Brewer Fanatic

Sept. 1st call-ups? Latest: Ten Up including Gamel, Salome and Escobar (reply #127ish and after); Capuano to 60-day DL, Gardner DFA'd

LouisEly
it might not hurt to call up Salome because he can hear from Yost and Simmons--along with Kendall--what he needs to work on
I was saving this for another thread, but with Salome at AA and Palmisano injured this year it is likely that next year will be the same catching situation (Kendall/Rivera), and thus 2010 would have both catchers (Salome and Palmisano at this point) as rookies, and I don't like that. I would be all in favor of Salome making the jump next year as the #2 catcher behind Kendall so he can learn from him for a year (even if it means Salome only plays one out of every four or five games). I don't want to go into a season with the #1 catcher a rookie, and with Kendall's contract expiring after 2009 it appears that may be the case.

Bring Salome up and have him watch Kendall and sit between Yost and Simmons on the bench. There is no downside to that.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RHP Tim Dillard, LHP Mitch Stetter, RHP Mark DiFelice, UT Joe Dillon, C Vinny Rottino, 3B Mat Gamel, OF Tony Gwynn and 1B/OF Brad Nelson

Mat Gamel will need to be added to the 40-man roster, and in turn, look for the formal addition of Michael Brantley to the Arizona Fall league team to take Gamel's place.

Great news for Michael! Congrats to all involved here.

Let the Gamel era begin... for now. This is great news. Not only is it neat in a trivial sort of way, but it says that the organization feels Gamel can produce now against MLB pitching. I'm very excited... just hope that defense isn't as bad as we fear.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Congratulations to Angel for his September call up. I would like to be the first one to publicly congratulate him. angel you deserve it, and congrats on the batting title as well. You Brewer fans will get a treat and I hope he's half as good as I promised, with that he will be an Al-Star. I just hope he gets to see some action, contributes and stays. Good job kid!!! "Coach"

I'm a little surprised that Bateman isn't going to be called up, but maybe it's a 40-man thing.

Me too. Everything I heard from the team and players indicated he'd be up. I have a feeling Gamel, Salome, and Escobar may have changed that logic since a few weeks ago the thought was to not call any of them up. There still is time though for them to call him up and I hope they do. I just don't get the feeling now that it's going to happen, but much stranger things have happened.

I guess I was under the impression that a team in a postseason hunt didn't load up their bench, not that I am against it. I thought we would see Stetter and DiFelice for the pen and Dillon and Rottino for the bench. I guess I am really wondering other then the expierence why all these guys come up. Ned has shown that he is going to play who he is going to play and the guys who are going to be on the possible playoff roster need to stay fresh.

We saw many PR's used last year, it becomes more of a strategical session, as it's nothing to use a PH, then a PR, then a defensive sub for one move...during the season, you're almost out of players if you do that.

Also, we may see more of a combo like Riske/Stetter/Mota to get through a R/L/R group of hitters in the 7th.

Thanks Toby.

I guess I am really wondering other then the expierence why all these guys come up.

Gord Ash was on 540 the last week or two and said that they didn't want the Brewers getting into a situation where they ran out of players because they didn't bring up enough players. The Brewers don't want to miss the playoffs by one game because they only brought up a few players when the rules will allow you to have 40. Basically the Brewers are buying insurance that will cost them over half a million, but they want to make sure they buy enough insurance.

He also mentioned that he is against the September callup rule. thinks it's silly that baseball plays its last month with different rules than the rest of the year. I thought that was interesting. What's the story behind the rule anyways? I guess I should look it up.

Wow - those clocks are going to start ticking on those players right way.

The Brewers were not kidding when they said they were "going for it".

Worst case, Gamel and Salome provide better PH opportunities than Counsell and Nix. I doubt Escobar would play much - as his bat isn't quite as advanced as Salome and Gamel - but he is great insurance in case something happens to Hardy.

Escobar starting at SS >> Counsell starting at SS.

I am giddy about Gamel.

Assuming we would bring Gamel and Escobar up the middle of next year like we did Braun how much shorter will we have them locked in by bringing them up right now? 1 year?

