Brewer Fanatic

Does Brian Anderson not get it?

aracko
Just for comparison's sake, I would like those of you who don't like Anderson and/or Shroeder to name some guys that you do like, because it seems to me that many of the complaints could be made about announcers, in general. I dunno, it just seems to me that I'm always complaining to myself about what I'm watching on T.V. Even poorly written sitcoms draw my ire. So I guess my point is, that for me, there is an acceptable amount of annoyance on the part of broadcasters.

Bob Uecker (I know, he's radio, not TV). We have been spoiled by one of the greatest radio announcers ever. If we could find somebody that was 1/2 as funny for the TV broadcasts as Bob is on the radio, it would be electric. Not to mention his play-by-play isn't bad.

But honestly, its much more fun to say the the TV announce is a knob than to say he is good, isnt it? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif I would agree with your assessment, and I too am always complaining about what I'm watching on TV.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think its something that is fine to be talked about by the broadcasters, but he does it weird. Similar to the comments about how last night was treated as game over, he's acted like the no-hitter is a foregone conclusion. I find it silly that he'll say, "and we're watching something special brew right here" and its the friggin 5th inning or something. I often wonder if he's just not really in-tune with the game yet. He doesn't seem as bad about it this year as last year, but there are times he says something really weird and then Bill is silent forever I've noticed. And he really needs to learn to read if a ball has a chance off the bat to clear the wall or not. Anything in the air and he gets the tone that he thinks its about to go out. He's as bad as the bandwagon fans at the stadium in that respect, who think every ball Prince hits is going to be a homer.

I generally like BA, but he made two mistakes in the 9th last night that had me scatching my head. First, when Corey Hart came up, he said that he had an RBI walk back in the fourth. Acutally, it was Kendall that had the RBI walk. Then a batter later, with Prince on 2nd with two outs, Billy Hall worked the count full. BA said something to the effect that now Prince has a better chance to score since he will be taking off with the pitch. Really? With no one on first? Why - so he can get thrown out at third if Hall walked? I'm usually not too picky, but when my wife even picks up on these mistakes...

I'm tired of his inability to know what is a "deep drive to left center field". It's similiar to 90% of fans who stand up and scream. People, it's a can of corn that is going to be caught 8 steps from the warning track. The premature excitement in his voice is annoying.

I didn't see the second page of this thread when I posted, but ya, that's exactly right.

2 points about not mentioning "the unmentionable."

1) How many times did you not talk about it and it actually happened?

2) Don't you think that there's somebody in the other dugout, the other booth, watching on the other team's feed that's saying, "Hey, this guy's throwing a no-hitter. Maybe we should try to do something about it."

I complained about Brian in one of the IGT earlier this week.

He's as bad as an announcer who has a team for one game a year and has his 4 or 5 "tidbits of information" and goes back to them over and over. It's so frustrating. And ridiculous from someone who has 162 games of contact with the team and should have more than a few cursory bits of info to share.

I completely agree that he acts like no one that watched the game on Monday will be watching on Tuesday. He mentioned that this is the 3rd year of the 3rd Busch a million times. He also brings up the Bill Hall first HR in Busch tons. In fact, one night he went to that one by the 3rd inning and then it was the Aflac Trivia question in the next half inning.

That being said, I watched a few innings of the Cubs game on WGN this week and it was beyond painful. They spent more than an inning doing "shout outs" to people that send them fanmail. Unreal.

The only gripe I have with Anderson is when a grounder is hit to an infielder and before the guy even throws to first, he'll say something like "And the Brewers get out of it." He's gonna get burned on that eventually. Otherwise he's pretty decent imo.

Side note: I have to listen to Uecker at work until 8 and I'm finding it harder and harder to wait for Powell's innings.

I don't care if BA says its a no-hitter. His job is to report what's going on in the game. Plus, people who join the game 1/2 way through may want to know what's up so they know to keep watching.

BA is much better than Sutton was. He's also better than a lot of the other play-by-play guys I've heard for the other teams. I get the Extra Innings package, so I often have to listen to the opposing team's announcers. Sure, he's no Uecker or even Powell, but he's not bad.

