Brewer Fanatic

Suppan activated, Stetter optioned to AAA

And That

It's now officially a good day. Thanks FTJ.

Check this out -- courtesy of Night Ranger....

Billy Castro makes a move for the phone

The phone rings its Ned all forlorn

Mike Maddux yells "Is Mota all warmed up?"

Not a sound as Mota pees in a cup

Fancy blue glove's got it ready to throw

Mitch Stetter got sent down from the show

Light him up and load the bases up full

And chuck it chuck it duck it

You can still suck in Miller Park

Ah yeah s'alright

Ah yeah all night

When you're dealing with a small sample like relievers do, a bad outing or two makes a guy seem much worse than he is.
But, aside from a tiny window of his career now over 4 years removed, Mota has never been a good pitcher.

Yep

Mota had a very good year and a half stretch for the Dodgers in 2003/2004, that's it, his ERA for any other season hasn't been under 4 and in most cases, was way above 4. Yet, because he's able to throw hard, teams keep trying to convince themselves that the Mota of 2003 will magically appear again out of nowhere.

It would be like some hitter from the steroid era who say jacked 55 homers with a great OPS over a year in a half stretch in 2003/2004, but has been crap since. Yet teams keep picking him up and thinking he'll repeat that magic even though his overall numbers have stunk since, but teases a few times a year with huge home runs.

No question sample sizes can effect relief pitchers more than starters, but if anyone wants to find the anomaly in Mota's career, it was his great year and a half in LA. The rest of his career, Mota has been a below average to very poor relief pitcher.

I'm disappointed Stetter went down over Mota being DFA'd, but I'm not surprised.

Mitch will be back sooner than later, he has proven to be serviceable this year. I'm guessing Ned and company were impressed enough with Mota's appearance last night to say his woes have been remedied.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Here's the thing. Stetter is just a phone call away and no matter how bad Mota has been if we can't make a deal for a relief pitcher and a pitcher in the bullpen goes down between now and the trade deadline is there a better option? I'm not so sure there is. If Melvin pulls off a deal for a quality reliever between now and the trade deadline then Mota can pack his bags.

Why don't we just trade him to Kansas City like all the other pitching dissapointments.

Of course Mota dominated LHers last year while RHers killed him.....

His career splits strongly indicate he's best used as a ROOGY. I don't think that's any stretch.

Mota's career splits are really close that its hard to say its outside of normal platoon advantage, a .678 OPS vs .733 OPS is just not that big

I'm curious to know if there is anything Gagne or Mota could do (on the field) that would result in them being cut.

I'm not saying not cutting them is the wrong move per se, it's just that with a team in the hunt for a playoff spot, you would think guys with ERAs of 6 (and Mota's was that high last year too) and 7 would be places where improvements could be made.

I guess the reason I bring it up is because if the Brewers do make the playoffs, there is no way I want to see Mota or Gagne come into the game in a key spot. I won't be able to stomach one of those chumps blowing the season and then having to deal with all the media and fans of other teams laughing about it all off-season. At least Stetter is young and homegrown. No shame in losing with a guy like that (though I guess Giants fans would tell you different about Salomon Torres).

Stetter will be back for later this season if he doenst slump in the minors. Mota should be on his last leg, and a bod outing or two the Crew will have to move on as he has not helped like he should be. I cant see Melvin letting his contract getting in the way of improving the team when they are on the verge of making the playoffs with better talent from them minors at their fingertips.

I'm curious to know if there is anything Gagne or Mota could do (on the field) that would result in them being cut.

We have heard that the team is looking for another arm. Assuming that the team finds somebody, who is likely to be removed from the roster? I don't think there is anybody else the team could send down (assuming the team doesn't do something insipid like send down Villenueva).

I'm not sure I totally understand the thinking of the FO here. Maybe they are trying to pull a reverse Linebrink: Maybe they are trying to right Mota so that they can dump him to another contender and then they can go trade for another arm that they want. If the team trades for another arm and then has to DFA Mota, I don't see the point of weakening the roster until the trade occurs. I guess they could just be CYA. If they can't make a deal they like for an arm, they didn't DFA Mota and they can still bring back Stetter in September.

Archived