Brewer Fanatic

Rules question on blown saves

IIAY
The end of last night's game got me thinking. Is it possible for a pitcher to record two blown saves in one game? Obviously Torres got a blown save and a win last night, but if he would have given up 3 runs in the 10th, would he have been credited with two blown saves?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Once Torres blew the save in the 9th, he (realistically) could only get a win, loss or no decision.

Could a pitcher get credit for two blown saves in a game? Technically, I think the answer is yes, but it would never happen.

Here is how I think it could be done.

- Torres allows the tying run in the bottom of the ninth, blowing the save. With two outs in the 9th, Torres moves to LF and Stetter gets the last out of the inning.

- The Brewers score thee in the top of the 10th. At that point, because he completed the 9th, Stetter becomes the pitcher of record. If Torres shifts from LF to P for the bottom of the 10th he could, theoretically, blow a second save if he gives up three or more runs in the bottom of the 10th.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

- Torres allows the tying run in the bottom of the ninth, blowing the save. With two outs in the 9th, Torres moves to LF and Stetter gets the last out of the inning.

- The Brewers score thee in the top of the 10th. At that point, because he completed the 9th, Stetter becomes the pitcher of record. If Torres shifts from LF to P for the bottom of the 10th he could, theoretically, blow a second save if he gives up three or more runs in the bottom of the 10th.

Now that's REALLY thinking "out of the box". http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Most blown saves actually occur in the 6th-8th innings, which make that whole stat meaningless. The out of the box idea is possible, but is improbable.
I could see LaRussa trying something like that.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Let Torres finish the ninth, then move him to left field. Have Gagne start the tenth, but have Torres come back to pitch after Gagne allows a scorching double to left center.

Torres finishes the game. He gets the win and the save. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

Once Torres blew the save in the 9th, he (realistically) could only get a win, loss or no decision.

Could a pitcher get credit for two blown saves in a game? Technically, I think the answer is yes, but it would never happen.

Here is how I think it could be done.

Once a pitcher blows a save, he isn't eligible to get a save in the same game. So, once Torres allows the tying run in the 9th, he's no longer eligible to get a save no matter what happens. Therefore, when he comes into the game in the bottom of the 10th it's not a save situation for him, and he therefore can't blow another save.

Creative though.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Once a pitcher blows a save, he isn't eligible to get a save in the same game. So, once Torres allows the tying run in the 9th, he's no longer eligible to get a save no matter what happens. Therefore, when he comes into the game in the bottom of the 10th it's not a save situation for him, and he therefore can't blow another save.

That's too bad.

I can't take too much credit for the idea, tho. I remember a game in the '80s sometime where a pitcher game in to face a hitter, then he was moved to LF for a single hitter, then he moved back to finish the inning. I was to say it involved Mike Marshall, but I can't say for sure.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Archived