Brewer Fanatic

Astros trade for Randy Wolf, fall into a tie for last place hours later.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Padres send Wolf to Astros

By Tom Krasovic

July 22, 2008

The Padres have dealt left-hander Randy Wolf to the Astros for Chad Reineke, a Triple-A pitcher who has averaged nearly a strikeout per inning.

A key part of the deal for the Padres is the potential financial savings. Wolf is due a $175,000 bonus for every start he makes up to his 30th start, in addition to pro-rated payments on a $4.75 million salary.

The Padres also have two starting pitchers due to come off the disabled list in coming weeks: Chris Young and Shawn Estes.

Reineke, 26, is 5-9 with a 4.41 ERA. A starter, he has 100 strikeouts and 35 walks in 112.1 innings this season. Entering this year, he had a 3.52 career ERA with a strikeout per inning.

Wolf was 6-10 with a 4.74 ERA.

What are they thinking? I guess its better than him becoming a Cardinal.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

as frustrating as our manager/front office my sometimes be, I am so thankful that I am not an Astros fan. This team has set itself back several years thinking they can contend with the Miggy and Valverde trades. What is even the point of this?
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Huh? Well looks like the Brewers have another lefty in the division to feast on.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Huh? Well looks like the Brewers have another lefty in the division to feast on.

So do we.

I think the Astros still think that what happened in 2004 and 2005 should happen every year. Those comebacks were once in a lifetime happenings and they managed to do it twice. They'd be better oiff trying to restock their farm system.

I can't hang this on Wade -- iirc the owner (McLane) is the one that's been pushing for things like signing Lee, getting Tejada. I'd have to imagine he's throwing his weight around on this one, too. Why you would give away a decent young P for Randy Wolf... man. That'd be like dealing away three young arms for Scott Linebrink or something! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Something tells me Mr. Wolf's numbers are going to take a bretty big hit when he switches from pitching 1/2 his games in Petco to the juicebox.

Absolutely confusing trade by the Astros, other than they really have nothing promising in their rotation to speak of with Oswalt out

I can't hang this on Wade -- iirc the owner (McLane) is the one that's been pushing for things like signing Lee, getting Tejada. I'd have to imagine he's throwing his weight around on this one, too. Why you would give away a decent young P for Randy Wolf... man. That'd be like dealing away three young arms for Scott Linebrink or something! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

At least we were in contention at the time, not only are the 10 games back but they also would need to leapfrog 8 TEAMS. Yeah good luck with that.

The Astros have arguably the worst farm system in baseball, and they traded their 7th best prospect ("best" relatively speaking, of course), a pitching prospect no less, for 9.5 weeks of Randy Wolf? Don't they need more pitching for the future?

Good move going forward for the Brewers, Cubs, Cardinals, Pirates and Reds.

The Astros should be sellers, not buyers right now. Giving up anything for Wolf just doesn't make much sense for Houston right now. At best it will allow them to finish 6 or 7 games out of the wild card instead of 10. Instead of trading for players they should instead shop Tejada and Lee. See if they can at least get some players for the future for some of those guys.

Looking forward to a Wolf beat down at Miller Park this weekend.

How does Ed Wade consistently have a job? Or is this more of an owner pressure type of deal.

If they needed pitching why didn't they just bring up the kid from AAA, he looks like he would be better than Wolf anyways

Archived