I generally like Brian. Yeah, he makes some mistakes during games, but so do all the other guys who are charged with calling 162 games a year (outside of Vin Scully, who is still the gold standard by which all others should be measured).

After watching other broadcasts during the EI free preview, I'm certain we have a top-five pair in all of baseball. A tad annoying at times, yes, but still better than most of the teams out there.

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

What I think is weird is that fans actually 100% believe that what an announcer says has any bearing on the outcome on the field.

I'm tired of his inability to know what is a "deep drive to left center field". It's similiar to 90% of fans who stand up and scream.

Now this is a very legitimate beef. I've been guilty of this myself one time at a game, and I sat with my head buried in my hands as soon as I realized that Prince had merely hit a towering fly ball to medium RC. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/embarassed.gif

before the guy even throws to first, he'll say something like "And the Brewers get out of it." He's gonna get burned on that eventually.

Yeah, many baseball announcers do this, and I agree. Just wait to see the result. It's like an ump making a call before he's certain of the play. The vast majority of the time, it doesn't matter, but when it does... um, whoops.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

One other thing that always makes my head at Brian is when he says a ball was hit well but straight at the fielder and they're showing the fielder running to catch the ball. It's not "right at" the guy if he's got to run and get it. It's stupid, but it bugs me so much.

Brian Anderson is 100% better than Daron Sutton or Matt Vasgersian and is probably a better play by play guy then 90% of the other local market TV broadcasts. The guy does know his baseball I believe and at least to me makes very lfew mistakes that are of consequence. Maybe a little thing here or there but who cares?

Just because they may be better than a lot of other team's announcers doesn't have to mean they're good. I know they mainly need to appeal to the "casual" fan, but a lot of times both Brian and Bill come off as kind of dumb. Did you ever notice whenever a reliever comes in, Bill is basing whether he's good or bad by his record and ERA? That's fine if you mention the numbers, but don't say "Well he's 5-2 with a 3.5 ERA so he's having a pretty good year" when opponents are hitting .300 and he walks a ton of guys. Bill also said that a good WHIP is "Somewhere between 1 and 1.5" once. He might as well say "a good batting average is somewhere between .240 and .350"

I cannot believe how much time and space is spent on this board complaining about the announcers.

This team is on a great roll and you guys are talking about announcers.

Announcers! Not a game. Not a game. We're talking about announcers! Not a game. Not a game we live and die for and watch every game like its our last. Not the game. We talking about announcers, man. How silly is that? We're talking about announcers.

It will be a cold day in hell before any play by play analyst uses a stat other than wins, batting average, ERA, HR, RBI's when determining the success of a given player because 95% of their audience uses the same measure. Play be Play guys aren't designed to satisfy those intellects at Brewerfan.net their designed to satisfy the Brewer fan that thinks Batting average and ERA are the best measure of success.

I complained about Brian in one of the IGT earlier this week.

He's as bad as an announcer who has a team for one game a year and has his 4 or 5 "tidbits of information" and goes back to them over and over. It's so frustrating. And ridiculous from someone who has 162 games of contact with the team and should have more than a few cursory bits of info to share.

I completely agree that he acts like no one that watched the game on Monday will be watching on Tuesday.

I've made mention of this before as well. He re-treads all game long. If you watch the game everyday, then it really becomes annoying.

I should also note, that these are just annoyances really. I've never thought I hated our announcers, but I obviously have some gripes with their style.

...anyone who has Extra Innings knows how much better Brian & Bill are than most of the league.

I have ExtraInnings and I agree wholeheartedly. Some of the teams' announcers are just horrible. Some announcers don't say a word all game. It's like, "ball one" dead air...."strike one"......dead air..."foul ball"....."Jones is looking good tonight".....dead air. A lot of them don't mic the audience either, so even though it looks like the stadium is full, it's sounds like no one is actually at the game. Makes for a really dull broadcast. Who is it that has Rex Hudler? The Angels? He is so self consciously "cute" he's obnoxious.

