Brewer Fanatic

Brewers' HR's and HR Etiquette: Is the Crew getting too cocky?

I was very excited to see Braun's HR tonight. I wasn't very excited to see him walk along and admire it. I missed Billy Hall's HR on Tuesday night, but the Cardinals announcers on FSN Midwest were saying that Billy Hall did the same thing, and that in general the Crew was being too admiring of their HR's.

I have to admit I don't like that. I like to think we have a workman like team (with god-like powers) who are humble of their (super-awesome) powers. But I guess that isn't true.

Somebody please tell me they've seen Pujols and other Cardinals do the same thing so I don't feel as embarrassed about the cockiness. Don't get me wrong, I of course am ecstatic about the HR's, but I don't like the batters showing up the pitchers. Be humble.

Edit: Title grammar + spelling... AT / 1992

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think the past couple have been more a function of when/how they happened...late game changers. they both definitely gave the ball a good look though.

i kind of expected hall to get one in the rear wednesday night.

Somebody please tell me they've seen Pujols and other Cardinals do the same thing so I don't feel as embarrassed about the cockiness. Don't get me wrong, I of course am ecstatic about the HR's, but I don't like the batters showing up the pitchers. Be humble.

Well, on Monday night, Pujols ran toward home with his arms raised high in the air looking like a guy who was plating the winning run in October -- and it was the first inning. Granted, as someone who cannot stand Pujols, stuff like that might rub me the wrong way more than it should, but that's at least as obnoxious as admiring a game-changing home run in my book.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Pujols admires his homeruns as much as any guy in the league (except maybe Soriano)........big deal, IMO. Everyone does it, and to be quite honest, I'm just happy to see the Brewers be good enough to justify showing some swagger on the field and not look ridiculous doing it.

I hate this double standard that has traditionally existed that says hitters can't watch their home runs and celebrate, while some pitchers like Zambrano are allowed to resort to histrionics anytime they strike somebody out. What's more difficult to do, strike someone out or hit a home run? Hit a homer of course by far. So a home run deserves more of a celebration. If pitchers don't want hitters to watch homers, don't allow them, it's as simple as that. Once a hitter has went yard he has earned ownership of the baseball from the pitcher.....he can do whatever he wants with it those next few seconds before fans fight over it like savages. To the winner go the spoils. I want more celebrating in the game of baseball and not less. Show that you care.

When you sweep your division rival in 4 games on 3 game winning homers, you get to trot. Pujols probably would have been worse. And can you imagine what Soriano or Ramirez would've done? Probably turned around and curtsey.

I'm sure Ned will talk with him. But really, the guy is on an 8-8 tear and just hit a game winner.

Give him a break guys.

He just hit a go ahead home run against a divison rival to sweep the series. He has always been like this. BIG DEAL.

It was a HUGE home run. He is not the only one to ever stare at a home run.

Its part of the game, just like NFL players dance when they score a TD.

And who cares if it barley got over, it got over and he knew it would.

GO BRAUN!

Braun needs to walk casually around the bases next time. No trot; just walking. A nice stroll.

I don't know why people get up in arms about this.

Braun is very confident yes(cocky), but he is also a very grounded individual. I wouldn't worry about it going to his head.

3TO Apostle

If you know you got it...and you do know when you get it...it's a pretty natural thing to watch it! Situation does dictate the form of their celebrations too... Braun has not been pimping the majority of his long home runs this year actually when compared to last year.

There's no doubt that Billy and Ryan cadillac it as much as anyone out there. I'd prefer they didn't do that. But, as someone said earlier... if you don't like, don't let 'em hit it out. I'm sure they'll get one in their earhole soon enough.

He is not the only one to ever stare at a home run.

I don't understand how that is a reason it's OK. It was rather bush league in my opinion, but it was an in-the-moment reaction to a huge homerun. I just hope it doesn't become habit.

Heck, even Joe Carter didn't watch his Series-winner that long.

It gives the Brewers a swagger too. The Cubs are known for their swagger. The Derrek Lee hop after a home run. The Aramis Ramirez stare. The Alfonso Soriano pose. That's what gets you to be feared. The fact that Braun did that is awesome. It'll give us more publicity on ESPN, and makes more of a dramatic feel to it.

No way is it too cocky or over the top. It's about time someone shows some attitude out there. It was a huge week for the team, 3 huge home runs against the Cards, I probably would have watched it longer myself!

If that ball doesn't go out, he doesn't even have an opportunity at a double. Yes I know it went out, but it was WAY to close to be admiring it.

EDIT: I don't care if other players do it, it doesn't make it right.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I think Braun is way better about it, he's been good this year about putting his head down and maybe having a fist pump. I'm not upset about this one really, it was a huge homerun that capped an absolutely huge road trip. Did Braun earn himself a plunk in the ribs when we see the Cards in August, no doubt. But its not like he does a trot on every homer he hits like other guys in the league.

Billy's falls into a pretty similar note, hitting a game winner two nights in a row.

Also, Albert starteed posing on Monday night when he thought he had hit a big game winning homerun too I thought.

Archived