Brewer Fanatic

Top Video Game "Legends"

jaybird2001wi

I was thinking about this the other day, since we all have played a sports video game at least once in our lives and we did grow up in either the Nintendo or for the older folks, Atari.

I was thinking about the most unstoppable players created by video game engineers and here are some of my thoughts on who the Greatest Players ever created. Since I played Super Tecmo Bowl the most of ANY sports video game, I don't remember much of any other sports video game.

1) Bo Jackson (Super Tecmo Bowl) - Is there anyone more unstoppable than Bo Jackson in Video Game history? I remember taking every kickoff and running it back to the 1-yard line just so I can break out a 99-yard touchdown run with Jackson every play. He was even unstoppable when the computer selected the same play. I recall rushing for 1,000 yards in a SINGLE game with him.

2) Air Allnite (Sega's David Robinson's Supreme Court) - This video game created ficticious players and the hottest player was Allnite. He had Larry Bird's three-point abilities plus Michael Jordan's old fade-away abilities rolled into one. Only difference was he NEVER missed a three-point shot, even when his "fatigue" was low.

3) Kevin Mitchell (Sega's RBI Baseball) - The year Mitchell hit 37 or so homers, it seemed like every time I used him, he always hit homers. If you pretty much hit the ball on the right part of the bat, he would hit a homer.

4) Any pitcher (Nintendo's 1986 Major League Baseball game) - All you had to do was pitch the ball completely outside and every batter would strike out. Also to note was a MAJOR fielding flaw, all of the players threw the ball so slow on the field that every softly hit ball in the infield was a single. And balls would disappear in the middle of the fence and be declared home runs.

5) Any Nose Tackle (Super Tecmo Bowl) - I never mastered this art on defense, but whenever my brother or friend would play me in the game, he would slide through the center at the snap and sack me well before I could have the chance to drop back to pass.

6) Walter Payton (Original Tecmo Bowl) - He was the pre-Bo Jackson but less unstoppable.

7) Joe Montana-Jerry Rice tandem (Super Tecmo Bowl) - I always managed to drop back about 20-30 yards and heave a 60 yard pass to Jerry Rice even though he was not even on the screen at the time, so there were times where he'd be triple covered and still catch a pass and run it in for the touchdown.

These are the guys I could think of off the top of my head. Any others? I pretty much addictively played Super Tecmo Bowl everyday at one point, sometimes going through the entire 16-game schedule AND playoffs during sleepovers with friends when I was in elementary school.

In no particular order:

1) Ray Allen (NBA Live 2002 for XBOX) - I would absolutely dominate with Ray and the Bucks. He was a 3-point machine. Made the game far to easy. I would throw up shots from feet behind the 3 point line and they would go in easily

2) Justin Verlander (MLB 2k7 for XBOX 360) - Impossible to hit off of him while playing other users over the internet. The guy throws a 100 MPH fastball w/ a ~75-80MPH NASTY curveball. Combine that with the latency, and you have the perfect cocktail for a no-hitter.

3) Peach (Mario Kart 64: Versus mode) - What more do you need to say. She is my lady. "Take that!"

Bowser (Mario Kart 65 : Battle mode) - Need to be one of the big-boppers so you can run into other people and take out their balloons

thats about all I can come up with for now (not thinking hard enough). I'll try to think back to some of the older games that I used to play as well.

BTW - the Cowboys owned in Tecmo (not a fan, just a fact)

bo jackson is a clear #1

i was a fan of wario in kart 64.

any curveball pitcher in the original RBI baseball. bret saberhagen comes to mind. the curve would hit the outside corner but it was impossible to hit for the first 3-4 innings.

• Chad Moeller - MVP Baseball '05 - guy could mash homeruns well beyond his capabilities in real-life...hit 70+ homers with him in a season
  • Tom Brunansky - World Series Baseball '94 - see Chad Moeller
  • QB Eagles (Randall Cunningham) - Tecmo Super Bowl - when in Good or Excellent condition was as fast as Bo Jackson or could stop and fire bombs
  • All Running Backs - NFL Quarterback Club '96 - you could press hurdle and speed burst simultaneous and the RB would bounce 5 yards every time around the D
  • Joe Sakic - NHL '95 - Best deker in the game... could score every time down the ice

Just a few that are off the top of my head

AJ Burnett Triple Play for PS2- His combination of the 99 MPH heat and the insane offspeed stuff he had made him a threat to no hit you every time he went up. I've seen it happen once

Any Knuckleballer on Triple Play as well- Waiting on the knuckler was impossible enough but they gave Steve Sparks an 88 mph fastball which put him over the top.

Joe Crispin NBA Live 01 for PS2- His shooting abilities were off the charts. Putting up a 50 spot with him was very little challenge, even on the hardest levels.

Madden has so many its ridiculous. My friend and I would go as far as banning a guy if it got to the extent where it could almost take the realism out of a game.

Pat Kerney has been known to bull rush so ferociously to collapse the pocket instantly as soon as the ball is snapped. Even highly rated RT find their backsides when faced by Kerney.

Vernon Davis is an incredible athlete but it cant be taken into account in video game land how bad of a route runner he is. Its like having an extra running back on the field playing TE

Fast QB before Madden 07- Thankfully they've changed the passing controls so a guy cant be in a full spring and throw a perfect spiral 40 yards downfield. Before the changes though, you almost couldnt compete against a Mcnabb or Vick.

Randy Moss- 2 deep defenses stand no chance against this guy

Talking about lurching in Techmo, no one could top Jerry Ball. He was the best nose tackle in the game and could end a game on his own. Lurching is also the most illegal move in video game history. Craig Hayward was completely unstoppable on a Bo Jackson level as well. His hitting power was always 100 and his speed was no slouch.