Also, assuming Salome wouldn't be starting until 2010, how much shorter will we have him locked in by bringing him up now? 1 or 2 years?

Assuming we would bring Gamel and Escobar up the middle of next year like we did Braun how much shorter will we have them locked in by bringing them up right now? 1 year?

Also, assuming Salome wouldn't be starting until 2010, how much shorter will we have him locked in by bringing him up now? 1 or 2 years?

Bringing up a player for a month and then bringing up a player the next season two months in doesn't cost the team a FA year. If anything, they are basically gaining something close to a full year, because a player has to end a season with 6 full years of service time to be eligible for FA. It would cost them money in Super 2 status, but that's a couple years down the road.

I'm not sure we should assume that Escobar will be brought up before September next year (except maybe to cover an injury). He would only be brought up to play, and as long as Hardy starts the year at SS and is healthy, I don't see the Brewers changing anything there in mid-season. Gamel, I could see being called up if the team is relatively happy with whoever they have at 3B and want Gamel to work on defense outside the major league spotlight.

If Salome get's a month call up this year, next year and starts the year at catcher in 2010, it won't decrease his time with the Brewers, because as said above, a player needs 6 full years to be a FA.

I guess I was under the impression that a team in a postseason hunt didn't load up their bench, not that I am against it.

I'd think because they're in a race makes in more likely to bring guys up. The last thing you'd want to have happen would be to lose an 18 inning game in mid/late September because you had to have Jeff Suppan hit in the top of the 18th with the bases loaded instead of Brad Nelson. Or more importantly, in the same scenario, blowing through your entire bullpen the day before the series with the Phillies or Cubs.

I guess I was under the impression that a team in a postseason hunt didn't load up their bench, not that I am against it.

The tougher call comes when the team's minor league affiliate happens to be in its league's playoffs. While the major league team's needs are definitely more important, it doesn't want to screw over the minor league team, either.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

In terms of service time, my understanding is that being called up after Sept 1st counts as service time for Union purposes (ie, retirement pension plan) but for salary arbitration purposes the entire month counts for 1 day.

It's my understanding that september callups do not start arby clocks...that's still true, right?

The clock runs... I think it counts the same as any other service time.

From Cot's Baseball Contracts' Transactions Glossary:

"A player earns Major League service time for each day he spends on the active (25-man) roster or on the Major League 15-day or 60-day disabled lists. A player also continues to earn service time while serving any disciplinary suspension or serving in the military.

Under the CBA, 1 year of service is defined as 172 days. A player may earn up to 172 days of Major League service during a championship season (regular season), which generally lasts 183 calendar days. If a player is sent to the minor leagues on optional assignment for a total of 20 days or less during a season, he receives service time for the entire season."

The notion that Sept. callups don't burn service time is a myth, as best I can tell.

(bumped up font size in quote --1992)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The notion that Sept. callups don't burn service time is a myth, as best I can tell.

I've been up and down the CBA, and I find no mention of September callup time not burning service time. Maybe the notion comes from the fact that September days of service don't count against rookie status. (September at bats and innings pitched count against rookie status, however.)

One of these years, we should e-mail someone in the know and find this out once and for all. I'll have to dig through old e-mails; I think I might have an address for a Brewer honcho that could probably help us out.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

TLB, the selected portion that you are quoting doesn't mention people called up in September on the 40 man roster. It says they earn service time while on the active 25 man roster. It may be a myth that September callups don't get service time, but that portion doesn't really address it.

I looked in the CBA to see what I find. Here is the relevant portion from page 94 of the CBA:

"(1) One full day of Major League service will be credited for each day of the championship season a Player is on a Major League Club's Active List. A total of 172 days of Major League credited service will constitute one full year of credited service. A Player may not be credited with more than one year of credited service, 172 days, in one championship season. Major League service will be computed commencing with the date of the first regularly scheduled championship season game, through and including the date of the last regularly scheduled championship season game. This rule shall apply uniformly to all Players and all Clubs notwithstanding differences in a particular Club's schedule."

The only possible ambiguity is what the "Active List" means. It really isn't defined anywhere else that I saw.

Archived