Brewer Fanatic

? the 300,000 strong homestand !

TauPentaRei

OK. So the 400,000 strong homestand over 10 games turned out to be "pretty easy". No sweat - says the debut of CC and the YMCA game and the 2 weekends bookending it. Still, there was a 35K game in there as well as a 37K turn-out. Nevertheless, 407,870 spun the turnstiles.

I - like most of you, I assume - have been spending some quality time on the phone with the Brewers' ticket office.

ME: Do you have any tickets for Sunday?

HIM: Only scattered singles

ME: Hmmm, more of the same for Saturday then too, huh?

HIM: Standing room only

ME: How about 4 for Friday?

HIM: (laughing)

ME: okay, uhhh... guess I'll be calling you back a little later.

Well done schedule makers / marketers!... load up on the last place Astros for the welcome home weekend party crowd of verifiable, hospitalizable Brewer Fever Mania and brace yourself for 4 midweek battles against the Lovable Losers and the toll trollers associated with them. (Note: I will be paying tolls to get to Wednesday's game. Don't hold it against me.)

300,000 over 7 is an average of 42,857. And frankly, I don't see that as impossible anymore. Did the Treasury Department set up a printing press in Miller Park's basement?

Last night, there were a lot of empty seats and the game was announced as a sellout. Did places like StubHub buy them up but not sell them?

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Last night I had 2 extra tickets that I tried to get rid of in the ticket resale area. The place was packed, both with scalpers and regular people like me. I gave up around 6:30, so I don't know if it got any better, but there were LOTS of tickets to be had and not many buyers in sight.

Community Moderator
I think the Brewers and the JS article bragging about high ticket sales probably scared some people away. I always thought it was best not to say anything in order to not scare people away.

ME: How about 4 for Friday?

ME: okay, uhhh... guess I'll be calling you back a little later.

Dang. Sounds like it would be easier to get an 8:30 rez at Dorsia.

I was afraid of this. I've been to only 1 game this year after 14 last year, all with a group of at least 3. Hopefully I can get to at least one more this year.

I think the Brewers and the JS article bragging about high ticket sales probably scared some people away. I always thought it was best not to say anything in order to not scare people away.

But if the tickets were already sold, they would have been scared away from using tickets they already had. Unless ticket brokers purchased huge chunks of tickets for last night's game or something, because as casey said, there were whole sections in the Terrace last night that were empty.

Community Moderator

That leads me to suspect that the definition of a sellout is skewed. The crowd last night was 41,357 and the seating capacity is 41,900. I can believe that there were 500 single/obstructed view seats that went unsold.

If there were 1,000 open seats in the Terrace, maybe seating areas like the Gehl Club and Mercedes-Benz Field House are counted towards the attendance but not counted towards the seating capacity.

Gobias Industries wrote:

Dang. Sounds like it would be easier to get an 8:30 rez at Dorsia.

I was afraid of this. I've been to only 1 game this year after 14 last year, all with a group of at least 3. Hopefully I can get to at least one more this year.

Awesome! I bet you Paul Allen made it to the game just fine!

Part of me misses the days when I could walk right up on a game day and buy any amount/location of seats I want, but then I think logically about how much I'm enjoying the team winning and how I can't really afford to go to more than a handful of games this year due to "responsibilities" and it all subsides. I was able to recently buy a group of 14 tickets to the 8/18 game though. So there are still seats available for some games, just not weekend and/or Cubs games.

Like they always say: winning = less seats available, and I'll take that trade-off anytime.

the seating capacity is 41,900

I'm not sure if the Brewers even know what Miller Park's official seating capacity is. Even when it first opened, a team official said something to the effect of, "we're not really sure." Since then, the capacity has changed annually, and I'm willing to bet a 12 pack that web sites that list a number aren't likely to have been keeping up with the changes.

Because of differing numbers of complimentary tickets given out from game to game, the sellout threshold would vary daily. I'd bet that a game is announced as a sellout when there are no more single seats available.

On a side note, the Game Reports accompanying the Brewer articles in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel haven't had the season attendance right since sometime on the last homestand. Hardricourt's 2008-07-14 article listed the correct attendance as of that date, though, and that number would confirm ESPN's number as being right.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I was at the game tonight and man was the crowd electric after the Braun homer, that was as loud as i've heard Miller Park. Even after the game, there was lots of fans chanting stuff in the concourses. Baseball fever has finally taken hold of Milwaukee after so long being the largely ignored stepchild to Packer football.

Another thing i've noticed when going to games this year, just how much Brewers apparel the fans have on. In years past, i'd see nearly as much Packers or Badgers apparel on fans as Brewers stuff. Now when i go to games, i see Brewers apparel on fans everywhere.

I'm seeing more Brewers stuff on people just around Madison. When I bought a Hart all-star shirt at Kohl's Thursday night, the checker there said "ooh, Corey!" and added excitedly that she was going to Friday's game. Also, in the grocery store line today, the checker took note of my Brewers shirt, and asked when tonight's game started and who'd be pitching.

It's like the excitement from the beginning of 2007, only this feels better.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived