Brewer Fanatic

Jay Gibbons Signed to Minor League Deal; Likely September Callup [Unless he retires, which he did July 9]

Gwynn's career OBP in the bigs to this point is .305 (hence the Gary Bennett reference). He's a terribly weak hitter overall, and he's not even that fast. He's not much more than a 5th OF, certainly not a lead-off hitter, and that some people strongly think he is, is what drives us Slappy haters nuts.

Back to Gibbons, I'm not sure what he gives you that Laynce Nix doesn't already have. (LH, power, low OBP, good defender, can play CF). I guess Gibbons has "proven" more at the major league level, but post PEDs he hasn't really shown more than Nix. Nix is quietly having a very good year in Nashville (yes, I realize he has been there a few years), and his willingness to stay with the Brewers in the offseason and not gripe about his role should be rewarded provided they don't acquire anyone better, and I'm not sure at this point that Gibbons is any better.

This may also be a bit of roster fill in after trading away 5 prospects (and one to come at the end of the year) for people added to the major league roster. He's not taking anyone's spot, so I don't see any reason why TGJ 'ers would have any additional feelings over that, or regarding any other player in the outfield at Nashville.

• 3 years later...

at this point, jay gibbons does not have an invitation to major league camp. he'll get to fight with corey patterson in minor league camp.

granted, because gibbons was signed to a minor league deal back in 2008, this thread should've been started in the minor league forum, and therefore resurrected in the minor league forum.

wow. gibbons got burned in 2008, huh? if i recall correctly, the brewers were so desperate for pitching help, that there was no room left on the 40-man for a september call-up.

i just revisited the brewers' 2008 transactions. turns out that it wasn't pitching that was chosen ahead of jay gibbons . . . laynce nix got a 40-man (and 25-man) roster spot in august, and angel salome and mat gamel got 40-man roster spots ahead of jay gibbons. everyone else was already on the 40-man and recalled.

seeing how late gibbons signed a contract, i doubt there's an opt-out clause before the end of spring training. gibbons sure must enjoy living in nashville to have signed this deal . . . because that's likely where he's headed.

• 4 months later...
I remember when there were rumors we had traded for Adam Dunn. My friends argued against it, saying TGJ was obviously the better player and he should just be handed CF for the next 10 years. They also argued that I shouldn't use "convoluted" stats like OBP when all they cared about was how well TGJ was at getting on base.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

This thread is awesome. I loved any thread that ripped on TGJ back in the day.

Which was basically every thread... the good ole days!

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived