Brewer Fanatic

Brewers "expected to sign" Jay Gibbons to a minor league deal

I like the letter to the other teams as well. Shows they guy knew he screwed up and is swallowing his pride and is admitting it. Would that a be a "good character point" or would that be overruled by the fact that he used HGH? In any case, might be a good option for some depth. Put him in the minors and see how it goes.

Sounds like just another low-risk, high-reward signing. Sometimes they work (Gabe Kapler, Cirillo from a couple of years ago), and sometimes they don't and you move on with little consequence (Jeff Weaver, Julian Tavarez). I'm not getting myself too excited about this either way.

Another link from mlbtraderumors.com

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.bbnotes22jul22,0,5720289.story

He might be up in September I would think. I'll root for him just like I root for Juan Pierre. They both played for the Manitowoc Skunks in the Northern League when there was a team here. I met both of them and have their autographs on a ball with a bunch of guys who never amounted to anything.

Sounds like just another low-risk, high-reward signing. Sometimes they work (Gabe Kapler, Cirillo from a couple of years ago), and sometimes they don't and you move on with little consequence (Jeff Weaver, Julian Tavarez). I'm not getting myself too excited about this either way.

Exactly... I wasn't moved either way when the Brewers signed Branyan. And certainly didn't expect Kapler to make the team when we signed him... and look at what happens. The guy has stated he would play for free... throw him the minimum... add some experience to Nashville, you never know what could happen to the big league club. After the season... thank him for his time and we move on. At this point... he wouldn't be blocking anyone by getting some reps in Nashville.

Branyan's capable of playing a corner OF spot if someone went down...I don't really see a need for him, unless the plan is just to have him sit at the end of the bench in September as another PH option.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I'm sorry, but cannot even fathom how on earth anyone could even complain about this. It costs the Brewers next to nothing to do and can only have a positive affect. If he's not hitting well prior to 9/1, cut him loose, if he is, bring him up as another left-hand bat on the bench. It would seem some are not happy unless they are complaining.

I'm sorry, but cannot even fathom how on earth anyone could even complain about this.

I think to some people, it's the idea that having that new player in the organization forces people to look the other way about their production in order to use them. I'm not saying that's what will happen, but if there's a downside to the signing, that would probably be it.

The only reason I'm ever really down on a minor league signing is if it's blocking a prospect. Otherwise, have at it.

Archived