Brewer Fanatic

Strange seeing Number 5 on someone other than Jenkins.

Nottso

Thread title pretty much says it. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we got Durham; and even though I've always liked Jenks, I know he didn't do nearly enough here to warrant retiring his number. But it's going to take a bit to get used to seeing number 5 on someone else.

Overall (261 PA): .238/.297/.389/.680

240 PA v. RHP: .250/.304/.414/.718

I'm thinking the Phils were hoping for a bit better production than that. Sad to see it, Jenks -- still love ya man... and I agree. Weird to see #5 on anyone else.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Overall (261 PA): .238/.297/.389/.680

240 PA v. RHP: .250/.304/.414/.718

I'm thinking the Phils were hoping for a bit better production than that. Sad to see it, Jenks -- still love ya man... and I agree. Weird to see #5 on anyone else.

Second half just started so Jenks will heat up soon although right now he is in the middle of a playoff race. Time will tell him Jenks can handle the heat of a pennat race and still put up his usual numbers.

Speaking of numbers, I don't think the Brewers have given out Gantner's #17 since he retired. I could be wrong, but I don't remember ever seeing it.

I do believe you are right. Just checked armchairgm.com and they say Gantner was the last one as well.

I'm old enough to remember BJ Surhoff as "5" in the late eighties to early nineties
i recall bob uecker calling a play and referring to the player as b.j. surhoff, when it actually was jenkins (well into his tenure with the brewers).

These things are transitory. Most of the #5 wearers have been solid team players or short-timers. Surhoff was excellent in that way and at least as productive a Brewer as Jenkins, albeit in different ways than Jenkins (Surhoff didn't usually bat #3-4-5 as a Brewer as Jenkins typically did, for instance). Generally Surhoff's career track trended more upward than Jenkins' has. Overall Surhoff was no less of a classic Brewer, only with less power than Jenkins.

I remember when Gantner stepped down from his 1B Coach position years ago that he would still be a part-time coach, either in spring training or when the team's at home or something. So while Gantner's role isn't formal, the #17 is still sorta his, regardless how limited the usage is.

The Milwaukee Brewers website already has a Durham jersey up for sale. I wonder how many of these will sell...
http://lp.imageg.net/prod?set=key%5Bname%5D,value%5BDURHAM%5D&set=key%5Bnumber%5D,value%5B5%5D&set=key%5Bdisplaysize%5D,value%5B500%5D&load=url%5Bhttp://chains.imageg.net/graphics/dynamic/chains/p1989927_customback.chain%5D

Archived