Brewer Fanatic

Sept. 1st call-ups? Latest: Ten Up including Gamel, Salome and Escobar (reply #127ish and after); Capuano to 60-day DL, Gardner DFA'd

LouisEly

areacodes: Al, your post is #193 (at least for me) and it is post #190 that says it is official that Escobar has been called up.

dadofandrew: Yeah, it was a problem once before today, as well. i think the mods see posts that have been deleted, and we do not, hence, the issue.

Mods don't see deleted posts, but we do see hidden posts. There are exactly three hidden posts in this thread.

Post numbering weirdness has been happening since the push on August 19th or so, and there are bugs filed on the issue. I'll make sure that Yuku staff takes a look at this thread.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JJHardy7 wrote:

if you go to some AA or AAA games in August you can hear a lot of chatter -- these guys want to be in the bigs and stay in the bigs.

Of course they want to be in the big leagues. That's the whole point of playing in the minors. I would think very few players play in the minors just for fun.

In the Brewers case, I don't think there are many jobs to win for next year. Third base and that's about it. I think most will be playing for a chance at an injury replacement for next year or to push the front office to make room with a move. Of course you could also play well next year to be an injury replacement.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I don't know how much minor league baseball you've been around, but in reality these call-ups want to come and win a job for next year. It is exactly why veterans aren't fans of it. Imagine where you work that for one month there will be more people hired in your position just for a 'call-up'.

Of course, but the notion that having these guys up is enough to make a discernable impact on the concentration level of veteran professional athletes is laughable to me. If the impact isn't enough that there's something showing in the on-field play, what's the point for Kruk claiming the call-ups are 'disruptive'? Equating this to a normal workplace doesn't work for me, since this is the way the job works. It happens every season, and each veteran was likely once upon a time, a September call-up.

Kruk specifically 'broke it down' to explain how the disruptions happen on teams contending, and how they affect teams out of contention, too. Just an odd bit to me. Sure, I can see how a scrubby vet that has a placeholding job could be unsettled, but to say that someone like Carlos Delgado (just my random example) is going to get all out of rhythym when the Mets call up those benchwarmers is completely laughable imo.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Of course, but the notion that having these guys up is enough to make a discernable impact on the concentration level of veteran professional athletes is laughable to me. If the impact isn't enough that there's something showing in the on-field play, what's the point for Kruk claiming the call-ups are 'disruptive'? Equating this to a normal workplace doesn't work for me, since this is the way the job works. It happens every season, and each veteran was likely once upon a time, a September call-up.

Kruk specifically 'broke it down' to explain how the disruptions happen on teams contending, and how they affect teams out of contention, too. Just an odd bit to me. Sure, I can see how a scrubby vet that has a placeholding job could be unsettled, but to say that someone like Carlos Delgado (just my random example) is going to get all out of rhythym when the Mets call up those benchwarmers is completely laughable imo.

I still agree with Kruk. Just read some threads here on where to put JJ in regards to Gamel and Escobar. Weeks, JJ, and Hall would all be worried. Baseball players are human and I think that gets missed a lot. Trust me players do not want to get sent down to Nashville and they want to stay in the bigs and recently they want to stay in Milwaukee. Players know what is going on and I can guarantee JJ Hardy knows who Escobar is and Escobar will determine his future with the team.

Your example of Delgado actually is perfect. The Brewers really don't have a guy like that (maybe Kendall?), but a guy like Delgado knows his end is soon and some hotshot coming up might be a distraction. We can look at numbers all day long, but this is still a game and there is a very personal level involved. Think about it..if you're JJ, Weeks, or Hall you are darn well watching to see what Gamel or Escobar can do. There is pride in baseball.

I'm impressed with the Brewers Minor League system and the scouting department. In reviewing the current 40-42 man roster, you have Yo, Angel Salome, Mat Gamel, Alcides Escobar all with birthdates of 1985 or 1986. That is one talented group of developed, non-collegiate studs! I got to watch all these guys pass through Charleston, WV on their way to Milwaukee, and I hope someone up there can arrange for us to keep the low A Brewer pipeline here....I know baseball won't be as entertaining for me and my family without them!

I stand corrected on Gamel...but we're still talking young and major league ready!

Your example of Delgado actually is perfect. The Brewers really don't have a guy like that (maybe Kendall?), but a guy like Delgado knows his end is soon and some hotshot coming up might be a distraction.

If you think Delgado is sweating any call-up right now, we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If you think Delgado is sweating any call-up right now, we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

I don't know if he's sweating it, but an old 1B and high priced first baseman would be replaceable IMO. The contract is guaranteed, but his job isn't.

John Kruk just got done 'arguing' the point on BBTN that, "September call-ups disrupt veterans"

Obviously Kruk knows what he's talking about. The Brewers are 0-3 since we had our September callups.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

[/blue]

I think you meant to put that in blue, but I absolutely agree to some extent. This team was motoring along pretty good, then all of sudden you've now got a bunch of crowding everywhere. 10 extra bodies in the clubhouse, the team kitchen, 7 more bodies to take BP time away, etc. I think the play of the Astros had to do more with the losing streak, but you have to wonder if extra bodies makes for a bit of an unneccessary distraction.

By: Greg Grabianowski, Sports Editor
09/04/2008

Brad Nelson finally got the call he has been patiently waiting for. He is going to the major leagues. The 2001 Bishop Garrigan graduate was called up by the Milwaukee Brewers team as the club expanded its roster to 40 players on Monday, Sept. 1.

"It is a dream come true for me," said Nelson in an interview on Sunday night from Milwaukee. "Now, it's not just a dream, its reality. I am definitely excited and it will be a new and exciting experience for me.

"It's pretty amazing. I can't really put into words. It feels great. It is something I've dreamt about since I was a little kid and now I'm finally living it."

Nelson made his debut Monday in the Brewers 4-2 loss to the Mets in Milwaukee as the team started a 10-game home stand. He pinch-hit for pitcher Guillermo Mota in the ninth inning and grounded out to shortstop on the first pitch.

Brad will wear No. 40 for the club. He played in front of 41,476 fans on Monday, which is seven times larger than the population of Algona. The Brewers lead the National League wild card race by 5.5 games with 25 games remaining.

Nelson was a fourth round draft choice by the Brewers in 2001. He hit .286 for the Triple AAA Nashville Sounds this year with 18 home runs, 36 doubles and 78 RBI's. The left-handed player will probably be a pinch-hitter against right-hander pitchers in the month of September for the Brewers.

"It will be a memorable time for me," said Nelson. "I get a chance to rejoins some of my old teammates in a pennant race and it is a great feeling. Knowing and playing with them before will make the transition a little easier. It seems like old times. I want to thank all people in Algona for their support in my journey to get this far. It really helps a lot to have good people behind you."

http://images.zwire.com/local/Z/Zwire2700/zwire/images/2008/09/story/Brad-Nelson_story.gif

• 2 months later...
Capuano was re-instated at the very end of October, according to MLB's transactions page. By then, so many players had been removed from the 40-man via filing for free agency, (the 40-man roster is at 30 now), that the Capuano activation became a non-issue in that regard.

if memory serves correctly, the 40-man roster was full on the last day of the regular season.

i count only 40 players here: http://milwaukee.brewers....roster_40man.jsp?c_id=mil

note that roster above includes the reinstated chris capuano.

was someone else bumped, or was the roster only at 39 on the last day of the regular season?

Archived