Brewer Fanatic

Brewers' HR's and HR Etiquette: Is the Crew getting too cocky?

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If that ball doesn't go out, he doesn't even have an opportunity at a double. Yes I know it went out, but it was WAY to close to be admiring it.

That's the only legitimate argument I've seen. But you aren't in as good of a position to judge as Braun because he's the only guy who felt how his bat contacted the ball. Most hitters seem to know even they they barely clear the fence. The fact of the matter is it went over the fence so you have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I have zero problem with any hitter posing or admiring a bomb they hit so long as it actually leaves the yard. I think it's ridiculous that only in baseball that a player shouldn't be allowed to show some excitement or be proud of doing something great.

In all other sports players do things after a great play. Football players spike the ball after a TD which brings attention to themselves. Hockey players celebrate goals in a way that brings attention to themselves. If a baseball player jacks a bomb, he should have every right to watch and admire what he did, it's a very tough thing to do.

Plus, i like baseball players with some flair, like say Manny of the Red Sox. I love his pose after homers, it's entertainment to me. If pitchers don't like the homer pose, don't serve up a meatball, end of story.

Community Moderator

I have absolutely no problem with it.

My roommate isn't a baseball fan and I was trying to explain the whole "unwritten rules" thing to him and I showed him a clip of Braun's controversial HR from last year as an example. He simply could not understand how taking a few steps after hitting a home run could be worthy of getting thrown at.

Let's face it, after that HR, we were all jumping up and down and screaming and we expect him to just put his head down and jog around the bases when he just hit one of the biggest home runs of his career?

Bernman23 wrote:

The fact of the matter is it went over the fence so you have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I would, but I know other players have hit balls they thought were out but were not.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Does anybody have a problem with it if it means he gets thrown at next time?

I don't really have a problem with the cockiness. I just get a little nervous about him getting thrown at due to the incredibly small chance that it could lead to an injury. Or is that just unreasonable paranoia on my part?

I have absolutely no problem with it.

My roommate isn't a baseball fan and I was trying to explain the whole "unwritten rules" thing to him and I showed him a clip of Braun's controversial HR from last year as an example. He simply could not understand how taking a few steps after hitting a home run could be worthy of getting thrown at.

Let's face it, after that HR, we were all jumping up and down and screaming and we expect him to just put his head down and jog around the bases when he just hit one of the biggest home runs of his career?

Ah, you've got to love the unwritten rules of baseball. You CAN'T use the eyes that God gave you to watch/admire YOUR home run, which is a completely victimless action. You CAN throw a ball 95 miles per hour into the square of a guy's back, possibly injuring him, severely if you miss and the ball hits him in the head. Huh?

On some of the Cardinals fan forums, they are referring to the Brewers as "classless punks" and some of them now would rather see the Cubs beat us. Now I realize they are upset about the devastating losses and are emotional right now, but Cardinals fans are generally thought of as knowledgable and classy.

I think Ned needs to talk to his players and the boys need to show a little bit more etiquette.

(But it's a good problem to have, right?)

the worst is when ramirez stares and then spins around while clapping.

pretty sure that's what he did on the walk-off last year against the crew in wrigley.

I love when Manny does that, he brings some flair to the game of baseball that to often unwritten rules try to shut down.

Nobody say anything if a pitcher say strikes out the side and kinda glares at a hitter as he walks off the mound, yet a pitcher should be offended just because a hitter watches his home run for a few seconds?

It's a real peeve of mine that baseball feels the need to dull down the game and not allow much or any showing of individualism when a player does something great. If a hitter say pointed at the pitcher and started talking smack as he circled the bases, then yea i could see an issue. Just watching the ball for a second a two deserves scorn and a bean ball next at bat? That's a bunch of crap IMO.

If football players can celebrate in the End Zone after a TD, I have no problem with Braun admiring a game winning home run. Let the guy have fun and enjoy his job.
Not really the same thing. When a guy scores a TD the play is over. What Braun did tonight has Leon Lett potential. If Braun stopped at 2B to admire his HR that would be more like a player celebrating after a TD. I have no problem with a guy skipping around the bases, jumping around and clapping his hands after it is called a HR.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

And.....?

He was showing emotion, big deal.

There's a difference between "showing emotion" or celebrating and drawing attention to yourself or showboating or showing up the pitcher.

I'm not saying it's the most classless thing I've ever seen or the end of the world or it makes Ryan a bad person or anything, but I don't agree that there's nothing wrong with it and I wish he and Hall wouldn't do it.

I don't like it when players hotdog it, admire their handiwork forever, etc., but I really don't care about this one by Braun. After the infamous homer last year, Braun got this label that he is an ultra-cocky showboat. I just don't see it. If he strolled down to first (Ken Griffey, Jr.) every time he hit one, sure, I wouldn't like it, but he doesn't do that. If a guy stares at a homer every once in a while, fine. Whatever.

Hall has pretty much always done it, which I don't like. But what I don't like about it isn't so much the cockiness, as he doesn't really go overboard with it, it's that, at least in the past, it has seemed like Hall admires shots he THINKS will be out, even if they hit the wall.

If football players can celebrate in the End Zone after a TD, I have no problem with Braun admiring a game winning home run. Let the guy have fun and enjoy his job.
Not really the same thing. When a guy scores a TD the play is over. What Braun did tonight has Leon Lett potential. If Braun stopped at 2B to admire his HR that would be more like a player celebrating after a TD. I have no problem with a guy skipping around the bases, jumping around and clapping his hands after it is called a HR.

So what if there was a penalty on the play?

What Braun did tonight has Leon Lett potential.

I like that. Fun analogy.

The posing/staring doesn't bother me anymore (especially when its for the good guys). I guess I just wanted to see the ball clear by 50 feet; it must be my conservative nature.

Archived