Brewer Fanatic

7/22/06 Brewers (Bush) @ Reds (Mays), 5:10 PM CT

jloos19
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
Do people here really, truly, in their heart of hearts believe that 18 pitches in a game, on the day of a side session, has anything to do with today? Really?

Absolutely. Huge difference between bullpen sessions and actual games. Please point to another example where a MLB manager has done the same thing with success.

I'm sure if I found one example, that would not be enough to prove it, just as if you found two or three instances where it turned out as it has today for Bush. There were unusual circumstances involved and I don't fault Yost for his decision, even if it seemed far from ideal.

How exactly are bullpens different? Do they not throw as hard? Do they only use some of their pitches? Do they not prepare as much mentally? Maybe the latter, but that shouldn't affect the mental state of mind days later.

I just don't buy that a brief showing can throw a routine out of wack dramatically. And in any event, as pointed out, Bush has done this before ... he's not a dominant enough pitcher for me to believe anything was really "wrong" as a result of Wednesday.

We can agree to disagree. But to answer your question the energy level and intensity of being in a game is much more intense than throwing in the bullpen, mentally for sure but physically as well... there is a reason why it isn't done often...

Think it through a little, if such a thing was no big deal, we'd see it all the time. Seriously, who would you rather have pitching in a tight spot in the 7th inning, Capuano or Brian Shouse?

*edited for spelling

Archived