Brewer Fanatic

Brewers' HR's and HR Etiquette: Is the Crew getting too cocky?

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not positive, but it looked like that ball was probably in the first row, but was no deeper than the 3rd row. It was tough to tell where exactly the ball hit. The 2 guys in the first row appear to trying to catch it. There are guys in the 4th row who seem to be looking forward at the ball the whole time. Go to the Brewers website and make up your own mind. I am sure there will be several differnt opinions on where it landed.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I still don't particularly care for what Braun did tonight but on a night where a Cubs' farmhand threw a ball into an opposing team's dugout and ended up putting a fan in the hospital instead, it's hard to argue about "class" and "emotion" for a few seconds worth of staring.

I absolutely love it when ball players watch their home runs, but only if they are meaningful home runs. Braun's homer tonight gave us the lead in the 9th inning to (eventually) clinch the sweep of a current rival. That home run was huge in length and importance.

I'm sure some of us have felt what it is like to hit a home run off the sweet spot of a wood bat, but I haven't. And if I were to hit an important home run like Braun did tonight . . . I would let my emotions show and watch that home run. Ryan Braun walked it out like he was a man tonight and he should because he earned it.

I still don't particularly care for what Braun did tonight but on a night where a Cubs' farmhand threw a ball into an opposing team's dugout and ended up putting a fan in the hospital instead, it's hard to argue about "class" and "emotion" for a few seconds worth of staring.

I think this is the winner right here.

I don't really mind players watching their home runs, unless they make a show of it. I don't think Braun was trying to show up Franklin.

Didn't he apologize to a catcher after Yost tore him a new one for staring at a home run too long sometime last season?

I think the ball hit about 9 rows back. You'll notice a guy in red standing up and covering himself, cuz he doesn't seem to know where the ball is. I think it bounced behind him and ricocheted down. Either that or it emerged from his shorts pocket. I leave it to you, BF.net to decide which is the more impressive feat. You can definitely see the ball change trajectory around the guy standing. I feel like I'm watching the Zapruder film. "Back, and to the left."

the worst is when ramirez stares and then spins around while clapping.

pretty sure that's what he did on the walk-off last year against the crew in wrigley.

I love when Manny does that

i should have clarified, but i meant aramis.

i don't mind manny, he's made it very obvious that everything he does is in good spirit and fun.

This is one of the stupidest things in baseball. I don't understand how it's showing up the other team by watching your ball leave the yard but fist pumping and screaming is okay for the pitcher after striking someone out. Who cares? The players care about the game too and are excited when they make huge game changing plays. I don't blame them to get caught up in the moment, I'd want to do it to if I was them. Not like he did a little dance or something. He just watched it. Stupid.

If they want to bean Braun next time we play then so be it. Expect it, maybe notify the ump that something will happen or preemptively bean one of there players so ump issues warning. Not something I'm going to be worried about tho. We'll cross that bridge when it comes.

I absolutely loved it. It was a huge moment in the game and obviously you're going to show some emotion. If it was the first inning or they were getting blown out that is one thing, but to have it put the team in the lead in the ninth inning I think its perfectly acceptable to sit and watch for a bit. The whole you shouldn't show much emotion thing in baseball is ridiculous. If a pitcher wants to pump his fist after a big strikeout, great. If a batter wants to do the same thing I say great as well, it shows they're human and are as excited as we are. How many of you who didn't like what he did were going crazy for that home run in your house? Now just imagine what he felt when he hit it. Can you realize now why he reacted like that?

Maybe Im giving Braun too much "good guy" credit......but the way I see it .....He hit it so hard and high that he knew it was either a homerun or a long (high) fly ball out. Theres a chance that JJ on first was tagging up incase its a long fly ball out (not going half way) so that he could get into scoring position with 2 outs. No sense in Braun sprinting to first base in that instance (and getting tangled up with the baserunner who might be coming back to the bag). It just didnt look like a "in your face" celebration.

He got it, he knew he got it, and he was unashamed to take a long look at it. Given how classless the Cards have played against us in recent memory, I relished in Ryan's gaze.

Amen!

