Brewer Fanatic

Torres doing better than CoCo this year

Just thought I'd check on CoCo and see how he's doing vs Torres to see how much we lost with letting CoCo go. His ERA and WHIP are higher but that was to be expected in that park. What surprised me is he blew 6 saves in 26 chances. Torres has blown 4 in 21 chances. CoCo had a great year and will be a good closer for several more IMO but at what price? It just goes to show no matter how good a closer you have there are some out there to be found that are cheaper with a decent chance of being as effective any given year.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Community Moderator
Torres was a good find, but remember that Gagne was the original closer and Mota was a potential closer before he imploded. They don't come around every day, it was just a result of Melvin signing several relief pitchers in the offseason.

Pretty much my point. It's a better risk to spread the money around to relievers than piling a lot of money on one guy long term. If we paid CoCo we have the same level closer this year and very little else to go with it.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

What I like about CoCo--and something that we're missing--is that he could strike out guys. It hurts that late in the game sometimes we simply can't get the key strikeout with men in scoring position

Are you talking about Mota or Gagne?

That's a little more like a week-old Bill Hall spitter cup.

Wait, I'm still confused.

Mota is like a week-old Hall spitter cup, and Gagne is the Stairs/Quevedo fecal explosion? Is that correct?

Archived