Brewer Fanatic

Suppan activated, Stetter optioned to AAA

And That

I struggle with Mota because his stuff is so good. If he could figure out his control, he could become a very important piece for this team in the post-season. I hate to say it, but I think I agree w/ Ned on this one. Stetter will still be there, we need to continue to give Mota time to figure it out (he was decently effective last night). His stuff is too good.

I was thinking -- there is that song "Sister Christian" by Night Ranger, and there is that part where the poofy haired guys yell "Motor'en" -- you could conceivably write a song around "Mota's in" -- I wonder if they are still busy with the state fair tour to go to the studio.

Maybe Maddux truly feels that he has Mota's mechanical flaw worked out. All of his pitches were down last night, so that's a start, I guess.

Countdown until his next mechanical flaw resulting in increased levels of sucktitude in 3......2......1.....

I was thinking -- there is that song "Sister Christian" by Night Ranger, and there is that part where the poofy haired guys yell "Motor'en" -- you could conceivably write a song around "Mota's in" -- I wonder if they are still busy with the state fair tour to go to the studio.

A Night Ranger reference. It's now officially a good day. Thanks FTJ. I'm gonna be humming "Mota's In...what's your price for walks" the rest of the night now.

I struggle with Mota because his stuff is so good. If he could figure out his control, he could become a very important piece for this team in the post-season. I hate to say it, but I think I agree w/ Ned on this one. Stetter will still be there, we need to continue to give Mota time to figure it out (he was decently effective last night). His stuff is too good.

Mota's been bad since 2005, I don't see any reason to think he'll turn it around the last two months.

I think this is more Melvin than Yost. He doesn't like to give up on hard throwing relievers. We had the same debate in spring with McClung and whether he should just be DFA'ed and if someone wanted him no dig deal. So I can't say I'm surprised Melvin would do this again even though I'd rather Stetter stayed.

Maybe he's as right about Mota turning it around as he was with McClung but there is a lot more evidence of Mota being what he is than McClung being what he was previous to this year.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Mota's been bad since 2005, I don't see any reason to think he'll turn it around the last two months.

Much like this franchise, he's due?

He has great stuff, he just gets pounded relentlessly. I don't get it, but I'm tired of it already.

Actually, Mota has been terrible since the second half of 2004

I keep hearing how we can't give up on Mota because he still throws hard, well, Mota has been able to throw hard the last four years while he wasn't getting hitters out and stinking up the joint.

Being able to throw 95 is fine and dandy, but if the pitches are grooved right over the plate because Mota has terrible command, why does it matter he still supposedly has "good stuff"? A sizable part of a pitchers "stuff" is being able to throw pitches where hitters can't jack them and not walking to many batters. I don't know if this is a Melvin or Yost call, but when Mota inevitably implodes and cost us games, it's on whoever was dumb enough to ignore that Mota has been bad for years just because he still throws hard.

Maybe he's as right about Mota turning it around as he was with McClung but there is a lot more evidence of Mota being what he is than McClung being what he was previous to this year.

Not really. McClung had 250 terrible IP with Tampa. That's actually more than Mota had thrown since leaving LA (before this year). Now, I'm not 100% convinced that McClung has in fact turned it around, but leaving that aside...there is a difference between the two, but it isn't in the amount of performance to analyze. McClung was in his early 20's when he established that he was a terrible pitcher, and is now at his peak. Mota was in his early to mid 30's (or older if his official age is inaccurate).

Looking back, Mota really only performed like an elite short reliever for 1 2/3 seasons, from 2003 through being traded in 2004. He has been average to lousy the rest of his 10 year career. The only other time he ever posted an ERA+ above 100 was his rookie year, which was a product of some good BABIP luck. It is deeply frustrating to cheer for a team that is dumb enough to think he might be worth keeping around, for any reason.

Mota has been very good versus RH, and awful versus LH. Tough not to use him versus a few LH's though, or it will overwork the other guys.

Stetter can be back in a day if needed. Mota does still throw very hard. He's a serviceable pitcher who may be replaced, but he's the same as many other guys. When you're dealing with a small sample like relievers do, a bad outing or two makes a guy seem much worse than he is.

I just want to say all the Night Ranger references have made my night. Lol.

Figured this would happen, I think had Mota got lit up last night it may have been different but he did well so they send Stetter down. Hopefully Mota keeps it up or Stetter may be back before to long. Or Pena could be up.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

A sizable part of a pitchers "stuff" is being able to throw pitches where hitters can't jack them and not walking to many batters.

I would have to disagree. A pitcher's "stuff" is their inventory of pitches. Location of pitches would fall under their "control" of their "stuff" and "control" is something Mota can't seem to find. I have to believe that Maddux thinks he can fix whatever is wrong, but in the mean time Mota needs a very short leash so he can't blow games.

I think Al was just saying that Mota's not as god-awful as he's being made out to be. Mota, as it turns out, is a ROOGY.

Now if we could just get a manager that knew how to use him... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

No its just Al saying that the sample size is too small to judge and then using an even smaller sample to say Mota's been ok. Of course Mota dominated LHers last year while RHers killed him.....

(It's like its entirely BABIP driven or something!)

Archived