Brewer Fanatic

Is Bill Hall justifying his salary?

glassjawed

Got into a discussion before the kids stormed into school today...

Bill Hall always seems good for a heck of a highlight reel or some late inning heroics. While the last two nights have been pivotal, does his cumulative efforts justify what he is being paid? Is Billy just another Geoff Jenkins (hot than not), or is he the first of the home grown talent in recent years having been worth signing long term (excluding pitching)? I can't decide...and believe this year will be the one that helps me choose. Thoughts?

Yes. He's more than justfied it by winning 3 games this year already.

At least, in my opinion.

He isn't making that much money anyway. So many people seem to be stuck in the early 90's salary structure. He's not even making 2x what Craig Counsell is.

So I ask you, is Craig Counsell justifying his salary?

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I think salary and performance shouldn't ever be used together except to determine what a player should get for their next contract. There are always going to be players making less money and putting up better numbers. Players should be judged against previous performance and expectations.

Hall is what he is. He will make some spectacular plays and have some late inning heroics which will somewhat over shadow the fact that he will look completley lost in the field and at the plate some of the time. High highs and low lows, not much in between.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

His $4.8MM this year is tolerable, it's the 6.8 and 8.4 he's owed for the next two years that trouble me.

Completely agree. I can't help but feel the plateau has already been met. This just feels like another Jenkins contract to me. Am I the only one who sees the similarity?

And no, Counsell has not met his salary requirements. But - I don't think anyone expected him to when the deal was signed (where oh where has my Tony gone?).

(set off quote with italics 1992)

I disagree that Counsell hasn't met his salary. The Brewers are getting exactly what they thought and exactly what Counsell costs. Guys who have been around that long, have championship experience and always seem to come up big in those clutch moments, tend to be worth a little more. I have no problem with Craig Counsell's contract.

I want Craig Counsell off the bench if we make the playoffs.

OldSchoolSnapper wrote:

I want Craig Counsell off the bench if we make the playoffs.

I can't say he'd be my first choice. Put him in the field, but let the other pinch hitters bat (other than Rivera).

Even what he's making the next two years, isn't that far less than what Jenkins was making? Really, if he makes an .800 ops next year at that 6.8 mil number, that's probably a decent value at third base. In spite of him being below that this year, I think .800 isn't unattainable for him in '09 (and he might get there in '08 too, if he continues hitting better). 8.4 for that starts being a bit pricey imo, but not unreasonably so. (Note: I am not saying he's a lock for that level of production, but if he does that or close to it then he is not going to be deadweight on the payroll).

Archived