The Red Sox are very good, so are the Orioles. The Yankees are horrible; a bunch of homers who seldom know anything about the players on the other team. I like Brian and Bill fine, although it does seem sometimes like Brian doesn't really know what he's talking about; almost like he's just repeating something the producer told him in his ear piece.

(edit: long nested quote --1992)

Can you imagine this conversation:

Brian: Bill did you know that Ryan Braun has an OPS + of 140?

Bill: What is OPS +

Brian: I don't know but is probably better than OPS - right?

Bill: Your right partner

Brian: Ben Sheets OPS + is 15

Bill: But atleast it is still positive

Then a batter later, with Prince on 2nd with two outs, Billy Hall worked the count full. BA said something to the effect that now Prince has a better chance to score since he will be taking off with the pitch. Really? With no one on first? Why - so he can get thrown out at third if Hall walked? I'm usually not too picky, but when my wife even picks up on these mistakes...

He actually said Prince would be taking off on contact, or something to that extent, but the way he said it was a bit odd.

One thing I notice about BA that bugs me is he'll say "Prince Fielder would be next" with nobody out and a guy on first. No, he willbe next, because teams get three outs in an inning.

And Fondy, that was awesome.

One thing I notice about BA that bugs me is he'll say "Prince Fielder would be next" with nobody out and a guy on first. No, he willbe next, because teams get three outs in an inning.

Somebody who agrees with me! That seems to happen everywhere. Example: I ask somebody for directions, "Where's the Taco Bell" and get this response. "Oh, it's going to be up the street on the right hand side." Oooook? It's going to be, or it is?

I'm not sure why I pick up on this, but it drives me nuts. Is this technically poor grammar? If so, that's kind of hard to swallow for somebody in the communications profession.

I'm sorry, as I feel like a broken record (I stick up for BA & Rock a bit), but compared to the rest of the league, Brewers fans are exceedingly lucky. I never felt that way, but with Extra Innings for the first time this season, I can say with certainty that it could be worse. A lot worse. And, honestly, it really couldn't get much better. Here's basically how it breaks down imo, and I promise this is free from homerism.

Vin Scully

Upper tier of the rest of the guys (MIL, FLA (I like them), etc.)

Middle of the pack

Len 'n' Bob, Sutton/Grace, etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: Is this poor technically poor grammar?

Ahhh, cruel irony! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif To answer the question, yes, it is poor grammar. Just like saying, "I'm going over by Fred's house", when you really mean, "I'm going over to Fred's house"

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think they are both very good at their jobs, and I'm pretty sure BA did not cost CC a no-hitter. Not that it makes a difference to me, but did he actually use the words no-hitter? My recall(shaky) is that he said that he said he has only allowed a walk to the leadoff hitter, and nothing else. I don't recall the words no hitter or even "he has not allowed a hit". Either way, this is really silly and I suppose since we can't complain much about the team now we have to complain about the announcers breaking up no hitters and hitters watching their home runs(which by the way does bother me). Go Crew.

I've made mention of this before as well. He re-treads all game long. If you watch the game everyday, then it really becomes annoying.

Sure, but most people don't watch the whole game. Similarly, most people don't listen to the whole game on radio. They tune in for a while and probably tune it out because they were listening in the car and arrived at their destination or for many, many other reasons.

That's why radio announcers are trained to understand that you can't give the score of the game often enough. If someone tunes in, and they only have five minutes, they'd better hear the score in those five minutes or they're going to be mad.

And while we all watch the games from start to finish a lot of the time, there are many viewers who don't do that. For them, something we've heard before is a fresh and interesting piece of information.

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

I don't have a problem with the announcers mentioning a no hitter. To me the superstition only applies to the people on the field and in the dugout.

I don't mind Bill or Brian. I certainly like Brian more than Daron who annoyed the hell out of me. He was a little over the top. The one thing that bothers me about Bill is when he goes into his "back in the day" stories. That gets a little old. I sometimes feel as if he does it to build credibility. As if to say " I played MLB so I am qualified to do this job". Bill also repeats himself but how easy is it to come up with a new way to say things when they happen hundreds of times during a season. Overall they do a pretty good job.

Archived