Brewer Fanatic

Jon Rauch to Diamondbacks

That gives the Diamondbacks a pretty solid back end of the bullpen. I'm not sure who will close, as Lyon has done a great job up to his last two appearances, and a solid job nonetheless. I'm also kind of shocked that Bonifacio is all it took to get Rauch. Looking at his numbers, he looks a lot like Alcides Escobar, but at a less premium defensive position and older. Great acquisition for the snakes.

The kid the Nats got is 23 and doing well in AAA. Comparing him to Taylor Green, or any A ball kid, is pointless. Even the Huntsville 4 is not in AAA, though Gamel projects higher, and Escobar obviously does and is untouchable.

I'm sure the Crew can get a plus relief guy for Gamel, but choose not to. After all, 30 innings is just 30 innings.

EDIT: 30 referring to this year, of course. Rauch is not a FA, however, but many deals can be made in the offseason.

I dunno... sub-.400 SLG at age 23 in Triple-A, and sub-.400 SLG at age 22 in Double-A... doesn't look all that good, but that's just me. Low BB totals along with a lack of power don't tend to project well to MLB. Listed at 5'11" & 180 lbs., it appears that the Nats just got themselves a speedy slap hitter.

He does appear to be a good base-stealer, so maybe Bowden is just another GM that overvalues speed. Gotta imagine the return for a RP as effective as Rauch could have/should have been better, especially since he's under salary control for another season.

Also, for those wanting to search on the youngster, his name is spelled Emilio Bonifacio

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The kid the Nats got is 23 and doing well in AAA

That's a pretty big stretch. He's batting .302/.348/.387. I wouldn't call a .735 OPS in AAA doing well, even for a middle infielder/center fielder. Throw in that he's only had one decent season, in A ball, and I don't see him as much of a haul.

EDIT: Thanks for beating me to the punch, TLB. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/devil.gif

What a steal for arizona. Bonifacio projects as nothing more than an average player if he ever makes it. He's as likely to become the next Hernan Irribaren as an every day player. You have to wonder if Arizona has pictures of Jim Bowden or something.

This is like us offering up Brad Nelson to Oakland for Street.

What an embarrassingly feeble return for 2 1/3 years of Rauch at under 3 mil per yr. Bonifacio didn't even make Rotoworld's midseason top 150 prospects lists that was just released. He won't hit well enough in the bigs to be a regular at any position other than SS, and he doesn't play defense well enough for that. He doesn't walk and he has struck out an awful lot in the minors for a guy with no power -- in other words, he's exactly the sort of guy that projects as a much lousier hitter in the bigs than in the minors.

He's a base stealer. Yippitty Doo.

Bowden just boldly leapt to the top of the dumbest GM standings.

What an embarrassingly feeble return for 2 1/3 years of Rauch at under 3 mil per yr. Bonifacio didn't even make Rotoworld's midseason top 150 prospects lists that was just released. He won't hit well enough in the bigs to be a regular at any position other than SS, and he doesn't play defense well enough for that. He doesn't walk and he has struck out an awful lot in the minors for a guy with no power -- in other words, he's exactly the sort of guy that projects as a much lousier hitter in the bigs than in the minors.

He's a base stealer. Yippitty Doo.

Bowden just boldly leapt to the top of the dumbest GM standings.

Bowden already had a spot in the dumb GM standings, this just further cements his place. Even for him this is a terrible trade and i'm kinda bummed Melvin didn't make a call, Rauch has an incredibly team friendly contract. Even if Rauch was just a rental the trade looks terrible. Trades like this make me so glad i'm not a Nats fan.

Sabean i'm a bit torn on

Yea he's made quite a few really head scratching signings, his trade with the Twins where he gave away Nathan/Liriano/Bonser was one of the worst in history, and Bonds played a huge huge role in the Giants success. With that said, Sabean did in most years put together good pitching staffs and some decent hitters around Bonds for those Giants teams that won a lot of games for multiple years.

I would never hire the guy to be GM if i was an owner, but even with as insanely productive Bonds was for the Giants/Sabean, one great player won't make teams a winner as Arod showed with Texas. With the Giants badly needing to rebuild, they likely would be better off getting a new GM, but Sabean did some good things for that franchise in his tenure.

I think the Nats return is more like Hernan Irribarren or Callix Crabbe then Taylor Green. That does understate things a bit, still I've gotta think that there was some strange fascination because I'm pretty sure Doug could have and would have done better otherwise.

Archived