Brewer Fanatic

Does Suppan deserve a spot in the rotation?

Suppan is an average pitcher. He led the team in innings pitched last year which really means something, considering they were a winning team. Despite him? Don't know.

You know what you get with him. He generally gives your team a chance to win. Good enough for me. You won't have studs 1-5.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Suppan has consistently disappointed in the middle of the season and consistently impressed at the beginning and end of the season. I guess that's better than the other way around. And since he's an innings eater with post season success, it makes him a better option than Seth McClung or CV, even if their salaries were the same. I would also argue that his veteran presence in the dugout is an asset as he's generally regarded as an intelligent pitcher as well as an all around good guy.

I have to agree with the last two posts. Throw in what he does in the community and the overall picture of having Jeff Suppan in a Brewers uniform is definitely more valuable. They showed his career .ERA numbers by month yesterday during the telecast. It was something like April .300 May 3.5 June 4.5 July 5. August 2.75 Sept. 2.0. You aren't going to have studs 1-5. And even though he may have originally been the #2 starter, that was two Christmas' ago. It's ok to change your mindset with the addition of guys like Sabathia, the emergence of Parra, Gallardo, and even Villanueva and be ok with the thought that getting 9-10 wins out of a #5 slotted Suppan is outstanding.

No it isn't when you are paying through the nose for it. And they didn't show his career numbers yesterday , they cherry picked the last few seasons. That's because a 4.67 career ERA in August for a career 4.61 ERA pitcher isn't that exciting.

No it isn't when you are paying through the nose for it. And they didn't show his career numbers yesterday , they cherry picked the last few seasons. That's because a 4.67 career ERA in August for a career 4.61 ERA pitcher isn't that exciting.

Oh, I stand corrected. I'm really not in the mood to argue salary, but I will try and make a point or two. I personally don't contribute to the paycheck and never once have found the need to complain about salary in relation to a player's performance. It's pretty standard that you earn a contract based on a previous season and nobody can predict the future (See David Beckham ref pro soccer). The benefits to the community, etc, I don't know how you put a price on that. It's like Joe Citizen claiming to a police officer, "I pay your salary".

You're absolutely correct, 4.61 isn't that exciting, but really 4 to 5 runs over 9 innings, keeps you in the ballgame a majority of the time. I don't think .ERA tells the whole picture either. Minus missing the start prior to the All-Star break, he's been an innings eater and there are several other factors to evaluate his worth, even things off the baseball field that I dont think can be quantified to argue about his salary. I think the problem is people still expect him to be the #2 starter, throwing Sheets like stuff, when he's a #4-5 starter at best. Don't blame Suppan that this team had a bunch of nobodies in the rotation (minus Sheets) when they signed him and he was forced to fill a role that he didn't have the stuff to fill.

Suppan signed for the going rate for a very durable .500 pitcher. The Brewers are getting from him just that. The problem of course in committing that much to a .500 pitcher is that you lock up a rotation spot for 4 seasons that could go to a guy capable of better. The other problem with the Suppan contract is that it is ridiculously back loaded basically making a trade impossible. I don't think Seth McClung is anything more than a .500 pitcher at best so that he's in the pen doesn't faze me too much. I think sooner or later though they need to find out what they have in Villanueva over something longer than a 8 or 9 start stint. But with still $27 million owed Suppan after this season, barring injury, it's not going to be at the expense of Suppan.

Archived