Brewer Fanatic

What would you think of using Gallardo as playoff closer, if healthy?

adambr2
I believe it was Casey Stengel who said " You gotta dance with the one which brung ya" . Don't bring Yo back until 09. Why risk it? If were in a position where were in the playoffs then we don't need him. We will need him more next year with Sheets leaving.

No long explanation, I've posted my thoughts about Yo pitching again this season many times.

I think it's a horrible idea for the reasons I've already stated.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Assuming he's completely ready to pitch...

...Absolutely not. He has no prior closing experience. There are intangibles a closer needs to have that you can't pick up in a week. The mentality you need to have as a closer is much different than that of a starting pitcher or even other relievers. If you don't have that or lose that it doesn't matter how good your stuff is you won't be effective (Gagne and Turnbow are kind of examples here). Also then that could affect him when he goes back to the rotation next year. There's too much of a risk, and I don't think he'd be better than any of the options in our bullpen.

If he's truely ready to pitch this year I'd take him back in our bullpen, but not as a closer. As a middle reliever or even setup man in the 8th inning he could be a big help in our pen, but leave the closing to Torres.

IF we make the playoffs... it means Torres is doing his job. Which means why change things?

Absolutely. You could assume that if he's healthy enough to pitch, he could get people out, but to assume that after missing that much time Gallardo could immediately shake off the rust and be a shut down closer would be extremely optimistic. It's not just about playing it safe with his health, this is about realizing Yo will be rusty as heck and gonna need plenty of work getting his mechanics and routines back in order.

I agree that we shouldn't risk his career by rushing him back for the playoffs. IF. he is good to go according to doctors, more doctors, and other doctors, the training staff, himself, Melvin, Ned, AND his mother.... then I would be ok with him being the 'fireman' of the bullpen who would come in and work to one or two batters in jam. Though that is a bit of a high stress situation, limiting to just one or two batters would I hope prevent him from wearing on his arm even if his mechanics are slightly off. It would also use a good pitcher in the bullpen in a situation that good pitchers should be used (instead of bases empty in the ninth for the best reliever).

On another medical front, right-hander Yovani Gallardo has begun throwing on flat ground. Gallardo tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee May 1 in Chicago and was presumed lost for the season.

Ash indicated there is no set date for Gallardo to begin throwing off a mound but said he remains on schedule in his program of physical therapy. There remains a chance that Gallardo will be able to pitch again in September, though he might be relegated to relief work to guard against overuse.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=776765

If he's cleared to play in September then by all means I want him pitching. At this point I like Torres to remain the closer. If Gallardo is healthy I say why not put him back into the rotation? Every time a pitcher throws the ball they risk injury. If he's medically cleared by the people the Brewers are paying big bucks to make those decisions and Gallardo himself says he's fine then you are left no choice but to believe them. He could just as easily get hurt throwing in spring training next year as the end of this season. I absolutely don't want the Brewers to be careless with him, but sometimes I think uncontrollable circumstances are mistaken as being careless.

It was likely (and still is) that he would be out for the season, but I don't think anyone in the know has explicitly said that he won't be able to return this season. At this point we don't know. We will probably get better information in about a month, because he would probably need to go through a mini spring training to prepare if he wanted to come back.

The point that is being missed is that Yo will be pitching no matter what. It's part of his rehab. He's not going to just sit in a recliner and suddenly start throwing in February. It will be tempting for Yo to push himself to hard, so they need to really keep an eye on him. Now if his 100% somehow in September, there's no reason not to use him other than superstition.

Archived