Brewer Fanatic

Probable pitchers for Cubs series

brew4you

Looks to me like the pitching match-ups favor the Cubs in the series -- Sabathia's start is the only one that I'd say would favor the Brewers, Sheets and Zambrano is a push, Dempster probably has a slight edge on Parra, and Harden is a large advantage over Bush (especially a Bush that hasn't been getting consistent starts). Hopefully the Brewers will be able to chase the starters early and go to work on the bullpen.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Looks to me like the pitching match-ups favor the Cubs in the series -- Sabathia's start is the only one that I'd say would favor the Brewers, Sheets and Zambrano is a push, Dempster probably has a slight edge on Parra, and Harden is a large advantage over Bush (especially a Bush that hasn't been getting consistent starts). Hopefully the Brewers will be able to chase the starters early and go to work on the bullpen.

I might give the slight edge to Parra. Dempster hasn't been very good on the road. And who knows maybe Bush will be brilliant at home. Even with our 2 aces going this series, I'll be happy with 2 W's.

Any chance we shuffle to rotation to get Soup a start instead of Bush. Soup at home + vs. Cubs might be a good combo

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Looks to me like the pitching match-ups favor the Cubs in the series
FWIW, simply based on home/road ERA splits, the pitching match-ups actually favor the Brewers.

1. Sabathia (2.40 Home ERA as a Brewer [3.69 overall]) vs. Lilly (3.78 Road ERA) --- Adv. Sabathia

2. Sheets (2.96 Home ERA) vs. Zambrano (3.84 Road ERA) -- Adv. Sheets

3. Parra (3.02 Home ERA) vs. Dempster (3.42 Road ERA) -- Adv. Parra

4. Bush (2.49 Home ERA) vs. Harden (1.29 Road ERA as a Cub [2.94 overall]) - Adv. Harden depending on the numbers you use

I know thats not all-encompassing, just a glimpse at things.

Anyone remember the post a couple weeks ago prior to the Rockies and Reds? Something along the lines of, I have never seen such horrible pitchers...? You just never know.

One thing I do know, is I am still somewhat shocked at the quality of the pitching match-ups for a Brewers-Cubs series. Hasn't exactly been the norm around here.

I say the pitching is near a wash with the Crew perhaps having a slight advantage. However considering how drastic the Cubs Home/Road splits are both offensively and for pitching, I might be dissappointed with a split. They are quite simply and entirely different team on the road, not as crazy as us last year but they are way better at Wrigley. Virtually every key contributor has major home/Road splits.

Zambrano is hiding an injury so I'll give the advantage to Sheets, especially at home. Zambrano is basically shot putting the ball to the plate and I'd be shocked if another DL stint isn't coming soon.

To throw batters off, maybe the Maddux can teach Bush Dempster's "butterfly glove" trick he does during his delivery. Or maybe he can let out a Maria Sharapova sized grunt when delivering the ball. Or better yet, maybe he can have a laser implanted in his glove that zeros in on the batters eye as the ball is released. This would even out the Harden matchup for sure.

I like the matchups for the Brewers. Especially with Zambrano going against Sheets. Should be a blast to watch.

I'd be shocked if another DL stint isn't coming soon.

As long as it comes after we put a 5-spot on him in 3 IP, that's fine by me. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I posted this in the Cubs fans worry thread, but these are the recent stats for our pitchers:

Last 6 starts

CC 1.91 ERA (2.19 over last 9)

Ben 3.29 (2.85 over last 9)

Parra 2.08 (2.51 over last 9)

Bush 1.64 in last 6 home starts (2.70 over last 9, including 3 road games)

When Benny is your worst starter for the series, I have to like our chances.

Archived