Brewer Fanatic

MLB.com Top 50 prospects

olliegjw

Two new prospect lists did just come out, though.

Rotoworld:

15. Mat Gamel

"Gamel has the stick of a top-10 prospect, but with anything more than batting gloves on his hands, he scarcely resembles a major leaguer. Especially now that LaPorta is gone, the Brewers have good reason to try him in the outfield. While he's a fair enough athlete, there's simply no way he's making it at third base. Gamel's bat should be ready during the first half of next year, assuming that it isn't already. The left-handed hitter makes an awful lot of hard contact and could settle in as a 25-homer guy. He's hit .398 against lefties this year, so it doesn't appear that he'll need to be platooned. The Brewers probably won't be willing to move Corey Hart to center field to make room for him, but he could be the first player called on in the event of an injury next year."

26. Alcides Escobar

80. Angel Salome

131. Taylor Green

Surprised to see Jeremy Jeffress missing. Jonathan Lucroy wouldn't have been out of place late on the list, either.

Matt LaPorta was #5, Jake Arrieta #69, and Will Inman #70. UW-Stevens Point alumnus Jordan Zimmerman (Nats) was #64.

Project Prospect (top 25):

Gamel is #16, up two spots.

After going yard 13 times in April/May, has just 2 HR in June/July; still, .428 overall wOBA.
LaPorta is static at #4.

Surprised to see Jeremy Jeffress missing. Jonathan Lucroy wouldn't have been out of place late on the list, either.
Jeffress is 102.

Well, better that my reading comprehension be poor and Jeffress be appreciated!

Many of us haven't seen him play enough to know either way and I doubt that anyone from Rotoworld or BA has either. I'm sure that's the opinion of a trusted scout, and while it doesn't mean the opinion isn't valid, we can only hope that he does in fact stick at 3B. Quite honestly I'm more willing to accept Money's opinion of him than I am the opinion of a national publication.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Minor League News named Gamel the #1 overall prospect in baseball. Yes, you read that correctly. I'm not a subscriber, so I don't know who the other 49 are, but they do have a couple cool Gamel graphics. For anyone who is a subscriber, is this worth paying for? It's pretty cheap ($11.99/year).

http://www.minorleaguenews.com/graphics/baseball/Graphics/2008/07/15/players_lg/MLNFAB50Baseball2008Top.jpg

Haudricourt ranks the Brewers prospects.

1B: Chris Errecard, Class AA Huntsville

2B: Eric Farris, Class A West Virginia

SS: Alcides Escobar, Huntsville

3B: Mat Gamel, Huntsville

C: Angel Salome, Huntsville

LF: Cole Gillespie, Huntsville

CF: Michael Brantley, Huntsville

RF: Caleb Gindl, West Virginia

SP: Jeremy Jeffress, Class A Brevard County

RP: Luis Pena, Class AAA Nashville

Errecar-T, Tom.

Is he saying that Errecart is the top prospect in the organization? Or was he just throwing names out there by position?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

This was a "who's the top prospect-by-position"

Almost guaranteed that Errecart is not top 5 on anyone's list. Some names that aren't on the list -- Lucroy, T. Green -- are ommited because another prospect (Salome, Gamel, respetively) are listed at that position.

Archived