Brewer Fanatic

The Right Way

DSFastball55

How exactly would you play the game the wrong way?

If you play like Alex Sanchez? He's one of the few players I've seen in any sport who didn't seem to have a grasp of the rules. He even threw his glove at a ball once, causing the opposing batter to be awarded three bases.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I would guess that playing the wrong way would involve a lack of hustle and a lack of respect for opponents, umpires, fans, media, and teammates. Basically making baseball all about you and not caring at all about anything else. Being extremely happy and showing it off even though you're on a 50-112 team would do the trick, I'm sure.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I say this all the time. This is why I have so much respect for Joe Mauer. I am convinced that he could play for the Cubs and I would still be a huge fan of his.

I would agree with pitchleague in his analysis. I think when people saying someone is "playing the game the right way", the refer to an old-school approach of hustle, respect and desire for the game. These guys aren't flashy, they don't watch their home runs sail out of the park, they just put their head down and RUN around the bases, not power-walk like many people do today. To me, a guy like this hits line drives without being concerned about the home-run.

Not a rant, just describing what I envision when I say "he plays the game the right way". A hard-working, scrappy, doubles-guy, with a lot of respect for the game

Running out every ball, running the bases smartly, going after every foul ball 100% until it's clearly out of play, not "wasting" ABs, hitting the cut-off man, taking out the SS on a DP, carrying yourself as a professional, etc. are all exmaples of "Palying the right way." Doesn't bother me at all. With that said, "but still in all"....that's another story.

Am I alone in my hatred for the phrase "he plays the game the right way"? I hear this all the time from sportscasters and in interviews, and it annoys me to no end.

How exactly would you play the game the wrong way?

I guess you could run to 3rd instead of 1st when you hit the ball.

But seriously, when I hear "playing the game the right way", I'm assuming they're talking about smart baserunning, hustling when appropriate, and protecting the plate on 2 strikes. However, in my opinion, it's a label often applied to players that suck.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

...when I hear "playing the game the right way", I'm assuming they're talking about smart baserunning, hustling when appropriate, and protecting the plate on 2 strikes. However, in my opinion, it's a label often applied to players that suck.

I agree with that. You hear all about how guys like Counsell and Kendall and Kapler "play the game the right way", but you rarely hear that same thing applied to someone like Braun. It is almost as though stars get by on talent, while role-players get by on grit and guile and hustle.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Personally, I hate the phrase. It's been my observation that it is applied almost exclusively to American-born players of light complexion. Like somehow they are the only ones who know how to play the game "the right way". I'm not the kind of person who searches for racism in society...this is just something that I've observed. Your opinion may differ.

To me it's not only about the rules of the game, but it's also about the unwritten rules of the game--the courtesies. For example, in a bean ball war in the NL, you don't throw at the pitcher.

In golf, it'd be that you wear a collared shirt, tuck it in, and your hat--if wearing one--should be worn in a normal forward-facing fashion. While playing you should play "ready golf." Nothing peaves serious golfers more than when playing with a poor golfer, the poor golfer comes off with some attitude you MUST play farthest-from-the hole first.

Personally, I hate the phrase. It's been my observation that it is applied almost exclusively to American-born players of light complexion. Like somehow they are the only ones who know how to play the game "the right way". I'm not the kind of person who searches for racism in society...this is just something that I've observed. Your opinion may differ.

Dunno, I've heard the "right way" attribute applied to Durham in the past couple of days as well.

In fact, it seems like EVERY time a player is traded, the new team indicates that they player they received plays the game the "right way".

I think anyone who has coached youth sports (and I'm not talking about pee wee level, I'm referring more to 10 years and older), has an appreciation for "the right way" to play.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I'd say about 98% of major leaguers play the game the right way. That's what frustrates me when guys like Eckstein get praised during every AB for doing so. Is it because they can't find anything else good to say about the player?

you just saw it on Braun's triple. Hustling out of the box from the start. All-out-running around those bases. Nice to see.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

you just saw it on Braun's triple. Hustling out of the box from the start. All-out-running around those bases. Nice to see.

More on his bunt single, I'd say. Taking what the defense gives you, taking what the pitcher gives you, and hitting the baseball 450 feet are all included under the umbrella phrase of playing the right way. Sportswriters seem to overlook the latter too often.

I'll take talent and playing the wrong way any day of the week.

However, Gleeman did a study on this a while back and 19 of 20 of the overachievers were white, and many of the underachievers were minorities. Not exactly the same, but close.

yeah, I would have added the bunt single to this list, too, but I was on the phone when it happened and I forgot about it until now.

- - - - - - - - -

Archived