Brewer Fanatic

Is there anything missing on Brewers run for the Title?

Wesrob1

Trading for Sherrill is buying high. Nevertheless, the guy's been a quality reliever for several seasons and is still in his arby years. I think he's as good as anybody available right now, and he wouldn't be a 2 month rental.

Let me add, I hope Doug doesn't go into panic mode and try to acquire 3-4 more players. The Crew have been playing at a 107 pace over the last 55 games. Frankly, I don't know what kind of move they could do that would improve on that!

1. Who is our speed guy off the bench?

Well Council right now I think but in September it will be Gwynn Jr.

2. Who do you want on the mound if we need to get through 1 last inning to make it into the next round or win it all?(I'm sure this has been brought up somewhere before)

CV all the way! Torres and Riske are just below him

3. What will our bench look like for the postseason?

This is something i was wondering about. I mean in September we have the extended roster, so we can give Gwynn Jr, Nelson, Iribarren maybe even Gamel and Escobar to come in and pinch hit, maybe make a start or to 2. But when/if we make the playoffs we have to cut back down to 25. So guess it will be pretty much its like right now. With Craigy Council, Gabey Kapler, and Durham.... then I rather see Gwynn Jr. than Branyan or maybe go a pitcher less to keep Gwynn Jr. but he is a MUST NEED GUY in my opinion because we need that speed on the bases to pinch run and he is by far the best bunter on the team, Corey Hart is really the only one close to him. Plus he plays great defense to!

4. And our bullpen?

Yeah, I think Stetter needs to be up there and we all seem to agree with that beside Ned and Doug...i completely disagree with him being the one to go down to make room for Suppan.... what more could they want from him, he has pitched great, if hes throwing strikes hes lights out. He just tends to hurt himself with walks. Mota, Gagne need to get there asses going, and be as reliable as they were in the 1st game of the Cardinal series. I'd like to add another arm but I like Stetter over alot of them

Personally, I think the pen has been pretty solid since Torres moved to the closer role. Our pen isn't nearly as bad as people say it is (media creates a firestorm over it)

Agreed. And I'm not sure why Melvin couldn't beat that deal for Rauch. It's not always common knowledge to GMs who exactly is available and sometimes you just get beat to the punch. Melvin could be biding his time to see just how much help he wants to get (if any) by the trade deadline.

I think acquiring another solid reliever would help avoid a potential disastrous situation that could derail a great season, such as Gagne reverting back to April/May Gagne, Riske not staying healthy, Mota continuing to stink, Shouse wearing out his arm or God forbid something happening to Torres. At this point, after acquiring CC, Durham, Gibbons, I think Melvin will give this team as much help as he can.

Marmol
Yikes. Have you seen him lately?

7.36 ERA in June

11.37 ERA to date in July

I think I'll pass.

Just like to point out something for those of you that think Marmol is "used up" or whatever term you want to use.

True - June's ERA in total was 7.36 - 13 Games - 11 IP - 9 ER

But if you eliminate 2 appearances (and I know that in total you can't but if you think of them as anomolies...)

June's numbers would be 11 games - 10 IP - 2 ER - 1.80 ERA

Simililarly for July eliminate 2 of 8 appearances and 11.37 drops to 2.08

These oddities I'm eliminating occurred on June 2 and 19, July 2 and 12.

What I'm saying here is that these are scattered meltdowns that happen to most relievers and that you guys shouldn't be so anxious to face him. Actually I think that his next melt down should be August 2. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

What I'm saying here is that these are scattered meltdowns that happen to most relievers and that you guys shouldn't be so anxious to face him.

Turnbow, Derrick?

Edit: Pared back quote... please watch what you're quoting.

What I'm saying here is that these are scattered meltdowns that happen to most relievers and that you guys shouldn't be so anxious to face him.

So true. You've got a good grasp of baseball sure you aren't really a Brewer fan undercover? It's also why I'm not overly worried about our bullpen. It's a veteran group who will go through good and bad times. Overall they all have, at the very least, been serviceable for lengthy stretchs of time over their careers. The meltdown we had last year in the pen was more due to youth and lack of legitimate talent. I don't see the same potential problem with the pen this year.

The only potential problem I see with Marmol is the workload issue. He's going to be in new territory workload wise this year and despite his obvious talent it is a question mark whether he can sustain the workload and still be as effective as he was earlier. If he can't the Cubs pen is no better than ours.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived