Brewer Fanatic

Sept. 1st call-ups? Latest: Ten Up including Gamel, Salome and Escobar (reply #127ish and after); Capuano to 60-day DL, Gardner DFA'd

LouisEly

CV is the only one with options. An extra bench guy, a 14th position player, is at best, a tiny advantage.

Also, if you have a pair of short starts in a row, your bullpen is shot. I don't think Ned feels like "punting" this time of year, having a SP hit and go back out down 6-0 in the 4th.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting point about the money... I was just thinking that. We've heard since the Sabathia deal how tight the budget supposedly is, so I guess we'll see if that plays a role or not. If we only see 3 or 4 callups, then I think it'd be safe to assume that money was a big factor.

Dumb question here, but if we call up Escobar or Gamel does that start their arby clock faster? I know in the past Weeks was called up in September, but I thought that was because he already had a 'major league' contract. Sorry to take the thread off-topic, but I'm curious as to how this works.

I think it's about time Brad Nelson gets called up. If he doesn't get called up in September, it's his last season in the Milwaukee organization. I'm not saying he's going to be a stud, but he's shown he deserves a shot in the bigs.

Stocker will be added if a 40 man spot is available. He and Dillon, Stetter, Dillard and maybe DiFelice and either Gwynn/Iribarren will be added on 9/1, with a few more when AAA ends, I would figure.

As Nashville is a lock not to make the playoffs, their season ends on 9/1. No need to wait for the playoffs to end.

I figure Gwynn, Iribarren, Nelson, Stetter, DiFelice, Rottino, and Dillard.

Outside chance: Bateman, E. Ramirez, and Stocker.

Edit: I forgot Dillon had been sent down. I would include him as a lock to be up on 9/2.

We have had too many arms in the bullpen certainly since Sabathia came on board

We have been fortunate to have had the #1 and #2 pitchers in the NL in complete games in Sabathia and Sheets. We have also been fortunate to have few if any early blowouts from Suppan or Bush the last month or so.

It never hurts to have a few extra arms or bats; you never want to get caught short in an extra inning game and/or have your bullpen taxed the next game. Like someone else said, just the experience and soaking it all in which might calm the nerves is valuable too.

Dumb question here, but if we call up Escobar or Gamel does that start their arby clock faster? I know in the past Weeks was called up in September, but I thought that was because he already had a 'major league' contract. Sorry to take the thread off-topic, but I'm curious as to how this works.

Arbitration clocks don't start but you have to A) have added them to the 40-man roster b) paid them major league minimum while they're here. In Weeks' case, he was brought up because that major league contract meant he already had to be added to the 40-man and begun using options.

Gamel would have to be added to the 40 man. Yes he'll have to be added at the end of the season anyway, but no reason to give you 40 man issues until you need too for a handful of ABs. Say Shouse gets a mild injury on Sep 1 and will be out for two weeks, you want that 40 man spot available to add a LOOGY.

Arbitration clocks don't start but you have to A) have added them to the 40-man roster b) paid them major league minimum while they're here.

I've looked a lot into this, and as far as I can tell, September callups absolutely start accruing MLB service days. I'm not 'calling you out', MSC, as I would genuinely love to finally see a definitive answer on September callups & service days... do you have proof to that claim? Every little bit of info I've ever found states that they start burning service time.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Gamel would have to be added to the 40 man. Yes he'll have to be added at the end of the season anyway, but no reason to give you 40 man issues until you need too for a handful of ABs. Say Shouse gets a mild injury on Sep 1 and will be out for two weeks, you want that 40 man spot available to add a LOOGY.
We still have Gallardo and Capuano who can be switched from the 15-day DL to the 60-day DL to clear up spots if necessary.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Pitching: Dillard, Stetter, and possibly Choate

Bench: Nelson, Gamel, and Escobar ( I wouldn't mind seeing Brantley either, but that won't happen)

Guys like Gwynn, Rottino, Iribarran, or Nix have no stick and I wouldn't want to see them at the plate when anything is on the line. They all stunk in the limited opportunities they've had. Try some of our young studs.

Jay Gibbons is another possible Sept call-up if he is crushing the ball.

Pretty sure I heard Jim Powell mention Gibbons on the broadcast today. Something about a nice LH bat off the bench.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I've looked a lot into this, and as far as I can tell, September callups absolutely start accruing MLB service days.

I think you're right on this. I guess I've heard enough times that "it doesn't matter and won't make a difference" that I thought the time didn't apply at all. If a player were called up in all three option years, he'd have 3 months of service time that may begin to make a difference (i.e. super two). Still, you have to be in the top 17% of players with 2>3 years to be super two. I'd guess that all of the Summer callups would beat out everyone called up in September a couple times.

I'd be pretty shocked to see any real prospects called up.

Dillard, Stetter, Gwynn and Gibbons seem pretty likely.

I highly doubt we would see Escobar, Salome, Jeffress, Green or even Gamel. (Gamel has been struggling in the past 2 months)

Guys like Gwynn, Rottino, Iribarran, or Nix have no stick and I wouldn't want to see them at the plate when anything is on the line.

No Offense but, did you happen to catch game #161 of the Brewers 2007 season? It seemed there was a ton on the line. The Brewers first winning season since 1992, keeping a bunch of friends out of the playoffs. I'm not a fan of TGJ and won't push for him to be added to the September roster, just saying I dont think he has completely stunk with anything on the line. He's had his moments.

Pena hasn't earned it period. Iribarren hasn't either and with Durham around, there's no real role for him.

They need another outfielder and it's between Gwynn and Gibbons but they won't bring both up.

Dillon figures to return.

Dillard's overall Nashville numbers should be rewarded. Stetter is a no-brainer. DiFelice is another likely guy.

They will need to add a 3rd catcher for flexibility, and they're likely to go with Rottino based on experience unless they pick up a David Ross off the scrapheap.

Best bets: Stetter, DiFelice, Dillard, Dillon, Gibbons, Rottino

Possible: Gwynn, Gamel, Escobar

Longshots: Nelson, Salome

I see no reason to bring any of the young guys up, especially with the clocks starting on them. I would only expect guys with MLB experience to get called up. Nix has been playing well enough to have possibly gotten a call up but with Gibbons now there his chances are slim.

It starts. The 'it doesn't start' argument is just incorrect assumption, but MLB sure as heck doesn't make it easy for fans to obtain that info. The way you found it, yoyo (sort of roundabout in a general/non-specific article), is the way I've seen it most. We know for certain that September callups burn service days... what is needed is some form of 'official rules' type of article or link. I don't know why MLB isn't more fan-friendly when it comes to access to transactions rules. In general they're tough to locate.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I don't think Gibbons and Gwynn are similar at all. I think Stocker might well come back, as I don't know why else they brought him back into the system. If he does not, Gwynn will fill that role.

I think we'll see most members of the 40 when AAA is done...Hernan might only get 3 AB's and PR a few times, but the only reason not to have him around is cost, and that ship has sailed.

Archived