Brewer Fanatic

Sept. 1st call-ups? Latest: Ten Up including Gamel, Salome and Escobar (reply #127ish and after); Capuano to 60-day DL, Gardner DFA'd

LouisEly

A day on the active roster is a day of service time. It really is that simple. Don't think so hard about it.

Rookie status can get a little more sticky because there are more variables. Basically, rookie status is lost at threshholds of ABs and IPs.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(bumped up font size in quote --1992)

Thanks Casey.

Maybe the notion comes from the fact that September days of service don't count against rookie status. (September at bats and innings pitched count against rookie status, however.)

That's my guess, but then again kramnoj makes a good point that the part I quoted only deals with 25-man status.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I guess I am really wondering other then the expierence why all these guys come up.

Gord Ash was on 540 the last week or two and said that they didn't want the Brewers getting into a situation where they ran out of players because they didn't bring up enough players. The Brewers don't want to miss the playoffs by one game because they only brought up a few players when the rules will allow you to have 40.

Yeah, I've said this about three times in this thread. It is to avoid getting caught short-handed in an extra-inning game, as well as pinch-running and additional double-switch opportunities. Also, like in today's game, if it is a blowout they can give the starters an extra inning or two of rest.

1992casey wrote:

One of these years, we should e-mail someone in the know and find this out once and for all. I'll have to dig through old e-mails; I think I might have an address for a Brewer honcho that could probably help us out.

On that note, I am wondering if the FAQ on free agent time has been updated on this board. I know Casey has corrected me at least once on how service time in the minors counts towards free agency and options.(still a little confused whether it is 3 full years or 3 years after being drafted) Maybe service time for September callups should be included as well.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

John Kruk just got done 'arguing' the point on BBTN that, "September call-ups disrupt veterans"

You think you've heard every lame, weak, non-sensical thing that crap network can throw at you...

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I thought I'd send Tom Haudricourt an email asking what he knew. I certainly wouldn't consider him a rules expert, but I thought it would be interesting to see what his response would be. To my shock, he already answered me! I sent it at 1:50 today and he answered at 2:48 (CT). Anyway, he is another of those who doesn't think September callups get service time. I'll be curious if he pursues this in the next couple of days. He just put up a blog about 10 players getting called up and I didn't see the issue addressed there.

I think that most people that have posted have found that the service time does count. At least from what I have read here. It really doesn't matter in the overall as the only thing it might affect is super 2 status and then only if a player is called up before June.

I blame Wang.

Of course they have more of an impact than that. Say Gamel comes up to begin next year and has to be sent down after not hitting for a month. Well you just lost a year of service because you had him sit on the bench in September.

September service time definitely counts. For instance, as you can see here, Vinny Rottino has 61 days of service time, yet has never played in the Majors before 9/1.

Also, are we assuming that Gallardo and Capuano were shifted to the 60-day DL to make room for Gamel and Salome?

as the only thing it might affect is super 2 status and then only if a player is called up before June.

That's the common experience, but that's not the actual criteria. From the MLBPA website: http://mlbplayers.mlb.com.../info/faq.jsp#arbitration

"A player with at least two but less than three years of Major League service shall be eligible for salary arbitration if he has accumulated at least 86 days of service during the immediately preceding season and he ranks in the top 17 percent in total service in the class of Players who have at least two but less than three years of Major League service, however accumulated, but with at least 86 days of service accumulated during the immediately preceding season."

Of course they have more of an impact than that. Say Gamel comes up to begin next year and has to be sent down after not hitting for a month. Well you just lost a year of service because you had him sit on the bench in September.

I'm not sure I follow. A player has to have 6 full years of service time at the end of a season to be a FA. In the case you are describing, Gamel enters 2010 with only two months of service and still has to play 6 full years to get FA. Unless you meant something else, the Brewers only loss in your scenario is that Gamel disappoints them in 2009.

kramnoj wrote:

That's the common experience, but that's not the actual criteria.

I know the actual criteria, just that June seems to be around the general time when super 2 starts to go out. If a guy has service time you would have to wait that extra time like say into July instead of June.

You could easily(maybe not easily as the Liriano situation shows) leave him down a month plus to make his service time come up just short of a year. Crappy thing to do, yes, but overall the best way to keep the player cheap.

I blame Wang.

There are a number of ways the Brewers could accomplish the roster moves. Capuano and Branyan (assuming the comment about tearing the oblique is correct) to the 60-day DL would make sense. Outrighting Palmisano would also make sense.

I would have to think Gardner would be outrighted before Lou P...I have to believe Lou is still one of the top 30 C "prospects" in the game...though he's 3rd, 4th, or 5th on the Crew, depending on whether you feel Vinny is too old to be a prospect, or if Lawrie should count as a C.

This is like Christmas in September... unfortunately I'm going to have to DVR most every game so I can catch the kids making their various appearances.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I think the Brewers have brought up a lot of guys is that they can experience the atmosphere as much as anything else. Playing time figures to be very limited until the playoffs are secured. Even then until the Cubs lock the division title, I don't expect to see much of the kids. But that last weekend assuming everything is decided we could see some very interesting lineups.

I think the Brewers have brought up a lot of guys is that they can experience the atmosphere as much as anything else. Playing time figures to be very limited until the playoffs are secured. Even then until the Cubs lock the division title, I don't expect to see much of the kids. But that last weekend assuming everything is decided we could see some very interesting lineups.

I agree that the experience is a good thing. When the Brewers were crappy they'd bring up guys like Weeks a few years early just to have them get the experience. I think now it's about experiencing playoff type baseball.

I do get the feeling that Gamel is going to see some starts at 3B. I don't think it makes sense of his AAA call-up unless he's going to actually be playing.

John Kruk just got done 'arguing' the point on BBTN that, "September call-ups disrupt veterans"

You think you've heard every lame, weak, non-sensical thing that crap network can throw at you...

I don't know how much minor league baseball you've been around, but in reality these call-ups want to come and win a job for next year. It is exactly why veterans aren't fans of it. Imagine where you work that for one month there will be more people hired in your position just for a 'call-up'. Most of these guys aren't going to play a ton, but a guy like Escobar isn't going to Milwaukee thinking JJ is there so I'm just here for 'experience'. He's going there to show he belongs. Kruk IMO was dead-on and if you go to some AA or AAA games in August you can hear a lot of chatter -- these guys want to be in the bigs and stay in the bigs. As a fan, it's easy to say well it's nice for them to be around the game, but that's the difference between a player and a fan.

Archived