Brewer Fanatic

07/25/2006 Pirates (Snell) @ Brewers (Sheets) 7:05 CST

JoeH33
Quote:
If Bush goes 1-2-3 no one says anything. But Bush blew it.

Yeah, the move makes absolute perfect sense. I don't see how you can put Bush's tough inning on Ned Yost. Has anyone in the bullpen done anything but give up runs for the last month? Bush isn't needed in the rotation this week, so to me it seemed like the right move, it just happened to have frustrating results.

Sheets and TGJR made me smile.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bush was the best option here. I FELT safer with him out there than anyone we had. Smart Move , Bad Pitching. If Bush goes 1-2-3 no one says anything. But Bush blew it.

I felt ill the moment I saw him in the bullpen. I would have felt better with Helling, but maybe he is hurt again. It probably didn't matter since the Crew was bent on scoring only one (1) run today anyway.

BTW, has anyone else in MLB been picked off of second by the catcher this year?

Quote:
Capellan and Helling would both have been better choices

How did Capellan do last night i forget? o yeah thats right almost blew the game himslef. And don't even say Helling , there is a reason his ear is just under 5. Bush is top 10 in K's. Sure he is a starter but , thats the 5th starters job in case of short outings or key situations they are suppose to be ready. Bush just blew it.

Quote:
Capellan and Helling would both have been better choices. Helling has barely done anything in eight days, and he's proven in the past that he's pretty good in his first inning, as opposed to Bush, whose worst inning is his first.

If we would have used Helling tonight we couldn't hurt Bush's arm. This way Helling can be off for a long time and then pitch 4 games in a week and hurt his arm.

Bush wasn't all that effective in his last relief appearance. Pitching in a game is different then throwing on the side. If They want to use him out of the pen because he is being skipped, why can't he have a little more rest first. I don't agree with that strategy anyways. With two starters coming off of the DL and with all the innings that Capuano has thrown this season I would think that an extra day of rest would be beneficial.

David Bush opponent OPS by inning:

1-3 .870

4-6 .637

7-9 .618

So, yeah, he sucks in his first innings of work.

His opponent OPS is .962 for pitches 1-15 and 1.024 for pitches 16-30.

But, hey, let's bring him in cold out of the bullpen in a tie game. What a great idea! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

Interesting look into the post-game press conference after the game tonight...I wish they'd do that more often. Then again, maybe they do, but I rarely get the postgame show with DishNetwork.

Yost seemed a little peeved when one reporter asked him if he regretted putting Bush in. Lots of interrupting questions with short yes/no answers. At least he seemed mad for once.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Quote:
Or we could give the ball to the worst bullpen is baseball...

David Bush has made three relief appearances in his (albeit short) career.

Two of them have come in the last six days.

Seriously, how can you argue with a straight face that this makes sense?

Are you going to advocate bringing Ben out of the bullpen on Friday against the Reds, or Cappy on Saturday? Of course you're not. So why is it a good idea to put in a guy who obviously thrives on getting into a rhythm and doesn't usually do well right out of the block?

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

Quote:
Are you going to advocate bringing Ben out of the bullpen on Friday against the Reds, or Cappy on Saturday?

No because Sheets and Cappy are Aces. And to be honest , Dave Bush isnt that good. Sure he has struck alot of people out. But he has not proved himself in being a starter yet. And you say he has a rythem , look at his stats ..., i think he needs to find a new way to get ready.

Quote:
i think he needs to find a new way to get ready

Well I don't think a tie game in the eighth inning is a good time to test his preparation abilities.

Maybe we can throw Turnbow in that situation tomorrow so someone can talk about how great an idea that is.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

1. There are more types of pitchers than "aces" and "bad ones". Example: Chris Capuano is neither an "ace" nor a "bad pitcher".

2. Don't use "All-Star" as your case. Derrick Turnbow was an All-Star. Ricky Bones made an All-Star game once, too.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

Here are the Bullpen options for those who say Bush was a mistake:

Wise - Not available

Capellan - Not available (I assume given the sore shoulder and crap outing last night.)

Helling - Who knows what's up with him?

Gonzalez - Pitched more innings than Bush did the other day.

Turnbow - Ummm...

Shouse - Maybe

Kolb - currently the closer and unreliable at best.

So in a 1-1 game with a LH followed by 3 RH's who would you have put in instead of Bush? The only real option is probably Shouse. Lets not forget folks that this is the same pitching staff that came dangerously close to coughing up an 8 run lead last night. Dave Bush was in there for the same reason Ben Sheets led off the 6th inning, he was the bullpen tonight.

Quote:
Seriously, how can you argue with a straight face that this makes sense?

Are you going to advocate bringing Ben out of the bullpen on Friday against the Reds, or Cappy on Saturday? Of course you're not. So why is it a good idea to put in a guy who obviously thrives on getting into a rhythm and doesn't usually do well right out of the block?

It really is not as complicated as the folks who would like to believe that Ned Yost is the reason the Brewers are bad, would like it to be. Bush pitched only 3 innings in his last start, and because of off days and Sheets and Ohka coming back, he will not make another start until August 1st. That's the difference, and I suspect you know that, but if Yost is a bad manager then that's the easy answer everybody wants, ans d it means the Brewers are really better than they have shown. That is certainly amore desireable option than the reality that we have a bunch of pitchers that can't get hitters out. Given the complete joke the rest of the Brewers bullpen is, and Dave Bush truly was in all likelihood the best option tonight.

I think Ned put Bush in as a message to GM Melvin that he would like him to make a move for a quality relief pitcher. He is saying Bush is his better option because he either didn't trust the guys who haven't pitched much lately, or he may be concerned about their health. I think Wise, and maybe Goonzalez, were the only ones in the pen who truly worked too much recently to not be available.

Ned has made a lot of other moves that shows he does not trust the guys he has in the pen. I can think of times where he's let a starter who's been struggling all game have an at bat, only to get shelled the next inning.

The only one he has shown any faith in was Turnbow, continuing to use him even as he blew saves. It took him a while pull him from the closre's role.

I don't think many of Ned's moves were off base, including tonight's move. I also don't like may of the guys we have in the pen, and Im surprised at how Doug has been unable to pick up any help for the pen since the break.

Quote:
Really...how is Helling NOT an option?

Its a good question, and I don't claim to have the answer, but personally I suspect there is one. He would be the only alternative though. One thing I will throw out there is the trading deadline. With every team looking for bullpen help, I think its definitely possible there is a very good reason he wasn't used tonight.

Archived