Brewer Fanatic

Will CC Run out of Gas?

It does worry me a little bit considering his poor performace in the play-offs last year. The most logical reason for that is that he wore down, in my opinion. I do agree that pitch count is more important than innings pitched, but I don't think that makes innings pitched irrelevant. His pitch counts have been fine, and it does seem like he knows how to pace himself through 100-110 pitches. But still, those pitches in the 9th are the most taxing because your body (not just your arm but your legs too) is fatigued.

I'm just worried about Yost getting carried away with his shiny new toy, I want some gas left in the tank for October so if we have chances where we're up comfortably I'd gladly go to the pen even if he CAN go deeper. Close games are another story but if were up 5+ I see no point in him pitching the 8th and 9th unless the pen is really hurting at the time.

In case it wasn't obvious, I laughed because I thought it was funny, not because I thought it was wrong.

Oh, I know, just piling onto the CC is Branyan-esque. And I think its awesome that he's the CG leader in the NL right now, given PT.

EDIT: Said acronym man.

He had a bad postseason (8.80 ERA in 15 IP). He was mediocre in two of his postseason starts:

Oct 4, 2007: 3 runs in 5 IP, 4 hits, 6 BB, 5 K

Oct 18, 2007: 4 runs in 6 IP, 10 hits, 2 BB, 6K

And he was awful in one start:

Oct 12, 2007: 8 runs in 4 IP, 7 hits, 5 BB, 3 K

Overall, in the playoffs his walks were way up from career norms, and he gave up way more flyballs (51% groundballs) than during the regular season (57% groundballs) resulting in surrendering more home runs(1 every 5 IP) than typical for him (1 every 12IP).

I guess there are a number of ways to read this data.

1. He was worn out. Lost command, couldn't locate, etc.

2. His three postseason starts were against the Yankees, @ Boston, and Boston. The 2007 Yankees led baseball in runs scored with 968 (the most by a Yankees team since 1937!). Boston was 4th in baseball with 867 runs scored. Good offenses=more runs scored than average

3. Some mumbo-jumbo about wilting under the intense spotlight of the playoffs.

4. Our good friend Small Sample Size.

5. Some combination of all/some of these factors.

In summation, I guess I'd pull him if the game is in hand (or if he is hitting 120+ pitches), but I'd roll the dice that his postseason last year was simply an anomaly, and not indicative of the beggining of a trend or pattern.

Probably all of those factors plus possibly pressing/overthrowing b/c it was the playoffs.

Archived