Brewer Fanatic

Sept. 1st call-ups? Latest: Ten Up including Gamel, Salome and Escobar (reply #127ish and after); Capuano to 60-day DL, Gardner DFA'd

LouisEly
I would hope Branyan would be called back too, which makes 34 guys on the roster. 35 if Stocker is called up as well. I guess it would be unlikely to see Salome get the nod considering that everybody up gets like $50,000, which can add up. I think that would be a shame, I'd like to see him get rewarded for his .974 OPS in AA. Anyway, among that group of 10 probable adds, only Nelson and Gamel will be making their ML debuts, so I echo Mass's special congratulations to them for breaking through.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gamel is really a surprise to me since Doug said they wouldn't call anyone up just to sit on the bench.

But I am thrilled to see him get his shot. Here is hoping that Doug has no intentions of him sitting on the bench.

(Honestly, he should be able to match Counsell's production quite easily)

I'm surprised not see Hernan Iribarren, who is similar to Gwynn, but can play 2B as well.
Man, all my excitement about Gamel and I forgot about Iribarren.

Very odd he didn't receive a call as Durham has been nursing an injury, he can play OF, and he runs about as well as Gwynn.

But, choosing between Gamel and Hernan - I think Gamel certainly has a better chance of helping the club.

We are really going to need these bullpen guys. Besides Torres, our bullpen is really bad. Please come soon, Sept 1st!

As I pointed out elsewhere, the bullpen is 6th in ERA, 3rd or 4th if you remove Turnbow's 6 innings. None of these callups will come very close to pressure situations, though I s'pose Stetter might face a lefty or two.

There's a bit of discussion of the Branyan injury in the 3B thread. The problem is that we're relying on a Trenni report that several of us saw but none of us really remember in detail. The bottom line, however, is that it isn't good.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Speaking of injured guys, what's the word with Yovani? If he gets a look (and Russ comes back), that's 36 guys. I wonder if any team has ever used the entire 40 man in September? I don't think any have recently.

TH on jsonline just reported that the players that will be called up will report to Milwaukee on Sunday since there closing games at New Orleans has been cancelled due to the coming hurricane.

I mentioned it in the Link Report as well, but Jim Powell mentioned the Kremblas interview in the seventh inning of tonight's game when he was talking about the potential callups. He gave credit to Brewerfan for the link.

Thanks for the update jeffh- you might want to check your spelling on Salome and Escobar http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

I know it's just announcer speculation; I could definitely see Escobar coming up because he's already on the 40-man. I don't think Salome would play at all if he were to be called up, we barely use 2 catchers here and unless they want another pinch-hitter, plus they'd have to do some 40-man shuffling as Gamel's going to take up the only spot available right now.

When Bill Hall first came up for a September, they all but admitted he wasn't big-league ready (and his play reinforced that!). But they said they wanted Hall to learn for another month of play from the big league coaches and have him be in a big league environment. At this point I don't even recall if that was Melvin at that time or still Dean Taylor.

Anyway, while the team's circumstances are vastly different now, I could see similar logic for bringing up Salome if they were to do so. Simmons, Kendall, & Yost there to show/teach/pass on wisdom about being a major league catcher should be very positive (the name order was intentional, btw). Heck, just learning a few tricks from Rivera about being productive at the plate in extremely limited playing time could be a very positive thing since he likely wouldn't crack the Opening Day roster (in whatever spring that may eventually happen) as the starting catcher.

Archived