I would disagree with Bo Jackson being the most dominant athlete in video game history. Randall Cunningham was easily better. There was no defense for anything he did. While everyone who played video games knows "The Bo Jackson Play", they also know what it means to be "Cunninghamed"

I know you guys want players.

But In Tecmo Super Bowl the 49ers are unstopable when they are controlled by a player.

It was so bad that whenever me and my friends or siblings would play no one could take the 49ers because they were so unstopable.

Over the years I have played alot of Video games and no other players or teams were ever banned.

I still break out Tecmo Super Bowl once in a while to play with friends for nostalgic purposes and the 49ers are still banned.

5) Any Nose Tackle (Super Tecmo Bowl) - I never mastered this art on defense, but whenever my brother or friend would play me in the game, he would slide through the center at the snap and sack me well before I could have the chance to drop back to pass.

Bob Nelson, Green Bay Packers Nose Tackle. Easily 120+ sacks/season.

Paste in the original Bases Loaded. Anyone remember him? If he made contact, the ball was gone. A good way to really p-off your friends was to bean Mr. Paste in the 7th inning. After the ensuing brawl, Paste gets ejected.

Oh and Mcgwire in RBI Baseball. I can still here the homerun theme and fireworks going off.

Christian Okoye, Madden 94 for Sega Genesis. kinda like Ron Dayne, a guaranteed 4 yards.

the "speed" specialty bench player in MVP Baseball from Sega Genesis. roughly five times as fast as the other players, I'd let the brother catch me in a pickle on purpose just because he always got mad when I could outrun it.

Paste in the original Bases Loaded. Anyone remember him? If he made contact, the ball was gone. A good way to really p-off your friends was to bean Mr. Paste in the 7th inning. After the ensuing brawl, Paste gets ejected.

I remember in Bases Loaded there was a guy named "Fendy" or something like that who played for New Jersey, I believe, who was quite a big hitter as well. I would usually use the same bean ball strategy against him, to the ire of my friends.

"You hit him on purpose!"

"Uh...no I didn't."

To be honest, I sucked at Bases Loaded for the most part.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

2) Justin Verlander (MLB 2k7 for XBOX 360) - Impossible to hit off of him while playing other users over the internet. The guy throws a 100 MPH fastball w/ a ~75-80MPH NASTY curveball. Combine that with the latency, and you have the perfect cocktail for a no-hitter.

Verlander is so nasty in that game. You would think that because he only has three pitches he would be easier to hit, but his pitches are so filthy.

1. Gilbert Arenas (NBA LIve 2008 for 360): not that it's possible to stop anyone in this game, but Gil can hit from anywhere.

2. Bill Hall (MLB 2k7): He isn't as unstoppable as Pujols, Jeter or Manny but he is ridiculously good in this game . . . for Bill Hall. Anything over the plate and he can jack it out of here. I absolutely hate Billy in this game (my friend always picks the brewers)

I used to play with the Buffalo Bills in Super Tecmo Bowl and there was a pass from Kelly to Andre Reed that was completely unstopable. It was a quick slant that even if your opponent guessed the play I could complete it every time. I would tell my opponent it was coming and it still worked. I have a picture somewhere of the screen where I maxed out the scoreboard in a game. I can't remember how many points it was but using the regular short quarters I know Kelly had over 600 yards passing. Maybe I'll find the pic for old times sake but I never lost a game using the Bills because the offense was unstopable and one of the linebackers, Cornelius Bennet? was a machine. I know others swore by Randall Cunningham and Bo Jackson but that Kelly/Reed pass made the game impossible to lose to another live person.

I know the nose tackle play and a friend used to try it all the time with the Steelers or Giants but as soon as I started calling the "Play" he was helpless it would go for a completion everytime before the NG could make the sack.

On MVP 05 for some reason I was unstoppable with Jose Guillen, I just waited for a pitch to pull and it'd be a homer every time. I had like 40 at the all star break that season. I think I played on the hardest difficulty too.

Bob Nelson is a stud. Any of the amazing dbacks in excellent are tough to have any passing game against.(rod woodson) James Lofton seems to catch everything. Jump catches too. Nearly impossible to defend, coming from qb bills. qb eagles is more danger then bo jackson. In my opinion. I still play that game regularly. Used to play about 5-10 games a night frosh and soph year in college, against another human of course.

Reggie Bush (er, HB #5) in NCAA Football 06, especially when he was "in the zone." Unstoppable if he got to the outside, and if he was in the zone, he'd break tackles like Barry Sanders.

And while it's not a sports game, I rocked in Mortal Kombat with Scorpion. Get as far away from the opponent as possible to avoid getting hit, use the "GET OVER HERE!!" spear to drag them over, and then unleash a nasty combo. Repeat as necessary. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Mike Rivera's a beast in MLB 07 The Show -- for some reason, one of the best hitting catchers in the entire game. In Owner Mode, I had him producing like vintage Pudge/Piazza.

Eric Gagne was pretty unhittable in MVP 05 -- 98 mph fastball, 70 mph curveball, 60 mph changeup.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

In MVP 05 Ben Hendrickson would always go like 21-2 with a 1.50 ERA for my Triple A team. LOL

Bill Hall was unstoppable in early versions of MVP even when he was still a bad utility infielder.

Ashley Lelie was one of those guys who became a 99 in two years of Madden his rookie year. He is what I call a "Madden All Star"--guys who are awesome in Madden but suck in real life. Donnell Washington was one of those guys, too.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Archived