball, you name it. Seriously, there was next to no dead air because he was talking all the time. By himself.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived