Brewer Fanatic

Sept. 1st call-ups? Latest: Ten Up including Gamel, Salome and Escobar (reply #127ish and after); Capuano to 60-day DL, Gardner DFA'd

LouisEly
  • Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you're right on this. I guess I've heard enough times that "it doesn't matter and won't make a difference" that I thought the time didn't apply at all.

If you plan on calling up a player to start the season in 2009 and expect them to be in the majors for the next 6 years, bringing them up in September won't matter at all. If you plan on doing the Rays-Longoria thing (or what some people claim the Brewers did with Braun) and bring them up 2 months into the season to avoid Super-2 status, then it would have an impact.

what is needed is some form of 'official rules' type of article or link. I don't know why MLB isn't more fan-friendly when it comes to access to transactions rules. In general they're tough to locate.

Cot's has the best transaction glossary that I've seen: http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2003/01/transactions-glossary.html It includes a link to the current CBA, for anyone who wants direct access to the info, but I think Cot's has a good summary of what most people would want to know.

Pena hasn't earned it period.
He still has a 95 mph fastball though, and he could gain some valuable experience in low leverage situations for the Big League Club. I am in favor of Pena getting the call on Sept 1st.

Until Pena has success against AAA hitters, there's no reason he should take those innings away from Dillard, DiFelice or even Mota. There just aren't enough "low leverage" situations to go around with a 15 or 16 man staff in a pennant race.

JohnBriggs12 wrote:

There just aren't enough "low leverage" situations to go around with a 15 or 16 man staff in a pennant race.

There are barely enough low leverage situations for the relievers we have now.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The arbitration clock only starts when a player is on the 25 man roster. Players only have to be on the 40 man to play in September. Once a player is on the 40 man roster his "options" clock is started in most cases. A player runs out of options after any part of 3 seasons on the 40 man roster. During those 3 seasons he can be transferred on and off the 25 man roster, pretty much at will. After he's out of options he'd have to clear waivers to be sent to the minors. So it doesn't make sense to move a player to the 40 man roster just play in September.

Brantley, Escobar, Salome, Gamel, Green, Jeffress

There's a reason I'm not a GM.

the 40-man roster is currently full. five of those six players are not currently on the 40-man roster.

a roster spot could be opened up by transferring chris capuano to the 60-day disabled list, but that spot seems to be held for jay gibbons.

of course, the brewers could have kept a roster spot open by recalling tony gwynn, jr. instead of purchasing the contract of laynce nix . . .

yes . . . there is a reason you're not a gm.

Capuano could go 60-man, and Richie Gardner could be DFA'd/outrighted. That could clear up two spots. So it's two spots for two of Gibbons, Stocker, and Bateman (I'll add a 4th dark horse - Narron). Methinks there was a handshake agreement involved with Stocker going from AAA to A+, so he is the horse I'm betting on to get any 40-man spots that open up.

Cost is not an issue. The incremental cost of having someone for a month compared to the sunk costs already incurred is minimal. $200K for a month compared to already having spent $100M? That's couch change. The embarrassment and ramifications of being caught short-handed in an extra-inning game dwarfs what the cost would be to have an extra player in the dugout.

Right now I'd say everyone on the 40 except Capuano, Escobar, Gardner, and Palmisano for sure, probably not Pena (need to send a message), and maybe Gallardo depending on how his rehab is going and if they want to risk it (could have him in the bullpen but not running bases). Add two of Gibbons/Stocker/Bateman, plus DiFelice, Dillard, Dillon, TGJ, Irribarren (because he is LH), Nelson, Rottino, and Stetter.

I don't see both Iribarren and Nelson, as both would just be used as PH's (maybe PR in Hernan's case). I certainly don't see both Nelson and Gibbons.

I agree on Stocker, he can run and play defense just as well in BC as he can anywhere else.

There's no reason to DFA Gardner, they can just outright him to AAA, I assume.

i'd add brad nelson for sure.

1. it's a chance to showcase a little of his talent to other teams for offseason trade considerations.

2. he's been on the 40-man roster twice. when the brewers outrighted him the first time, he could've elected free agency. yet he chose to remain with the organization that drafted him. he ended up performing pretty well last year at triple-a and again pretty well this year. i brought up mike rivera's similar situation at the end of spring training. he stuck with the organization after being outrighted (at least once, maybe twice?), and the brewers ultimately rewarded him by giving him a roster spot and the chance to occasionally play.

I'd like to see Lindsay Gulin get a sample paper cup of coffee, but he's not on the 40-man and this is entirely the wrong year to do it. Oh, well, he will hopefully have spring training next year to make his case.

I think Stetter will get called up, just to provide an extra lefty in the 'pen down the stretch. With how little the bullpen is being used right now, I don't know if they'd have any use for DiFelice or Dillard, especially if Gallardo really will be ready in September. Same thing with having a third catcher around, so that excludes Rottino--he'd be getting paid for riding the pine. With the 2nd base and left field situations being the way they are right now, I can see Iribarren getting the call (that may be sooner than 9/1, for that matter.) Dillon and Gwynn may get called up for the same reason.

I assume that both Branyan and Nix will be kept.

They won't worry about Rottino and the pitchers getting work, but they can get work if needed, it allows you to PR for Kendall, for example, or save your 'pen if up or down 11-0. It's a bit silly, but it changes to a strategy game, with minor advantages looking bigger.

Stetter won't be called up "just to have an extra lefty". He's been at times more effective than Shouse. I expect to see him quite often down the stretch.

I think Bateman is a real possibility despite what Haudricourt says. Bateman got quite a few innings in Arizona with the Brewers and he's been lights out his last 10 games:

12 2/3 IP, 2 H, Zero runs, 6 BB, 16 Ks.

A guy I taught with was our HS volleyball coach for a couple decades. He was adamant about the value of dressing a few more JV players than he would otherwise when in the playoffs. When it becomes "their turn" as the varsity players in future years, they've already experienced the atmosphere and maybe even played. It's one way you help develop leadership in younger players.

For that reason, I'd hope the Brewers aren't stingy about adding guys to the roster for September, especially with guys who are strong potential future Brewers and who might be able to contribute in the right situations. Cost isn't too heavy, and this would be a good year to do so in terms of revenue.

pitchers: DiFelice, Dillard, Stetter

position players: Rottino, Dillon, Branyan (re-activated if he hasn't been already), Gwynn, and maybe also Iribarren & Nelson

Seems to me Pena hasn't earned it at all yet and Escobar, well, you don't necessarily want to start his service time clock and you need to stop adding somewhere.

I's add Stocker, ewven if it meant not adding Gwynn. Stocker is the best basestealer in the organization, and he outhit Gwynn while in AAA this year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/a...mp;fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

"Ash said there would be at least one surprise, a la Stocker, a Minor League veteran who was promoted all the way from Double-A Huntsville last September mostly to provide speed off the bench."

They mention some possibilities, and my dark horse all along has been a third lefty, be it Narron, Choate, or Ramirez. Ramirez has had a decent season. There are rumors about Bateman, but I'm sticking to a third lefty in the pen to be a LOOGY. Could also be referring to Stocker again, as I find it hard to believe that he would go to Brevard if there wasn't a wink and a nudge about a September callup if he took one for the organization.

Archived