Brewer Fanatic

Sept. 1st call-ups? Latest: Ten Up including Gamel, Salome and Escobar (reply #127ish and after); Capuano to 60-day DL, Gardner DFA'd

LouisEly

I read Gord's comment to mean Stocker, but Adam did not. I feel Mel makes more sense than yet another LHP of dubious merit.

Parra may well end up in the 'pen if they reach the postseason. I'd trust him in the 7th inning versus a tough lefty bat...the others not so much.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Ash said there would be at least one surprise, a la Stocker, a Minor League veteran who was promoted all the way from Double-A Huntsville last September mostly to provide speed off the bench."

They mention some possibilities, and my dark horse all along has been a third lefty, be it Narron, Choate, or Ramirez. Ramirez has had a decent season. There are rumors about Bateman, but I'm sticking to a third lefty in the pen to be a LOOGY. Could also be referring to Stocker again, as I find it hard to believe that he would go to Brevard if there wasn't a wink and a nudge about a September callup if he took one for the organization.

Everything I've heard indicates it's Bateman unless something goes differently (ie Braun is re-injured, others get hurt, etc). I think it's assumed that Stocker is a lock to come up -- again unless something changes in the next week or so.

I'd pretty disappointed if he didn't get callup. I know Ned doesn't like to use PRs, but I don't want it to go down like this:

- Cubs & Brewers tied for 1st last game of the season, 3-3 in the 9th,

- Prince draws a walk, nobody out, Hart up next

- Yost looks at his bench.. Dillon, Kapler, Durham, and Counsell

- No reason to keep Prince in the rest of the game at this point..just need to bring Prince home

I think you have to have a pinch runner that can bring in that run.

also, I really want to see Escobar.. I think he can help this team now.

I wouldn't be suprised if Salame got the call. He is the Clubs hottest minor league bat right now, and would an outstanding PH option. As a catcher who lacks instinct, he could benefit greatly from sitting next to Ted Simmons for 30 days. He's in his 5th pro season, so he'll have to be added to the 40 in he offseason. I think the absolute most important thing the team needs to do with him is develop his defense in any way possible, and adding 30 days to his service time is a fair tradeoff if this helps make him a tollerable MLB defender.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

If this coach is so good why is he paying for his seats just like you are? What a knob! Gamel and Escobar will get their chance but in all likelihood will not be added to the call up roster. Gamel just went 0-4 with 4 k's in his debut at Triple A. BIG jump from AA to AAA let alone AA to Major Leagues.

The talent level at AA is generally regarded as being noticeably better than AAA. Double-A is where the top developed prospects are; Triple-A is where guys get stashed (Branyan, for example; or a young guy that's being held down for super-two status -- Braun, Gallardo).
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Yeah

I don't see how Gamel deserves a call-up. I think you're sending the wrong message to the rest of the system if you do call Gamel up. In fact, I'm disappointed he got the promotion. If you can't hit AA pitchers consistently then I say stay there until you can. He had a great half season--okay, so what?

The Brewers are trying to turn Lawrie into a catcher, which may take a little time. We can't afford to start burning his options. Not to mention, who knows what he'd add/how he'd hit. If he had signed a major league deal after the draft, there would have been a very, very outside chance. As it is... no.

I'm hoping for Stetter and Erasmo Ramirez. Stocker seems like a no-doubter, and I think they'll call up Bateman too. Of course there's a limit on how many guys they can add to the 40-man, so it may come down to Ramirez or Bateman.

Would Brad Nelson seem like a no-brainer at this point? He has great numbers in Nashville this year and I think you have to finally give this kid a shot after four years in Nashville.

Finally give him a shot? He has had a shot two years running and totally tanked it both times. I mean I agree, the Rangers are in a situation where they have nothing to lose but so far his MO has pretty much been AAAA.

I believe Nelson makes a lot of sense. Nix really isn't doing much I know its early but I believe Nelson will be a better option in September than Nix will be as a pinch hitter. But I don't see Nelson getting enough AB's for it to be worth it though.

Finally give him a shot? He has had a shot two years running and totally tanked it both times. I mean I agree, the Rangers are in a situation where they have nothing to lose but so far his MO has pretty much been AAAA.
He would be a pinch hitter and maybe a late defensive replacement for Prince. How much more would you want for him being a September call up. All he does is fill the bench and he is left handed I see no reason why being a AAAA type of player has any bearing on if he gets called up or not.

Yeah, I worded it wrong. I agree, he hasn't exactly done anthing the last couple of years in Nashville to warrant a call-up. I'm just saying he finally has good numbers this year and why not call him up and see what he can do.

Would Brad Nelson seem like a no-brainer at this point? He has great numbers in Nashville this year and I think you have to finally give this kid a shot after four years in Nashville.

It looks like Ennder read Nelson Cruz rather than Brad Nelson.

How about 28 yr. old Joe Bateman? Check out his stats; 2.23 ERA/8.96 K/9/3.32 K/BB/.575 OPS/.216 BA/1.08 WHIP.

Not bad. I have no idea who it is or what his history is but he's got some of the best overall numbers at Nashville for relievers.

I posted a few pages earlier he's likely going to get a call up. He actually may have even been told this a few weeks back.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

In this audio interview while in New Orleans, Nashville Manager Frank Kremblas reveals the names of eight Sounds who have been told they will be called up September 1st -- there could be others from lower in the chain, including outfielder / speedster Mel Stocker, now playing in high-A. Kremblas only discusses the Sounds players here. I believe that other than this audio link on the Sounds site, we're the first source to bring this to your attention -- yay for us http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif. More importantly, here's hoping each player contributes even a tad down the stretch, even to rest players in perhaps meaningless games in the final week. Special congrats to Mat Gamel and in particular longtme farmhand Brad Nelson.

RHP Tim Dillard, LHP Mitch Stetter, RHP Mark DiFelice, UT Joe Dillon, C Vinny Rottino, 3B Mat Gamel, OF Tony Gwynn and 1B/OF Brad Nelson

Mat Gamel will need to be added to the 40-man roster, and in turn, look for the formal addition of Michael Brantley to the Arizona Fall league team to take Gamel's place.

Archived