Brewer Fanatic

Brewers' HR's and HR Etiquette: Is the Crew getting too cocky?

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This thread originally started when Braun hit a homer in St. Louis that some fans, myself included, thought was just barely out. Many thought he should have been running out of the box in case it didn't go out. It has obviously evolved beyond that. I would prefer to see all players put their head down and run until there is a homerun signal. I don't like players showing up the other team, but I am not going to get on a player for showing emotion.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I don't think briefly watching a ball go out or pumping your fist is "showing up the other team." If it is, then the Brewers are getting in their heads, and that's only a positive for us. Like was pointed out, many other players do it, and it's been going on for years. I think it's a little ridiculous to single out Braun for it.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I don't see the need to call brewerguy71 a troll just because he posted an unpopular opinion. He wasn't condecending or trying to instigate, at least in my opinion, just trying to add to the discussion. What a great way to welcome new members!

ETA: I can understand the distaste for Braun showing emotion, although it doesn't really bother me. I grew up watching stoic ballplayers and would criticize younger players who would show any significant emotion, so when my team then had one of those players I felt hypocritical. But as long as it doesn't cost runs, I can't complain.

I would prefer to see all players put their head down and run until there is a homerun signal.

I don't see why it is a problem to watch the ball while you run, just like any other ball that the batter puts in play. I like when players on other teams go into a home run trot and then it turns out to not make it out and they get a single off the wall.

I'm perfectly fine with it. In every sport no one really thinks twice about it. I mean, come on... in the NFL defensive players celebrate like nuts just after making a routein tackle (not that I advocate that). A homerun is about the hardest thing to do in sports, shouldn't the players be happy about it?

I dont think there is a problem with watching it as you run or trotting. If the ball doesnt make it out of the park, the player winds up looking like a fool. I have no problem with that. But when a player stands at the plate and watches it, thats when it annoys me. It seems like Braun, lately, cannot go a HR or two without admiring himself. I am shocked that the Cards did not throw at him the next day. Hall as well for that matter.

Last year when Prince Fielder got brushed back by Matt Capps, the next day he had a monster day, right up until he started boucing up and down with "What do you think of me now?" attitude and stare down. He did what you are supposed to do in those types of situations, he had a great performance.

I understand that guys get excited. But some Brewers seem to take it too far. That self imposed curtain call last night by Braun was a joke. And it was done simply because he lost his head.

Its all unnecessary. Its all just pomp and circumstance and makes the game look bad. imo.

I almost forgot that curtain call. The fans seemed suprised that he did it, it was kind of a "Giving yourself a pat on the back" kind of moment. Pretty sure you don't get a curtain call for a game tying HR in the 6th inning, unless it is a milestone HR, which is wasn't..I was just happy he ran out last night's homer even though it was a bomb.

I dont think there is a problem with watching it as you run or trotting. If the ball doesnt make it out of the park, the player winds up looking like a fool. I have no problem with that. But when a player stands at the plate and watches it, thats when it annoys me. It seems like Braun, lately, cannot go a HR or two without admiring himself. I am shocked that the Cards did not throw at him the next day. Hall as well for that matter.

Last year when Prince Fielder got brushed back by Matt Capps, the next day he had a monster day, right up until he started boucing up and down with "What do you think of me now?" attitude and stare down. He did what you are supposed to do in those types of situations, he had a great performance.

I understand that guys get excited. But some Brewers seem to take it too far. That self imposed curtain call last night by Braun was a joke. And it was done simply because he lost his head.

Its all unnecessary. Its all just pomp and circumstance and makes the game look bad. imo.

Brauns homer was on the last day of a series.

Community Moderator

The self imposed curtain call was a joke.

I think it would have been fun if he would just have popped out and pumped his fists to the crowd in order to get them even more fired up. It would have ticked off the Cubs fans, but at least he wouldn't have been congratulating himself.

I think if he would have waited another 20 seconds, the fans would have been calling for him anyway.

Soriano was far worse than Braun last night, he walked out of the box on a double! I wish Braun would've played it better off the wall and thrown him out, that was ridiculous

One of the Cubs (don't recall who) did that on Tuesday night too, started a home run trot on a ball off the wall. They apparently have not realized that this is not Wrigley Field.

Prince showed up Massett pretty good last night, also that was nothing compared to what Soriano did against the Astros.

I think overall in comparison with the rest of the league our guys are pretty tame or fall right in line with league average

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

How about Prince's trot today? Took a little bit of time to see it out.

How does it compare to Braun's?

That was great. He was thrown up and in twice in that at bat. If he wants to watch that bomb fly out, I have no problem with it.

That was great. He was thrown up and in twice in that at bat. If he wants to watch that bomb fly out, I have no problem with it.

I agree. After that homer, he could have made "choo! choo!" sounds while pulling on an imaginary train whistle while rounding the bases, and I think it would have been appropriate.

It's a little weird that we consider Prince's HR walk okay in a blowout but Ryan Braun's little stare on a GW HR in the 9th inning got 13 pages of shame.

Not me. I could really care less what players do on homers. Of course if a player does it against your team it's annoying, but really, I completely forgot about Soriano and Ramirez walking out of the box on their doubles.

Archived