Brewer Fanatic

What to do with J.J. Hardy - he's putting together a great year

GB12

With Escobar working his way through the minor leagues this is a problem we will soon be faced with. Certainly not a bad problem to have, but it's something that will need to be resolved. So, what do you think we should do with this situation?

There seems to be a feeling that Escobar will definitely take over at shortstop, but do we really want to get rid of JJ? Last year he posted a .277 avg, .323 OBP, 26 HRs, and 80 RBI. This year he's on pace for a .294 avg, .361 OBP, 21 HRs, and 71 RBI. That's some good offensive production and he's solid defensively.

What do we do with him? Do we trade him off? Do we keep him at short and Escobar at 2nd, tradingWeeks? Would he accept a position change to third base?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

I would like to see Escobar play another year in the minors.

The issue with Hardy is that he is a fan favorite and it's going to be hard to let him go. He continues to improve as a hitter and has played great defense this year despite his limited range.

I'd like to see him move to 2B if Weeks doesn't pan out.

Give Hardy a long term contract and move him to 3B when Escobar is ready.
What about Gamel? he still may play 3B.
I still think Hardy to 2B is the best option. Hall isn't going anywhere.

(fixed code --1992)

I would prefer Escobar and Gamel both to get time at AAA next year. Hopefully full seasons too. If Melvin does dispense with Weeks, I'd rather get a solid (i.e. better than Weeks has been this year) vet on a one year contract to bridge that gap. Since someone mentioned the Gamel possibility at 1b. I'd also prefer the Brewers wait until the offseason of 2010 to trade away Prince if possible, but that's moreso that I'm a big fan of him. At least use him all the way through next year before having Gamel take over.

I prefer Gamel at first, Hardy at third, and Escobar at short stop more than this infield right now. I think Gamel has the right build to be a first basemen, and he couldn't be much worse than what Prince is right now.

But let's just worry about it when the time comes. I'm enjoying the ride right now http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

With LaPorta out of the equation, I think you need to consider putting Gamel in his role of taking Hart's spot to move Corey to CF. By all reports, unless Prince leaves and opens up first, OF will be the best option for Gamel.

I wish Weeks would make things easy on us by producing so we can look at an infield of Hardy Escobar, Weeks, and Fielder, which would likely mean a great left side, but it may come down to moving JJ to 2B and keeping Hall at 3B.

Escobar likely spends all or most of next year in AAA. So his first full year in the majors (2010) is also Hardy's last year before free agency. Weeks and Hall are free agents the next year, so there's not a lot of overlap. Of course, there will be tough decisions on who to keep.

i love the obp from hardy this year...but i want to wait until the end of the season before we judge his numbers...he's had hot streaks like this before, but he always levels out somewhat...

that said, Hardy is better right now than escobar ever will be, so i'm certainly not in favor of moving JJ anywhere except maybe to 2nd for alcides

Escobar is going to play SS.

If Hardy continues to hit like this, you can put him at 3B then trade him when Gamel is ready.

If not, you either move him to 2B and trade Weeks, or trade him when Escobar is ready.

I just don't see him being very durable over his career, so I hope they can get something good for him in the next few years.

I prefer Gamel at first, Hardy at third, and Escobar at short stop more than this infield right now. I think Gamel has the right build to be a first basemen, and he couldn't be much worse than what Prince is right now.

But let's just worry about it when the time comes. I'm enjoying the ride right now http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

I too would prefer Gamel at 1st. Followed by JJ at 3rd, Escobar at SS and Rickie at 2B. I just think moving Gamel to the OF is a waste.

that said, Hardy is better right now than escobar ever will be, so i'm certainly not in favor of moving JJ anywhere except maybe to 2nd for alcides

This strikes me as a rather sensationalist thing to say.

Escobar, right now, is hitting .337/.367/.444/.811 in his second season at Huntsville, 21 years of age.

Hardy, in 2003, hit .279/.368/.428/.796 in his second season at Huntsville, 21 years of age.

Obviously Hardy showed more patience, which projects better, but other than that, their offensive stats are quite similar. Couple that with the fact that Escobar by all accounts is the superior defender (right now!), I'm not sure it's reasonable to say that Escobar will never be as good as J.J. Hardy.

I just think moving Gamel to the OF is a waste.

Players who can't even play the OF play 1B. It is on the far left of the defensive spectrum. It is more of a waste to move him to first base than a corner outfield spot, though the difference isn't too big. Fit him in where we need him, if he can't handle 3rd.

Time is on our side with this decision and it's good to have insurance for Hardy in case if anything goes wrong with Escobar sitting in the minors. If Hardy helped land a #2 or #3 type starter this offseason, I'd say do the deal, but in the mean time, let him rake and win games for us.

Archived