I loved it, and I'm not normally all about that stuff. The Cardinals had it coming, as they pose and hotshot as much as anyone.

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

So are all the people who are upset at Braun admiring his HR for 3 seconds also upset every time CC walks off the mound with a fist pump or yelling enthusiastically? Would it be better if Braun would have started running, gave a couple of fist pumps and shouted, "Whooo, hooooo......yessssss." Is Tiger Woods classless when he sinks a big put and does a fist pump half way across the green, or Favre runs down the field and fireman carries Driver off the field? Why is it only unacceptable for a hitter in baseball, but every other athlete including pitchers are get a pass? I just don't get the double standard.

For what its worth, my first comment after the HR was, "Prince is taking one in the ribs right here." But you know what, I'll take the free base. Heck, I'm a fan of us striking more poses if it nets us more base runners.

For what its worth, my first comment after the HR was, "Prince is taking one in the ribs right here." But you know what, I'll take the free base. Heck, I'm a fan of us striking more poses if it nets us more base runners.

As long as the vigilante justice doesn't lead to a broken hand for one of our hitters, I'm with you.

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It's a little cocky and he should expect some revenge...my biggest concern is that Ned turns this into a bean ball war and ends up getting one or more players suspended.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It's a little cocky and he should expect some revenge...my biggest concern is that Ned turns this into a bean ball war and ends up getting one or more players suspended.

Maybe there is a reason to keep Mota on the roster then....

I once again repeat it wasn't so much that he stared it, it was that it cleared the fence by 3 feet!!!! What if their was a gust of wind that kept in the ballpark , Braun could have easily been thrown out at 2nd and we could have easily lost the game. Sabathia or any pitcher that shows crazy emotion is a completely different story because for them the play was already over, Braun was taking baby steps towards first while the ball was in the air. Sure you can admire it for a 2nd, but then act like you have hit a home run before. I love Ryan Braun and this really only the 2nd occasion when I think he hot dogged one and given the situation I can understand a little more, but that HR was in doubt even if Ryan thought he got it all.

EDIT: I had no problems with Hall, his HRs got out by plenty and he only stared a little bit and then made the trip

It rubs me the wrong way, but I guess I don't have any major problem with it. To me, watching it is cocky, not celebratory. This is showboating. Running around the bases clapping/fist pumping, etc.. doesn't fall in the same category, IMO.

Also, I feel like it was different for Billy. He had a look of "Holy crap, did I just do that again?" He looked shocked and momentarily stunned - once he woke up, he started running.

Maybe I'm making it up, but they had different feels to me.

Theres a chance that JJ on first was tagging up incase its a long fly ball out (not going half way) so that he could get into scoring position with 2 outs.

There is absolutely zero chance that JJ is tagging up on a ball like that. I would be shocked if he wasn't slightly past 2nd base.

Isn't there a gap between where the fans are and the field in the part of the stadium where Braun hit his home run? It didn't look too far up in the stands but I could swear there is one of those deals where there are two walls that look like one from the camera angle given on the home run.

I think he hit that ball further than some think, it just doesn't look like it from the camera angle.

It rubs me the wrong way, but I guess I don't have any major problem with it. To me, watching it is cocky, not celebratory. This is showboating. Running around the bases clapping/fist pumping, etc.. doesn't fall in the same category, IMO.

Also, I feel like it was different for Billy. He had a look of "Holy crap, did I just do that again?" He looked shocked and momentarily stunned - once he woke up, he started running.

Maybe I'm making it up, but they had different feels to me.

This is how I feel. If you have unbridled enthusiasm - an instant eruption of joy - I'm fine with that. That's why I don't mind Favre running down field, or CC, or anything like that. But the cold stare is a bit cocky.

I too don't mind that it was done to the Cards, but I always believe that hubris like that will come back to haunt you somehow. I guess I just prefer that players be humble when they can.

I too don't mind that it was done to the Cards, but I always believe that hubris like that will come back to haunt you somehow. I guess I just prefer that players be humble when they can.
I'll take humble when I can get it too, but I'll take the big hits first and foremost.

(pared back long quote --1992)

Archived