Brewer Fanatic

7/22/06 Brewers (Bush) @ Reds (Mays), 5:10 PM CT

jloos19
Quote:
As intelligent baseball fans we really need to question whether Ned Yost can take this team to the next level...

I don't have a problem with Ned for the most part, but his handling of Corey Hart baffles me.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seems like we are patient for the first couple of innings, we score some runs and everything is running smoothly. Then everybody starts swinging at the first pitch. The pitcher throws around 8 pitches an inning, settles in and we don't score another run the rest of the game. Frustrating.

Quote:
I don't have a problem with Ned for the most part, but his handling of Corey Hart baffles me.

Exactly, that whole thing frusturates me beyond belief. The kid has done nothing but hit and yet he is still lucky to get 3 at-bats per week.

This is directed at the people complaining about pitching on the bullpen session day -

You guys realize that Bush has melted down at other times this season? It's not like this is an isolated incident. He has good games and bad games.

Do people here really, truly, in their heart of hearts believe that 18 pitches in a game, on the day of a side session, has anything to do with today? Really?

I realize starting pitchers have a frail routine that everyone follows as if it were gospel, and I agree that the decision to bring Bush into the SF game was curious, compounded by the eventual loss.

But come now. Ned Yost can be accused of managerial shortcomings from time to time, but given the constraints on his bullpen, the lack of reliability, and the reality that it was Bush's day to throw anyway hardly makes this a decision to chide.

Dave Bush is not an ace starter. He's been quite good lately, but he's going to give up longballs and he's going to give up hits. He throws a lot of hittable pitches. Add a home plate umpire that has a tight zone, a hitter's park, a very good hitting team, and simply being off his game and voila.

I refuse to believe 18 pitches on Wednesday has a shred of relevance.

Archived