Brewer Fanatic

Astros trade for Randy Wolf, fall into a tie for last place hours later.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At best it will allow them to finish 6 or 7 games out of the wild card instead of 10.

Don't forget that they'll be able to draft from a poorer position, too!

Instead of trading for players they should instead shop Tejada and Lee.

My thoughts exactly. They could get premium returns for those two right now. I genuinely think that McLane is devoted to grabbing what he thinks of as superstar players & then cobbling together a roster around them. It's like a 'Pre-2008-NY Yankees Light' approach to organizational building/rebuilding. I'm exceedingly happy that I'm not an Astros fan.

EDIT: Thanks to AndThat, for the much more descriptive thread title. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

That said, some disparaging Wolf were saying the Crew should get him a couple weeks ago.

I would have been in favor of the Brewers getting Wolf because it would make sense to a team like the Brewers, whereas that team:

a)is contending,

b)could use the depth, and

b)does not have Crawford boxes in their left field.

I'm loving the changes to the title of this thread.

"Astros trade for Randy Wolf"

"Astros trade for Randy Wolf, for some reason."

"Astros will themselves into 4th place contendership, trade for Randy Wolf"

Looking at the Elias rankings at the end of last year, Randy Wolf made the list as the 55th best NL starting pitcher. The lowest ranked Class B NL starting pitcher was 42nd ranked Rich Hill of the Cubs. Wolf's ranking at the end of 2008 will benefit from his 2006 stats being removed from the evaluation (only 56 IP and a 5.56 ERA).

His brutal record away from Petco and a suspect Astro relief core does project him to significantly improve his 2008 season stats.

There are a number of starting pitchers ranked ahead of him (Capuano, Matt Morris, Freedy Garcia, etc.) that will fall in the rankings offset by pitchers ranked below (Lincecum and Lohse) that will likely pass him up.

the only way this makes sense is if they think they can sign Wolf and thought Reineke just wasn't going to pan out. Or they feel they can pitch him for a start or two then spin him off for something they like as much or more than Reineke.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

There are a number of starting pitchers ranked ahead of him (Capuano, Matt Morris, Freedy Garcia, etc.) that will fall in the rankings offset by pitchers ranked below (Lincecum and Lohse) that will likely pass him up.

So basically, they're:

- Paying extra money

- Getting a bad pitcher

- Losing a marginal pitching prospect from an already decimated system

...for no draft compensation.

I can't hang this on Wade -- iirc the owner (McLane) is the one that's been pushing for things like signing Lee, getting Tejada.

Exactly. Hunsicker left the Astros a few years ago for that very reason. He is an excellent GM - and guess where he is now? Senior VP, Baseball Operations with the Rays. Part of why I'm not too surprised by their improvement.

Nice catch -- thanks for sharing that, brett.

So basically, they're:

- Paying extra money

- Getting a bad pitcher

- Losing a marginal pitching prospect from an already decimated system

...for no draft compensation.

Yeah... and?

http://gritsngrace.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/alfred.jpg

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The only way I see this making sense is if he's a Type A free agent, so they get the picks ... However, I don't think pitching at Minute Maid is going to improve that status.

Great point Brian. This to me just seems very dumb on the part of the Astros. They are not even close to being "in it".

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I can see it now - after Cecil Cooper accepts the 2008 World Series trophy at the Texas Juice Box, he'll tell the media the real motivator for the Astros: this thread on a Brewers fan site that he totally printed out and posted on their bulletin board. It lit a fire under each and every one of them.

Really, though, the only dream that's being crushed tonight is the Pirates' dream of being the only 6th place team in the MLB.

Someone should archive the various titles given this thread to date.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived