Brewer Fanatic

Brewers' HR's and HR Etiquette: Is the Crew getting too cocky?

I took monster home runs to mean deep, and I'm pretty sure you knew he meant that too.

It was a generalization.

Yeah, I know. I was just saying that my main point was the homer was a wall-scraper, and watching it fly this time could have hurt the team.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

could only really think of this for those that didn't like it:

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very braun-o-licious power I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said 'Thank you' and went on your way."

Its not little league. They are the big boys.

And, what, that means it's OK for etiquette and class to go out the window?

No it means your little comment about coaching your son in little league has nothing to do with this

Sure does. If you think that there's "nothing wrong" with a pause to watch and then a rooster strut to start a home run trot, as you've said repeatedly, then that's not the brand of sportsmanship I'd want imparted on a child of mine.

alright lets agree it was a bit over the top, but it was a HUGE moment and he is still a young player. I'm not excusing it but I don't think it was THAT bad.

Hopefully he wears some body armor for that 2 game set later on this season though.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of watching it as long as Braun did, but it was an enormous homerun so I can't say I blame him and therefore it didn't bother me.

To those saying that he should have been running hard because he might have been thrown out at 2b are nitpicking a little bit. If Braun had a doubt, he would have been running hard. If you have ever hit a homerun, you just know when you got enough. I have never hit a homerun where I questioned whether it had enough. Hard to explain, but you just know. Braun knew. He knew it was huge and got caught up in the emotion a bit and thus watched it a bit longer than he should have. Not a big deal.

It is not the same as Little League so that comparison is a bit much, but I realize that these guys are role models to the kids and teaching the basics of sportsmanship and being humble is important at a young age so I can see where you are coming from. However, some of the complaints sound like a dad whose kid can't go yard! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif Give him some more BP! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

This may be off topic, but I think a pitcher running off the field after the third out is much worse than watching a homerun. A pitcher should walk off the field.

This is odd.

..haven't read this really long thread...

Mark the Cheater never watched his homers? No one in baseball ever watches their homers? So what if Braun stared at it. It was boss right? Was TRL classy letting Prince get drilled? How about last year when the retaliation ended up hurting us. Screw the Cards. Screw LaRussa! May they rest in peace. Whiners.

Whiners.

edit....whiners.

normally I don't like showboating but this time I had no problem with it. For years the Cardinals have stuck it to us, and Brauns HR was a big screw you to the Cards. As for it not being 15 rows deep, Braun has hit more HRs than any of us combined. He is the one that hit it, he felt the contact and if he knew he didn't get it, he would have busted butt around the bases. I'll trust that if he knows he got it, then its going to be gone. I think what Joba and Zambrano does is much worse than what Braun did. Braun told the Cardnials to stick it, and I love it.

If guys are parading around the bases for a team 12 games out of a playoff spot during the middle innings of a meaningless baseball game, I have a problem with it.

These home runs are game deciding blasts...if they were hit at home they're walk offs that are followed by team celebrations at the plate. It always looks worse for a hitter in the top of the inning to pose - it's obvious that the home crowd won't appreciate it. Aaron freaking miles did his own sort of pose just on Sunday. Aram hit a flyball to the warning track a few nights ago and acted like he just cured cancer at the plate - in like the 4th or 5th inning. Pujols and Arod do it all the time. Soriano, etc, etc, etc.

The way I see it is if opponents don't like it, maybe they should get guys out instead of letting them hit huge, game-changing home runs. It's not just the Brewers, it's like this throughout the game. Oh, and if a team wants to get involved with the Brewers in a bean ball war, they might want to size up their active roster before comitting to trying to start a brawl....there's some big boys on this team.

A lot of talk about how it was a wall scraper so Braun shouldn't have watched it. If you notice on Ryan's bombs he puts his head down and runs. The type of ball Ryan hit was either a homer or an out. He probably thought he got it but he was watching it to make sure.

Seriously way too much is being made out of this.

It was a HUGE home run.

I think the idea that it was a wall-scraper (or somewhere near that) is skewed. I hope someone that TiVo'd the game can go back & watch, but I think the idea that it wasn't way gone is only due to the camera switch. FSN-WI shot out to the camera, which didn't have a bead on the ball, and what we saw was mainly the fans reacting.

But the ball looked to bounce off the concrete stairs about 8-10 steps up, not off the first or second row of seats. Braun clobbered it, and the ball was a moonshot to boot. He got it, he knew he got it, and he was unashamed to take a long look at it. Given how classless the Cards have played against us in recent memory, I relished in Ryan's gaze.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If it was an out, he'd have looked equally as dumb as if it hit the wall.

How so? If you don't know the result and just watch Braun you wouldn't be sure if he hit a no doubter or just missed one.

Either way that's not the type of fly ball that ends up off a wall. Its either gone or an out.

Not cocky enough. He should have worked a mooning into there somewhere a la Randy Moss.

If he hits a game-winner against the Cubs, I want to see him do a repeat of Alfonso Soriano's moonwalk out of the batter's box.

I watched the video that's on MLB.com's recap of the game, and came to the same conclusion TLB did -- judging from the FSN Midwest feed, it ricocheted off the stairs and bounced back into the field. The Cards outfielders stopped running once they realized they had no chance of robbing it. I think if it was close to being a wall-scraper, they would've tried to make a leaping grab, considering the circumstances.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

The homerun was awesome but the pose was not. I mean I love Braun's cockiness personally, but he took it 2 steps to far there. I would have loved to see him take 2 steps to stare and then get on his horse but he took roughly 5 steps. At least it wasnt Aramis Ramirez skipping all the way to first after his walk off against the Crew last year.

I think Braun is way better about it, he's been good this year about putting his head down and maybe having a fist pump. I'm not upset about this one really, it was a huge homerun that capped an absolutely huge road trip. Did Braun earn himself a plunk in the ribs when we see the Cards in August, no doubt. But its not like he does a trot on every homer he hits like other guys in the league.

Billy's falls into a pretty similar note, hitting a game winner two nights in a row.

Also, Albert starteed posing on Monday night when he thought he had hit a big game winning homerun too I thought.

If the Cards plunk Braun, the Crew needs to plunk back - if it leads to the brawl, then that be that.

If the Cards plunk Braun, the Crew needs to plunk back - if it leads to the brawl, then that be that.

This isn't directed toward you, but this is why I think the whole "retaliation" beaning is so dumb. If they hit Braun, fine, let it go. Otherwise I can see us throwing at Pujols, people potentionally getting tossed/suspended. Totally not worth, too bad Yost didn't know that last year.

Everyone in baseball knows that the Cards have a right to plunk Braun and Hall. I'm sure that LaRussa will not forget, and if Yost/The Crew get in a tit for tat response the Brewers will pay. Tony screwed us last year by baiting our team, and he'd love nothing more than to get us again. Very, very stupid Ryan.

If the worst thing about tonight's game is some panties getting in a bundle about a 20-something kid admiring a game-winning jonron, then I'd say we're in good shape. Tacky? Sure. But I suspect there's not a lot of blood in the frontal lobe after doing what Braun did. And as for La Russa and his Jedi mind tricks, I think the Scotch has taken the edge off.

Archived