Brewer Fanatic

Gallardo Injury - Blessing in Disguise?

twobrewers

On May 1st Yovani Gallardo pitched a gem of a game and beat the Cub's.

The next day we learned he had torn his ACL and was lost for the season. That day was by far the worst day this year as a Brewer fan. We had just come up with a huge 4-3 victory against the Cubs. And we had just avoided what appeared to be a major injury - only to end up a major injury.

I was 100% sure our season was over. 100%.

In retrospect, aren't the Brewers better without him?

If he doesn't get hurt, I doubt we trade Matt LaPorta for CC Sabathia. Sheets and Gallardo might have lead us to the playoffs, but Sabathia and Sheets seem much more likely to lead to a championship.

Its amazing how these things seem to work out. The worst day of the season - might end up saving the season.

(Honorable mention for Russell Branyan's call-up. He has been horrible for a few weeks now - but he really sparked the Brewers back into contention)

Then again, maybe McClung or Bush wouldn't have stepped it up had Gallardo gotten hurt, and Melvin would have tried to shore up the pitching staff anyway. Who really knows?

I think as long as we weren't at the top of the division and poised to win it all, they would have made the trade. Even if they had been on top, I think last season would have given them pause to think that they had to get 1) a strong arm and 2) and innings eater arm.

Maybe had Gallardo not gotten injured, it might have been a lesser pitcher, but you really don't know. What is more, the season is no where near over. For all we know CC tanks out, or loses every game in the playoffs. (I'm just saying that so it can't happen).

Community Moderator

You just don't know.

Maybe we'd be in the same situation right now except 2 games ahead of the Cubs instead of 1 game behind if we had Gallardo.

All I know is that I like where we are right now, but to keep the momentum going, we have to take at least 3/4 against the Cubs.

I think if Gallardo stays healthy, the Brewers are even more motivated to make the trade for C.C. - they would have still had a big time hitting prospect in their system who was effectively blocked for at least 3 more seasons. If they are serious about being all in, they would make that C.C. trade every time as long as they're in contention.

I'm on cloud nine right now with how the Crew are playing, if only Yo hadn't gotten injured I'd be on cloud 10 right now looking at a rotation that had Sheets, CC, Yo, Parra, and maybe Yost's 3 arm platoon based on gametime humidity....honestly, if those four started a rotation, any one of us could be the 5th starter and the Crew probably makes the playoffs.

On May 1st Yovani Gallardo pitched a gem of a game and beat the Cub's.

The next day we learned he had torn his ACL and was lost for the season. That day was by far the worst day this year as a Brewer fan. We had just come up with a huge 4-3 victory against the Cubs. And we had just avoided what appeared to be a major injury - only to end up a major injury.

I was 100% sure our season was over. 100%.

It may have been the worst day of my Brewer fan career. I was ready to write us off as well, making this run all the more special.

Then again, maybe McClung or Bush wouldn't have stepped it up had Gallardo gotten hurt, and Melvin would have tried to shore up the pitching staff anyway. Who really knows?

If Gallardo hadn't been injured, Bush would probably still be in Nashville. The rotation at the time of the injury: Sheets/Gallardo/Suppan/Parra/Villanueva. Bush had just been sent down because of Gallardo's activation.

Would the Villanueva-McClung rotation switch still have been made, though? McClung was trying to step it up before Gallardo was injured. Everything he's said since being traded to the Brewers indicates that he's so, so very desperate to stay here. The team has had multiple opportunities this year to DFA him, even before the injury, if they were disappointed in his performance. It hasn't happened yet.

The huge negative of losing Gallardo is that he's a much greater unknown going into 2009 than he would have been had he stayed healthy. Had he established himself and gone 15-9 with a 3.30 or so ERA, it would be much easier to let Sheets go.

We assume he's a potential ace or at least a co number one with Parra, but it's all based on potential and the small sample of what we've seen of him.

Conversely if both Sheets and Sabathia are gone as most expect, the Brewers will be back under the radar (ala the Twins), with still the potential to be very good in 2009 and still a lot of options for deals.

In retrospect, aren't the Brewers better without him?

Not one bit -- We could have still traded for CC or Harden, etc....

Is anyone else having visions of Gallardo being to the Brewers in October 2008 what KRod was to the Angels in October 2002?

Not me -- Yo won't be in pitching shape.

I'd rather have Gallardo who is 90% of Sabathia and still have been able to use LaPorta to trade for someone else or maybe even still get Sabathia.

Man I find it hard to believe you are saying this after what CC has done since he's gotten here. When the trade happened, were you against it no matter what CC did?

If Gallardo hadn't gotten hurt, we'd likely be ahead of the Cubs right now. As much as the Gallardo injury deflated the fans, it seemed to also deflate the team. They went on to lose 12 of their next 16 games.

If playoff experience is so valuable, I look forward to Suppan ptching game 1 and Counsell starting at 2B. Everything else equal, I'll take the playoff experience for sure. I'm just not going to give it a whole heck o a lot of value.

And I'm getting the impression that some expect CC to pitch complete game shutouts every time. He's a great pitcher but let's be reasonable. If you use anything resembling a realistic projection for Yo (3.75 ERA?) and Sabathia (3.25), a full season of Yo would be expected to be at least as valuable as CC getting his 17 starts. Throw in another arm (McClung or Bush) in the pen and the lost prospects and it's really not even close.

You could compare this to the Los Angeles Lakers this year losing Andrew Bynum for the year and then making the trade for Pau Gasol and the Lakers being a better team as a result, but the fundamental difference is that the Lakers gave up practically nothing, while we gave up our top prospect. The Lakers also control Gasol for a couple more years, while we only have C.C. for the remainder of the season. We would be better off right now with Gallardo's 30 some starts than trading our farm for 17 starts. There's no doubt in my mind about that.

You could compare this to the Los Angeles Lakers this year losing Andrew Bynum for the year and then making the trade for Pau Gasol and the Lakers being a better team as a result, but the fundamental difference is that the Lakers gave up practically nothing, while we gave up our top prospect. The Lakers also control Gasol for a couple more years, while we only have C.C. for the remainder of the season. We would be better off right now with Gallardo's 30 some starts than trading our farm for 17 starts. There's no doubt in my mind about that.

better off long term, yes. but you have to balance that against the desire of the Brewers to get into the playoffs this year. And a prospect at this point is just a prospect, not proven Major league talent. We did get the reigning Cy Young Award winner, too. I guess I like the team showing that they are willing to take some calculated risks for the chance at the big payoff.

Archived